Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Airplay/Chromecast on a "smart" TV connected to an Orbi guest network?

pozzlux
Aspirant

Airplay/Chromecast on a "smart" TV connected to an Orbi guest network?

I have an Airplay-enabled Vizio "smart" tv connected to my Orbi guest network.  But when I try to Airplay or screen share content to the tv from a phone or tablet, the tv does not appear in the device list.  When I switch the tv and device to my primary network, the tv appears in the device list and they immediately connect without any problem.  I had a similar problem with a Google Chromecast.  It recognized the guest network, but would fail to ultimately connect.  Is there something inherent in a guest network that doesn't allow casting or Airplaying?  Is there a workaround short of allowing the tv access to my primary network?  Thanks.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Airplay/Chromecast on a "smart" TV connected to an Orbi guest network?

@pozzlux wrote:

Thanks very much for the reply.  Nope, as you surmised, that box is not checked.  So, is it the case that allowing them to Airplay to the tv and keeping them out of my primary network are conflicting goals?

Yes, this is correct.  Someone made a design decision years ago to set up Guest WiFi with these two options.  It seems 'obvious' with the benefit of hindsight that there should have been a third option: "Allow guests to see each other but not the primary network."

However, this is not as dire a situation as it may appear.  Yes, with this setting a guest can "see" devices on the primary network.  But, what can they do with regard to these devices? Almost every device has a firewall that rejects connection attempts.  Those that do accept connections almost always require login credentials. (My FTP server for security cameras requires each camera to have a separate user ID and password.)

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@pozzlux wrote:

I have an Airplay-enabled Vizio "smart" tv connected to my Orbi guest network.  But when I try to Airplay or screen share content to the tv from a phone or tablet, the tv does not appear in the device list.  When I switch the tv and device to my primary network, the tv appears in the device list and they immediately connect without any problem.  I had a similar problem with a Google Chromecast.  It recognized the guest network, but would fail to ultimately connect.  Is there something inherent in a guest network that doesn't allow casting or Airplaying?  Is there a workaround short of allowing the tv access to my primary network?  Thanks.

There is a check box on the Guest WiFi setup, "Allow Guests to see each other and access the primary network."

Is it checked?

This is on the Orbi web access interface, not the Orbi 'app'

Message 2 of 5
pozzlux
Aspirant

Thanks very much for the reply.  Nope, as you surmised, that box is not checked.  So, is it the case that allowing them to Airplay to the tv and keeping them out of my primary network are conflicting goals?

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

@pozzlux wrote:

Yes, this is correct.  Someone made a design decision years ago to set up Guest WiFi with these two options.  It seems 'obvious' with the benefit of hindsight that there should have been a third option: "Allow guests to see each other but not the primary network."

However, this is not as dire a situation as it may appear.  Yes, with this setting a guest can "see" devices on the primary network.  But, what can they do with regard to these devices? Almost every device has a firewall that rejects connection attempts.  Those that do accept connections almost always require login credentials. (My FTP server for security cameras requires each camera to have a separate user ID and password.)

Message 4 of 5
pozzlux
Aspirant

Thanks again.  I'll do a survey of all connected devices to make sure they remain inaccessible before I dare to check that little box.  Thank you again for your help.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7