Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Admin password recovery

Sniggyj
Initiate

Admin password recovery

I recently tried to login to my Orbi using my admin credentials. This has always worked up until this last effort. When I tried the password recovery option I got asked my security questions and then the admin account name and a temporary password flashed on the screen and then it went back to the security questions. Clearly there’s some kind of problem with the password recovery feature. Has anyone else experienced this? If so, do you have any suggestions? I’ve tried using chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft edge, all with the same results.
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Admin password recovery

Wire connect a PC to the router and factory reset the router using the back push pin button. Hold it in until the top led turns on AMBER then let go. Power OFF the ISP modem for 30 seconds than back on. Wait for the WHITE led to slowly pulsate on top of the RBR, then log in to orbilogin.com using a web browser and walk thru the setup wizard. This time write down all important information for safe keeping later on.

Message 2 of 5
Sniggyj
Initiate

Hmm, I realize that this (factory reset) is an option. My admin password was saved and worked previously. I shouldn’t have to do a reset if the password recovery option worked correctly.
Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

You are correct that the password that was carefully recorded should continue to work.  Setting aside anything dumb like the Caps Lock key being on or the carefully stored password having a typo in it or a letter that looks lower case but should be upper case, there is no way in except password recovery.

The "rub" with password recovery is that when people hit that screen during setup, it is not obvious enough that they have to physically select their three recovery questions and type in answers.  Those are three drop down menus.  Just because it lists "Mother's maiden name" (or something similar) does not mean that is the actual question that will be asked.  I had this happen to me once.  I could swear (DID swear) that I set up password recovery, but I had not.

Anyway, whether this is what happened to you, or some 'gremlin' is to blame, at this there is no other way to get into the Orbi besides the trusty paperclip.

Message 4 of 5
Dean21
Aspirant

To set up password recovery:

1. Launch an Internet browser from a computer or mobile device that is connected to your router’s network.
  2. Type http://www.routerlogin.net or http://www.routerlogin.com.
    A login window opens.
  3. Enter the router user name and password.
    The user name is admin. The default password is password. The user name and password are case-sensitive.
    The BASIC Home screen displays.
  4. Select ADVANCED > Administration > Set Password.
    The Set Password screen displays.
  5. Select the Enable Password Recovery check box.
  6. Select two security questions and provide answers to them.
  7. Click the Apply button.
    Your changes are saved.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7