Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: All devices connected to router v2.1.1.12

Ondesic
Tutor

All devices connected to router v2.1.1.12

I didn't see a thread dedicated to this so I wanted to post this particular problem with the new firmware 2.1.1.12.

First, I manually installed the Satellites firmware FIRST, then the Router.  By doing this I am NOT having any problems with connectivity, over heating, or restarting. 

HOWEVER, the problem I am encountering is that all 30 devices attached say they are connected to the Router, and apparently nothing is attached to the 2 satellites. Before the update half of my devices were attached to one of the 2 satellites. This must be a bug, right?  My house is big enough that there is no way some of the attached devices could actually be connected to the router, but it says they are.  

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 17
jmschnur923
Luminary

Me too. However all devices seem to have good access (80-90) WiFi  to the internet where ever we are in the house. So I think the sats must be we working?

Message 2 of 17
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Agreed - I didn't post about this because I think it's just a display issue because all connections are good. Hopefully that is the case, but I'd like to prove that satelites are working as they are supposed to.

Message 3 of 17
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Actually the more I look at this the more I think this firmware is borked, when I go directly and log into a satellite, https://192.168.1.3/connectDevices.htm is clearly shows nothing connecting to either satellite. However, I know that some things are wired in and they also show the same so not sure what is going on.

Message 4 of 17
1993rx7
Tutor

I am also experiencing this strange problem (everything is showing connection back to the base), but it's more sinister, as some of my devices that need to connect to a satellite are not.  I have two satellites, both closer to my Ring Stick Up Cam, but it is connecting back to the base at -71dbm.  When it is connected to the closest satellite it will see -47dbm.  I've also noticed that using the IOS orbi app, which shows signal strength, some connected devices are showing a very weak connection eventhough they could jump to the much closer satellite.  I've tried the "enable fast roaming" switch, but I didn't notice a difference.

In addition this latest update is wreaking havoc on my Sonos system.  Zones are dropping, I have one iPhone that won't find the system at all, and one speaker in a stereo pair that refuses to connect.  I'm starting to hate updates.  I hadn't owned a netgear product in many years because of sketchy performance, and current experience is jogging my memory.

The only saving grace is that when the Orbi system is working I have 30+ devices connected streaming youtube, netflix, deezer, and playing video games.  It's actually amazing how much data it routes.  Now if it would just be stable.

Message 5 of 17
jmschnur923
Luminary

One can always go back to the 74/76 versions and wait for a fix.

Message 6 of 17
Ondesic
Tutor

That is definitely true.  I'm just hoping a Netgear tech will see this thread and can help us.

Message 7 of 17
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Yes we are looking into the attached devices issues in the GUI.

DarrenM

Message 8 of 17
Ondesic
Tutor

Thank you Darren.  I know there are a few Attached Device issues.  One is where no attached devices show up at all.  The other is my issue where the devices show up but only attached to the Router.

I am excited to get this fixed

Message 9 of 17
st_shaw
Master

I believe this is just a display issue and the attached devices list does not reflect how things are truly connected.  My devices are connecting to the sat, as they should, but the sat's attached devices list shows nothing, and the router shows only some of the devices and most are incorrectly listed as connected to the router.

Message 10 of 17
martyfp
Luminary

I notice exactly the same thing. However, my system is running faultlessly otherwise.

@st_shaw wrote:

My devices are connecting to the sat, as they should, but the sat's attached devices list shows nothing, 

@st_shaw  How can you determine that ?

Message 11 of 17
turnerm05
Luminary

@martyfp one way to determine if your device is connected to the sattelite or the main router is by using something like SSID or Wifi Analyzer to see the MAC Address of the device that you are connected to.  Then look in the Router GUI to see the MAC Address of your satellite and router to see which one matches.

For me - it's just a display issue.  Several of my devices are actually connected to the Satellite but they show as connected to the router (which would be nearly impossible in certain areas of my house).

Message 12 of 17
martyfp
Luminary

ok thanks - I will check when I get the chance. However, given that connection quality is also Ok for me  in areas that I expect only the satellite to serve reliably then I agree that it is likely a reporting issue

Message 13 of 17
st_shaw
Master

@martyfp wrote:

I notice exactly the same thing. However, my system is running faultlessly otherwise.

@st_shaw wrote:

My devices are connecting to the sat, as they should, but the sat's attached devices list shows nothing, 

@st_shaw  How can you determine that ?

I did something similar to what @turnerm05 said. You can use a WiFi scanner application (inSSIDer, etc.) and it will show multiple signals with the Orbi SSID.  The scanner will list the band, 2.4 or 5 G, and the MAC address of each signal.  Two signals are from the Orbi router.  Each satellite has two signals also.  Each signal has a different MAC address.  You can temporarily turn off your satellite and watch to see which signals disappear to confirm which MACs are associated with each satellite.

Message 14 of 17
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Update: after saving and reloading the config into the Orbi - and then experiencing the white flashing satellite for a while until I restarted the satellite a couple of time - I now see all 27 of my attached devices in the device list. They all list as being attached to the router instead of to satellites, but at least I am seeing all devices and can manage them. 

This convinces me more than ever that Netgear has crackers working in the config update programming team. Updating seems to break things.

At least this is more acceptable than not having connected devices appearing at all. Still get that FIX out Netgear. Ya hear.

Message 15 of 17
Ondesic
Tutor

I am sure the programmers are great. They'll fix it soon
Message 16 of 17
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@Ondesic wrote:
I am sure the programmers are great. They'll fix it soon