Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Airplay 2 question - does it work well?

Zamzoo
Aspirant

Airplay 2 question - does it work well?

Not bought one yet, but currently a Velop refugee who is sending that back after the poor airplay (1/2) support and being told by Linksys to contect the Airplay vendor for a fix..

Does aiplay work well on Orbi when you're streaming from your phone to an audio device?

No pauses or disconnects as you swap nodes?

With velop I would get an occasional 5 second pause when moving around, looking to avoid this or any other issues that affect continuous listening. 

Message 1 of 12
ekhalil
Master

I use Airplay regularly with Apple TV with no problems at all.

Never used it with HomePod or other audio devices.

Message 2 of 12
Zamzoo
Aspirant

Hmm, with apple TV you may be sitting still while streaming right?

The issues I'm trying to avoid is where you're moving around (even in the same room) and get dropouts - potentially when you move from one node to another. 

Message 3 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Zamzoo wrote:

Hmm, with apple TV you may be sitting still while streaming right? 

The issues I'm trying to avoid is where you're moving around (even in the same room) and get dropouts - potentially when you move from one node to another. 

I think that the drops while roaming depends much on the device and how it handles roaming and if it supports all the roaming enhancement standards. I believe that if there are mobility drops then you would see this in all other applications not only Airplay!

In Orbi it's just important to have enough overlaping between the nodes to make roaming possible.

Please have a look at this briefing regarding roaming in Orbi: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Roaming-in-Orbi-and-Roaming-Enhancement-Standards/m-p/1680947#...

Message 4 of 12
perhorn
Tutor

Hi,

Works with HomePod with no problems - have had 2 HomePods, one Apple TV and several IOS devices for months.

Message 5 of 12
Zamzoo
Aspirant

Thanks!

So there’s no issues with playback halting or pausing if you transition from node to node from your phone?

I get cutouts when my phone jumps node on the Velop, very annoying.
Message 6 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Zamzoo wrote:
I get cutouts when my phone jumps node on the Velop, very annoying.

Why not trying Orbi then? 😉

Message 7 of 12
Zamzoo
Aspirant

I’m willing to, but not hearing anyone confirm that they can transition between nodes and not suffer airplay halts yet.

I’ve read the links you posted. Velop supports 802.11v which my iPhone XS also does but I still have issues, so while useful information doesn’t hugely clear things up for me yet.
Message 8 of 12
perhorn
Tutor

No issues at all!
Message 9 of 12
ekhalil
Master

@Zamzoo wrote:
I’m willing to, but not hearing anyone confirm that they can transition between nodes and not suffer airplay halts yet.

I’ve read the links you posted. Velop supports 802.11v which my iPhone XS also does but I still have issues, so while useful information doesn’t hugely clear things up for me yet.

@perhorn has just confirmed that 🙂

Thanks @perhorn 

Message 10 of 12
DavidmCA
Aspirant

I have been using Orbi with airplay for a while I have Apple TV’s and Sonos one speakers I have no trouble with roaming in the house or most of the backyard if I have good connection I rarely hear gaps or skips
Message 11 of 12
perhorn
Tutor

...but when will they create and sell the Orbi voice/speaker/router that can play as a Airplay2 speaker (and with a better sound wuality then the tests indicate the current avaiable android protocol plays)?
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7