Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: After endless tries and NetGear Support Orbi continues to be at 50% of modem speed

woodchuck
Aspirant

After endless tries and NetGear Support Orbi continues to be at 50% of modem speed

Orbi worked great for 10 months, but has gone down hill over the last 2 months.  I have been on the phone with netgear nearly 8 hours over past week.  And that doesnt include the 40 min wait times for each call.  Firmware 2.1.1.16 may be the nail in Orbis coffin.

The netgear support is not great  C- at best.  They reas scripts and dont listen at all.  I have done sppedtest and wifi analyzer on every corner of my house.  My neighbors wifi 200 feet away is stonger than Orbi at 40 feet from router.

I have slow speeds and dropped conections.  I finally moved the routher 30 feet today to be in middle of house and the satellite seemed to work finally.  Speeds were around 100MBPS.  As I write this post its gone down to 65MBPS even by the router.  The Modem is still at 115MBPS.

Is it time to throw in the towel on Orbi.  So many great reviews, but over the past month, who would want to go thru this hassle.  What are your recommendations for an alternate?

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 5
guzzijason
Apprentice

Re: After endless tries and NetGear Support Orbi continues to be at 50% of modem speed

If you feel the degradation corresponds to the firmware update, I would try reverting to the previous version before throwing in the towel completely.

Message 2 of 5
Legendary
Star

What I don’t get is why our Orbis all worked great when we first got them, but with each new firmware, it gets worse and worse?

I wonder if this is Netgears Attempt to annualize Router purchases like iPhones or something.

Just a complete embarrassment to the company. This is supposed to be the best in the market. And it’s clealry the worst.
Message 3 of 5
woodchuck
Aspirant

I took your advice.  I reloaded the older firmware, moved the router 25 feet to be more in the center of the basement, and used wifi analyzer to check out any channel interference.  Orbi is performing closer to 100MBPS now 2 hours in....fingers crossed!

I wish netgear would have just recommended doing this is the first place.

I changed the firmware update from auto to english...so I hope I dont get another auto push.

Message 4 of 5
webminster
Luminary

That isn't firmware update control.  That's the GUI language setting.  That won't stop auto-update.  You need to use the telnet technique discussed elsewhere in the forum to try to prevent auto-updates.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7