Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Admin password reset without security questions

starry_night55
Follower

Admin password reset without security questions

I have an Orbi Whole Home WiFi System. My ex set up and registered the device along with creating the security questions. He no longer lives in the house. For reasons I can’t disclose, I cannot contact him for the security answers. I want to change the network name (it’s our initials) and password but can’t do that unless I’m an admin. Since I don’t have his password, I can’t log in. Does anyone know how to do a factory reset on the device so I can register it to me?
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: Admin password reset without security questions

Hi,
There are various registrations resp. passwords:

1. The product registration (based on serial numbers) for support and hardware warranty on my.netgear.com - here your new account (as used for the community login) can be used, the Netgear moderators can help (you will have to provide the serial numbers, ideally the ex email address, and some kind of proof of ownership.

2. The remote access (e.g. used for Orbi App) binding it to a my.netgear.com account - here your new account (as used for the community login) can be used.

3. The admin password - to recover this a factory reset would be required, and the Orbi Router and Satellites must be setup from scratch again.Depending on the Internet access and the environment, things need to be configured accordingly. Tell us more about your Internet access, the ISP, ... so community members familiar with it can help.

4. The wireless network name and the wireless security key (password, passphrase) - you can define these as part of the new configuration.

PS: Can a moderator move this thread to the Orbi community section please?

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Re: Admin password reset without security questions

Hi,
There are various registrations resp. passwords:

1. The product registration (based on serial numbers) for support and hardware warranty on my.netgear.com - here your new account (as used for the community login) can be used, the Netgear moderators can help (you will have to provide the serial numbers, ideally the ex email address, and some kind of proof of ownership.

2. The remote access (e.g. used for Orbi App) binding it to a my.netgear.com account - here your new account (as used for the community login) can be used.

3. The admin password - to recover this a factory reset would be required, and the Orbi Router and Satellites must be setup from scratch again.Depending on the Internet access and the environment, things need to be configured accordingly. Tell us more about your Internet access, the ISP, ... so community members familiar with it can help.

4. The wireless network name and the wireless security key (password, passphrase) - you can define these as part of the new configuration.

PS: Can a moderator move this thread to the Orbi community section please?

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7