Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Adding satellite to Orbi RBR50

BasilB
Aspirant

Adding satellite to Orbi RBR50

I want to add a satellite to existing RBR50 +RBS50 network. The RBS20 is a lot cheaper so I wonder if adding one of those instead of another 50 will degrade overall system performance. I know in some systems the network will slow down to the slowest component.

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Adding satellite to Orbi RBR50

As long as you aren't putting the RBS20 in the middle and using a daisy chain setup, you'll be fine.

What I mean by that is going from 

RBR50-->RBS20-->RBS50  using daisy chain. since the rbs20 has a 2x2 backhaul it'd slow the rbs50 down. If you went:

RBR50-->RBS50-->RBS20  you'd see no degradation.  

Again this is only applicable if you're using daisy chain setup. If you're not, then you won't need to worry about it. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000048458/What-is-daisy-chain-and-how-does-it-work-with-my-Orbi-WiFi-System

Message 2 of 6
BasilB
Aspirant

Ah ok I get it. The 2 satellites would be going direct to the router (using ethernet via a switch) so it should be ok.

Message 3 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the ethernet switch in the configuration.

Diasy Chain would be disabled if the satellites are connected via ethernet. 

@BasilB wrote:

Ah ok I get it. The 2 satellites would be going direct to the router (using ethernet via a switch) so it should be ok.

Message 4 of 6
BasilB
Aspirant

Netgear GS108.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Yes, you'll be fine with this switch.

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@BasilB wrote: