Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

AirPrint/BonJour devices not discoverable when connected to Guest Network (ORBI RBK50/RBR50 system)

pvillemd
Aspirant

AirPrint/BonJour devices not discoverable when connected to Guest Network (ORBI RBK50/RBR50 system)

I recently installed a new ORBI RBK50 system with a single satellite node. Network was configured fine (except the initial setup which was a nightmare...partially due to Comcast denying my internet connection after they detected I changed my gateway device, that's a different discussion) and I can see and identify all of my connected devices. I have a guest network enabled and my Canon AirPrint capable printer is attached to the guest network. We go to print and discover that the printer can not be seen on any iOS device nor my main iMac. After installing new printer firmware, rebooting the ORBI system, still had no luck. (Everything worked fine before switching to the ORBI system). Then decided to switch the printer to the main network. Voila, the printer is now discoverable by everyone on the main network. ATTENTION ORBI/NETGEAR SOFTWARE ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT - CHECK YOUR GUEST NETWORK SOFTWARE FOR BONJOUR/AIRPRINT BUGS PLEASE!!! I'm not saying there is one, but if it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck...
Message 1 of 5
ekhalil
Master

Re: AirPrint/BonJour devices not discoverable when connected to Guest Network (ORBI RBK50/RBR50 syst

If you attach your printer to the guest network then you need to change a setting in the web GUI that enables the guest devices to see the devices in the main network.
Message 2 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: AirPrint/BonJour devices not discoverable when connected to Guest Network (ORBI RBK50/RBR50 syst

Not only that, but when a printer is connected to the Guest network, the normal "guest" settings will not allow any device to print to it.

The Guest network (on the web interface) clearly shows option:

Allow guests to see each other and access my local network

Unless this box is checked, devices on the Guest network (a) cannot see each other (i.e. the printer), and (b) cannot access the primary network.

I agree that there are a lot of other ways Netgear could have set up the Guest network, such as (a) all the Guests can see every device on the Guest network, and (b) devices on the primary network can open a connection to devices on the Guest network.  But, those may be a lot harder to program.  Anyway, they did what they did.

Message 3 of 5
pvillemd
Aspirant

Fair enough. I should have logged into the web interface and poked around. (I honestly didn't know it existed, but again bad on me because most do).

However, they should update the firmware to allow guests to see each other but *NOT* into the main network. That's the main point of the guest network. I don't want guest clients bleeding into my main network and have knowlegdge or access to any main network devices. The code can't be that difficult to implement. The devices are all on the same subnet between guest and main networks, so they're doing something to limit visibility with each other already. The router knows which devices are connected to the guest network. Doesn't seem like it's much of an extension at that point. Netgear, what do you think?? Get me an update!

Message 4 of 5
ekhalil
Master

There are many others who think that guests -by default- are not supposed to see each other.
Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7