Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Adjusting signal strength per satellite

AndyKnight
Aspirant

Adjusting signal strength per satellite

Is there a way to adjust the signla strength per satellite from telnet etc?

I would like my rbr40 to be set at one signal strength and my 2 plugin satellites (rbw30's) to be set at a higher strength.  Is this possible?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Having this would probably mess with way the mesh system works. You can adjust the power levels on the router I believe. 

Message 2 of 10
st_shaw
Master

This feature is not available on Orbi, which is a bit disappointing, because adjusting individual AP power levels is standard practice for optimizing roaming performance.  Other managed APs, such as Unifi, have this capability. I supposed it's due to NETGEAR's design goal of keeping things simple to configure, which sometimes involves compromises.

Message 3 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume since this is a MESH system that some features like that are not compatible which could make the MESH system not work right. NG probably chooses to ensure the MESH system works well and lets the system handle everything. Any changes more than this could effect how it all works. Also roaming is mostly handled by the cllient devices and there algorythms as well. 

Message 4 of 10
AndyKnight
Aspirant

The reason I'm asking is because I've had to compromise on where I place the router and satellites so it would be handy to be able to tune the signal strengths of the fronthaul networks on each of the mesh components.
Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 5 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Placement and the signal levels would be handled by the system automatically and where the connections are done by the client devices as well. 

Message 6 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Placement and the signal levels would be handled by the system automatically and where the connections are done by the client devices as well. 

As @AndyKnight indicated, there is often a need to adjust the client radio power of each Orbi AP individually, to achive good coverage without excessive overlap.  Overlap causes difficulties with roaming.  

Message 7 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

Is this maybe something thats already being handled by the system itself? 

Message 8 of 10
st_shaw
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Is this maybe something thats already being handled by the system itself? 

There is no indication that it is being handled. Everything indicates it is not being handled. Properly adjusting the client radio AP power automatically would require input from the coverage area, and there is no physical way for the system to get that.  There is also no precedent for this (that I am aware of) among any other competing systems.

I think the system could theroetically adjust the power on the backhaul though.

Message 9 of 10
FURRYe38
Guru

I presume anything is possible. 

I presume for simplistic reasons and development, NG might not offer this feature...maybe. Would have to ask them. 

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7