Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Additional Orbi Satellite availability in UK?

MattHopkins
Guide

Additional Orbi Satellite availability in UK?

Does anyone have information / dates on when we can purchase an additional Orbi Satellite to extend our system?  I have great coverage for two-thirds of my home and "ok" coverage for the remaining third.  I would really like the additional satellite but they are still not available here in the UK for some reason.  

Could someone from Netgear or a reseller/partner give me an idea of when they will be available (and why they aren't already on sale?)?

Thanks

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 30

Accepted Solutions
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Should be available in UK early Q2. Maybe a bit earlier if possible.

DarrenM

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 30

All Replies
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Should be available in UK early Q2. Maybe a bit earlier if possible.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 30
MattHopkins
Guide

Thanks for responding... it's a shame that it won't be sooner.

Message 3 of 30

you must have a huge home , or lots of solid walls , as the router and sat here cover my 250smtr home with ease

Message 4 of 30
MattHopkins
Guide

Solid walls, three-story Victorian terrace not large but just with a layout and structure where three devices makes more sense that two for me. I can get full coverage by moving the router and satellite to a couple of different locations from where I would like them - but they are just a bit awkward (e.g. in a hallway without a table to place it on). 

Message 5 of 30

can i order a satellite from the US?

I bought a set of two and it doesnt cover my 2500 sq foot house

hence need third.

Message 6 of 30

@timweatherall71 wrote:

can i order a satellite from the US?

I bought a set of two and it doesnt cover my 2500 sq foot house

hence need third.

you have other issues if the orbi router and 1 sat cant cover such a small home , you may want to look at other options like power line adapters etc as i suggest you local construction materials and or environment are not conducive to good wifi propagation 

Message 7 of 30

thanks

but could i buy a 2nd satellite from US an dit would work with existing?

Message 8 of 30

yes it would work but you would have to pair it manually and also use a power adapter to convert from usa to uk 

Message 9 of 30

thanks

when are UK ones available?

Message 10 of 30
Postcode
Aspirant

Is there any news

right now can only see ones for sale in US

what is the official line from Netgear?

Message 11 of 30
MattHopkins
Guide

I wish they would hurry. My mobile data bill is looking huge this month because my phone has decided that there is no wifi at all in some parts of my house. 

Someone earlier said that it should be early Q2 - let's hope that means next week. 

Message 12 of 30
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

+1 wishing it comes sooner rather than later.

Building a media room in the garden and this would finish it off !

Message 13 of 30
CST0001
Guide

OK - now in early Q2 - not earlier - can we have an update please on when either the RBK 3 pack or an additional satellite will be available in the UK?  Been in the US for months - not sure why it takes so long to make available over here?  Mr Netgear please can we have an update?  Thanks!

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 14 of 30
Phandam
Apprentice

Will add my voice here as well, as I am not so patiently waiting for satellite availability in Europe (assume timelines are the same for UK and Europe (NL specifically))

Message 15 of 30
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

Still here patiently waiting....

If Mr Netgear is not available for comment, could DarrenM possibly update us instead. Smiley Happy

Billy

Message 16 of 30
MattHopkins
Guide

Hi @DarrenM 

Is there an update on this that you can share please?  My house has been both enhanced and hobbled at the same time.  Half of my house has the best wifi it has ever had and the other half is absolutely terrible - so bad that our devices are connecting to mobile/4G instead and consuming all of our data limits.  

I have tried moving the units around and it doesn't make a difference (other than swapping the good and bad halves). I can only assume that Netgear thought that because houses were smaller in the UK that additional satellites would not be necessary?  But perhaps without considering the age and building materials of our houses? (vs US timber-framed?)

At this point, I will pay a premium to get something - I don't need packaging, just another satellite with UK plug etc.   Any update that you could give would be appreciated and if there is any sort of early-access programme, could I be considered for that also?

Many thanks

Matt

Message 17 of 30

I agree I think Netgear got their research and messaging worng for the UK.

no way 1 router and 1 satellite covers 4000sq feet of UK spec housing eg bricks and mortar.

DEAR NETGEAR 

WHEN WHEN WHEN will we get to but single Satellites here?

Message 18 of 30
Phandam
Apprentice

I think this is case for NL as well, at least in Amsterdam, as the system with one satellite does not reach to all corners of my house (only 150 square meters).     I accept that it is a difficult case for Wifi which is why I need the availability of the additional satellite.    

Message 19 of 30
thebishop
Apprentice

And it is the same for (far) northern europe - houses are built for winter conditions... more satellites to the people! 😉

Message 20 of 30
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Everyone 

I have checked on this again and  they will not be released in Q2 it looks like Q3 is the new launch time. I am very sorry for the inconvenience.

DarrenM

Message 21 of 30
Phandam
Apprentice

Well that is disappointing news, maybe time to start looking into the reviews on the Linksys solution that has satellites available in the EU or be more patient..........

Message 22 of 30
MattHopkins
Guide

That is really disappointing and I am going to have to reconsider my options now perhaps.

@DarrenMas a side note, I do think that you have a bug/flaw in the router.  My Orbi router is currently placed in the exact same place where my single unit routers used to be and devices right next to and certainly within "line of sight" of it do not connect to it and/or if they do, the performance is dreadful.  My iOS devices always want to connect to the Satellite which is on the other side of the house and quite often will simply give up and switch to 4G/mobile rather than try to connect to the router (even after dropping the connection, they do not reconnect to the router).   Perhaps this is part of the issue and is creating the need for an additional satellite where one is not needed?

Message 23 of 30
CST0001
Guide

Hi Darren - could you please feedback to Mr Netgear (!) the huge disappointment from members on this forum?  You would have hoped that Netgear would be aware of building constructions in the markets they serve - yet the focus on having satellite availability in the US but not across Europe - and for me personally the UK - really does seem based on inadequate market knowledge!  This system launched in October in the US - special offers in CostCo for the 3 pack - and yet here we are in Europe still waiting for this over 6 months later - and being told it could be over 9 months before we catch up with our US cousins?  What on earth takes so long to roll out across multinational markets - surely the manufacturing base could ship to multiple markets simultaneously?  Is Netgear really claiming they are supply constrained?  I don't see other manufacturers adopting such a parochial US perspective - and it is clear that many of us are frustrated - some to the point of buying an alternative solution because it is available in Europe - so disappointing when the product seems to be so good!!

Message 24 of 30
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

This is beyond a joke,

05 Dec last year I paid a premium of £398.58 (approx $500) for a whole home Wi-Fi System in the knowledge that I would probably need an additional satellite as I wanted a media room in the garden. I had pretty much accepted that I would have a month or two wait for the additional satellite but went ahead and purchased believing the month or two wait to complete my setup would be worth it in the end.

Never in my wildest dreams did I expect a company like Netgear to basically "do the dirty" and not make the product available.

Now I face at least another 3 month wait (having waited 4 months already) or start looking for alternatives. Obviously replacing the part system to start afresh with another product is out of the question due to the costs involved, so I will end up botching a superb WiFi system to meet my needs whilst I wait for Netgear to finally release an additional satellite that should really have been made available from the launch of the system.

Disappointed is such an understatement - I'm livid. (especially as Netgear has my product of choice for many years and now it feels like a total let down)

Message 25 of 30
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 29 replies
  • 6 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7