Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

All good, except for the magenta light (Orbing RBR20)

TheWalkman
Aspirant

All good, except for the magenta light (Orbing RBR20)

I recently purchased a new modem for my Xfinity service and  decided I'd add an Ubiquiti Edgerouter X Edgerouter in front of the modem rather than using the Orbi built-in router and then placing my Orbi in AP mode.  I also have a three, unmanaged switches behind the router to connect all of the wiredgizmos and gadgets.  The Orbi base is connected to the first switch in my network via the LAN port on the base unit.

Everything seems to be working well.

Unfortunately, my Netgear decides, today, to release a new firmware image, v 2.3.1.58.  Yikes!

Like a dummy, I did the Orbi firmware upgrade as well.

I'm now showing  the dreaded, solid magenta light on the base unit - but not the satellite yet I'm getting 300 MB down and 12 MB up via the Orbi so things seem to be working just fine, other than an annoying, magenta ring.  

Is there a bug in the new firmware or is something else going wrong?  I've read serveral other threads about the dreaded magenta ring but there seems to be no consistent solution/ answer.

(I must say, the NG 90 support policy is also giving me some heartburn but that's a separate discussion!)

Cheers

Model: RBR20|Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
TheWalkman
Aspirant

Re: All good, except for the magenta light (Orbing RBR20)

Problem solved: in fact, the Orbi needed to connect to the EdgeRouter via the WAN port.  (My bad for thinking that I should connect to a the router via the LAN port.)

Everything is working fine now.

I must say, the EdgeRouter X is a very impressive little box for $55.  I see a lot of my free time will be spent learning the nuances of this little box.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 4

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

@TheWalkman wrote:

The Orbi base is connected to the first switch in my network via the LAN port on the base unit.

What happens when the Orbi is connected using the WAN (Yellow) ethernet jack?

Message 2 of 4
ekhalil
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

What happens when the Orbi is connected using the WAN (Yellow) ethernet jack?

Yes, the magenta ring will only disappear if the ISP router is connected to the yellow WAN port.

Message 3 of 4
TheWalkman
Aspirant

Problem solved: in fact, the Orbi needed to connect to the EdgeRouter via the WAN port.  (My bad for thinking that I should connect to a the router via the LAN port.)

Everything is working fine now.

I must say, the EdgeRouter X is a very impressive little box for $55.  I see a lot of my free time will be spent learning the nuances of this little box.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7