Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Alexa in AP mode - easy workaround

gereta
Aspirant

Alexa in AP mode - easy workaround

I’m fresh owner of Orbi and I was a bit disappointed that in AP mode I cannot use Alexa for enabling/disabling guest network. Even enabling in Netgear Genie the Remote Managemet it doesn’t work. In web interface is the option disabled...??! After searching net for a while I did not find any solution how to fix it. Maybe this helps to someone. Im not sure whether is some better remedy for this out there...

After an hour looking under the Orbi’s hood I found easy workaround. Because service is running and is connected to AWS we need to enable RM.

I have no idea why Netgear disabled this option in AP mode...?!

Howto:

Open in browser: http//your-orbi-router-ip/remote_fail.htm

After warning page the “Netgear’s disabled” remote management page will be displayed.

Tick “Turn Remote Management On” checkbox then click APPLY button and enjoy your Alexa.

Btw: running latest fw at RBK40, but it should work on any

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
gereta
Aspirant

Re: Alexa in AP mode - easy workaround

I would like to add a few comments...

For community guys:

You can jump directly to Remote Managemet page (without redirecting from fail) by entering: http://YOU-ORBI-ROUTER-IP/FW_remote.htm

For Netgear team:

I don't have time to dig into GUI code, but there is set "enable_ap_flag" to 1 and then Remote Management is disabled too (except other required items).

Removing Remote Management out of this dependancy - when "enable_ap_flag=1" will fix the issue and users will be able to set Remote Management accordingly.

If I change in adv_index.htm

var enable_ap_flag="<% cfg_get("ap_mode") %>";//bug 24666 according to the page 128 of spec 2.0,add AP mode

to

var enable_ap_flag=0;

then I get enabled all items in Advanced Setup menu. This is not for regular users, because they can mess up the configuration if they can see all options without knowing the consequences. Would you be so kind and fix this in next release, please.

I know you are reading this! 🙂

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7