Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

After resetting XFINITI Modem, Orbi no longer works

StanSmith
Aspirant

After resetting XFINITI Modem, Orbi no longer works

After resetting (unplug for 10 seconds and reconnect) my xfiniti modem, my orbi router is longer functioning. I needed to reconfigure it which is OK, but is this normal? 
1. Unplugged xfiniti modem
2. Unplugged Orbi router

3. Plugged xfinit modem back, acquired IP address > now solid gray color

4. Plugged Orbi, but it is not functioning

I had previously configured my xfiniti modem in bridge mode so that the routing functions are done by the Orbi router, how can the xfiniti modem return to default after unplugging/replugging? I didnt not put the modem in factory condition (as new).. it should have kept its bridge mode, or am I missing something? 

Anyone seen this before? Thanks in advance. Stan. 

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions

Re: After resetting XFINITI Modem, Orbi no longer works

@StanSmith wrote:

After resetting (unplug for 10 seconds and reconnect) my xfiniti modem, my orbi router is longer functioning. I needed to reconfigure it which is OK, but is this normal?

Randomly playing around with your network gubbins is likely to mess things up. You have to perform these actions in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@StanSmith wrote:

Anyone seen this before?

All the time. It is a common mistake.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies

@StanSmith wrote:

Randomly playing around with your network gubbins is likely to mess things up. You have to perform these actions in the right order.

Be sure to restart your network in this sequence:

• Turn off and unplug modem.
  • Turn off router and computers.
  • Plug in and turn on modem. Wait 2 minutes for it to connect.
  • Turn on the router and wait 2 minutes for it connect.
  • Turn on computers and rest of network.

@StanSmith wrote:

Anyone seen this before?

All the time. It is a common mistake.

Message 2 of 5
StanSmith
Aspirant

Thank you, it worked. I regret to say that after I set up my 2 satellites again, that it worked for about 15 minutes again then I tried to access my Orbi Router via the App and it is no longer visible... seemed the routing functions went back again to the xfiniti modem (which has a built in router), even though when I set this up it was correctly done: Turned OFF the routing functions in the xifinit modem by putting in bridge mode.. but it seems that after this happened, the xfiniti modem simply reverts back to default by doing the routing. What do you think? thanks very much in advance. 

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 3 of 5
StanSmith
Aspirant

It worked, thank you. Had to go back and put my Router back in Bridge mode. Very odd that it lost it after unplugging for 10 seconds. Thanks very much, much appreciated. 

Message 4 of 5

Glad it worked. Thanks for confirming that the standard stuff still holds.

@StanSmith wrote:

Had to go back and put my Router back in Bridge mode. Very odd that it lost it after unplugging for 10 seconds.

If you reset the XFINITI it will automatically be in default mode. So it breaks the bridge setting. That's what "reset" is for. 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7