Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Advantages of AC3000 over AC2200 other then backhaul?

Cybertrail
Aspirant

Advantages of AC3000 over AC2200 other then backhaul?

I understand that the two unit Orbi AC3000 (RBK50) system is newer and has a better backhaul then the older three unit Orbi AC2200 (RBK23).  HOWEVER, since I am able to connect the satelights with a wired eithernet cable does that advantage become OBE.  Are there any other advantages to the AC3000 system?   

In other words...   Assuming the price is approximatly the same (they are within $6 of eachother on black Friday), would I get faster internet connections using the older three unit AC2200 system with wired backhaul or the newer two unit AC3000 system with wired backhaul?

Thanks in advance.

(Note: This question is very similar to one someone asked in March but the answer they got was not clear so I am giving it another shot.)

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
ekhalil
Master

Re: Advantages of AC3000 over AC2200 other then backhaul?

@Cybertrail wrote:

I understand that the two unit Orbi AC3000 (RBK50) system is newer and has a better backhaul then the older three unit Orbi AC2200 (RBK23).  HOWEVER, since I am able to connect the satelights with a wired eithernet cable does that advantage become OBE.  Are there any other advantages to the AC3000 system?   

In other words...   Assuming the price is approximatly the same (they are within $6 of eachother on black Friday), would I get faster internet connections using the older three unit AC2200 system with wired backhaul or the newer two unit AC3000 system with wired backhaul?

Thanks in advance.

(Note: This question is very similar to one someone asked in March but the answer they got was not clear so I am giving it another shot.)

You are right. Both the AC2200 and AC3000 have exactly the same Fronthaul capability, So max speed of 400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps on 5 GHz, both using max of 2 spacial streams.

The difference is in the Backhaul capability and if you will be using wired backhaul that will give you no difference when it comes to Backhaul,

On the other hand, the AC3000 units have bigger antennas (the units are physically bigger as well) and provide better coverage. That's why the same number of units (router + satellites) provide better coverage in the AC3000 series than the AC2200 series. In the specs RBK53 gives coverage of 7,500 sq ft while the RBK23 gives only 6,000 sq ft.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Main difference between the 50 series and 40/20 series is the supported connection rates. The 20/40 series support 867Mb while the 50 series support 1700Mb. The connection rate is just that a rate of speed between the Orbi and connected devices only. Just a bigger pipe connection between deices is all. I have a 40 series system have great operation and performance in a 5000sq ft home. Building size and materials can impact this as well. 

Message 2 of 5
ekhalil
Master

@Cybertrail wrote:

Thanks in advance.

You are right. Both the AC2200 and AC3000 have exactly the same Fronthaul capability, So max speed of 400 Mbps on 2.4 GHz and 867 Mbps on 5 GHz, both using max of 2 spacial streams.

The difference is in the Backhaul capability and if you will be using wired backhaul that will give you no difference when it comes to Backhaul,

On the other hand, the AC3000 units have bigger antennas (the units are physically bigger as well) and provide better coverage. That's why the same number of units (router + satellites) provide better coverage in the AC3000 series than the AC2200 series. In the specs RBK53 gives coverage of 7,500 sq ft while the RBK23 gives only 6,000 sq ft.

Message 3 of 5
Cybertrail
Aspirant

Thanks!

Message 4 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Good Luck. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7