Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Additional satellite for RBK50 kit

simonkan
Aspirant

Additional satellite for RBK50 kit

I have brought a set of RBK 50 (RBR50 + RBS50). 

After installation, it is found that there is a room at far end away from the satellite unit with area operating in low speed wifi.

May I add an additional new satellite RBS40 at the far end to work with the RBK 50 kit ?

Alternatively, could I use an additional router RBR40 running at bridge mode at the far end to work with the RBK 50 kit ?

Is it a must for adding additional satellite RBS50 to RBK50 kit, but at higher cost.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Additional satellite for RBK50 kit

Any model of Orbi satellite can be connected to any Orbi router.  The more expensive RBS50 satellite siimply has (a) more ethernet ports, (b) a slightly faster maximum backhaul speed (which is almost never realized in practice), and can be connected to the router with an ethernet cable. (The RBW30 "wall plug" satellite, for example, has no ethernet jack).

I would add a satellite before messing around with trying to include another router.

If no Orbi satellite is availalble, any "WiFi Extender" can be used to extend WiFi coverage.  It simply will not be integrated into the Orbi network.  It wiill still do what WiFi extenders have always done.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 6

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

Any model of Orbi satellite can be connected to any Orbi router.  The more expensive RBS50 satellite siimply has (a) more ethernet ports, (b) a slightly faster maximum backhaul speed (which is almost never realized in practice), and can be connected to the router with an ethernet cable. (The RBW30 "wall plug" satellite, for example, has no ethernet jack).

I would add a satellite before messing around with trying to include another router.

If no Orbi satellite is availalble, any "WiFi Extender" can be used to extend WiFi coverage.  It simply will not be integrated into the Orbi network.  It wiill still do what WiFi extenders have always done.

Message 2 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-router

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@simonkan wrote:

I have brought a set of RBK 50 (RBR50 + RBS50). 

After installation, it is found that there is a room at far end away from the satellite unit with area operating in low speed wifi.

May I add an additional new satellite RBS40 at the far end to work with the RBK 50 kit ?

Alternatively, could I use an additional router RBR40 running at bridge mode at the far end to work with the RBK 50 kit ?

Is it a must for adding additional satellite RBS50 to RBK50 kit, but at higher cost.

Message 3 of 6
simonkan
Aspirant

Thanks, CrimpOn.   Crystal clear. 👍🏼

Message 4 of 6
simonkan
Aspirant

Hi Furrye38, thanks !  

They are approximately 30 feets apart with walls and corridor in between.

By the way, sometimes they run at a speed as high as 280 Mbps, sometimes they drop to 30 Mbps.  At far end dead corner with a working table, it reaches 30Mbps while the router is running at high speed, and getting worse when both the router and satellite are running at lower speed.

Quite unstable the performance of the router & satellite, apart from the issue of far end corner may need an additional satellite at that room.

Message 5 of 6
FURRYe38
Guru

Try some of the suggestions. 

Be sure when you speed testing that you set your wifi device to OFF then back on so it connects to the nearest signal for accurate speed testing. RBR or RBS. Decvices pick and choose the best signal to connect too. And sometimes they won't disconnect from a distance or far signal when your near a better signal, so you have to turn off the devices wifi radio for 5 seconds then back on to have it connect to the better signal. 

A factory reset and set up from scratch maybe needed if you recently updated FW. 

@simonkan wrote:

Hi Furrye38, thanks !  

They are approximately 30 feets apart with walls and corridor in between.

By the way, sometimes they run at a speed as high as 280 Mbps, sometimes they drop to 30 Mbps.  At far end dead corner with a working table, it reaches 30Mbps while the router is running at high speed, and getting worse when both the router and satellite are running at lower speed.

Quite unstable the performance of the router & satellite, apart from the issue of far end corner may need an additional satellite at that room.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7