Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Allow 5G network to be turned off on Orbi Pro

dmshimself
Tutor

Allow 5G network to be turned off on Orbi Pro

The Orbi Pro 5G interfers with our satellite data distribution system, but you cannot turn it off on the main wireless network.  You can reduce the power, so can I suggest you have an option for 0 power or (better) to turn it off.

Model: SRK60B06|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe Support may have misunderstood the question.  Is this the correct product?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SRK60/SRK60_UM_EN.pdf 

WiFi radios are discussed beginning on page 80.  The system "admin" can select which 2.4G and 5G radio channels the Orbi will use.  Notice that the sections describing the "Employee", "IoT", and "Guest" WiFi networks never mention channels.  The Orbi uses only two user facing frequencies (one 2.4G and one 5G).  All of the WiFi networks use the same two frequencies.  There are opportunities to change the SSID of the Employee, IoT, and Guest WiFi's and options to not broadcast SSID's, but there are no options to disable radios.

Since you are willing to do without 5G WiFi entirely, perhaps selecting a different user facing 5G channel will help with interference.  If it is the backhaul 5G signal that is interfering, I fear there is no solution short of opening the case and clipping the antenna wire.

The "Pro" models have a separate community forum.  Perhaps if the problem is posted in that forum someone will have a suggestion about a way to "hack" the Orbi using telnet.  That can be done with the residential Orbi (our forum).  Here's a link to the Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi 

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 5

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

The wireless backhaul does (ideally) operate on the 5 GHz band, too. Disabling all 5 GHz band activities can break the connectivity router <->satellite, and has a massive impact on the performance. The power control does apply on the fronthaul (router/satellite to the wireles clients), not to the wireless backhaul for good reasons. As such, a bigger Orbi or Orbi Pro does like any decent Mesh system make use of almost all the bandwidth available on the free 5GHz band.

Message 2 of 5
dmshimself
Tutor

Thanks for that - we have the router and sats using ethernet for the backhaul and had hoped to then be able to turn off 5G, but found we couldn't.  Acording to support, you can turn this off for wireless networks 2/3, but not for the main admin one, hence this suggestion.

Message 3 of 5
CrimpOn
Guru

I believe Support may have misunderstood the question.  Is this the correct product?

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SRK60/SRK60_UM_EN.pdf 

WiFi radios are discussed beginning on page 80.  The system "admin" can select which 2.4G and 5G radio channels the Orbi will use.  Notice that the sections describing the "Employee", "IoT", and "Guest" WiFi networks never mention channels.  The Orbi uses only two user facing frequencies (one 2.4G and one 5G).  All of the WiFi networks use the same two frequencies.  There are opportunities to change the SSID of the Employee, IoT, and Guest WiFi's and options to not broadcast SSID's, but there are no options to disable radios.

Since you are willing to do without 5G WiFi entirely, perhaps selecting a different user facing 5G channel will help with interference.  If it is the backhaul 5G signal that is interfering, I fear there is no solution short of opening the case and clipping the antenna wire.

The "Pro" models have a separate community forum.  Perhaps if the problem is posted in that forum someone will have a suggestion about a way to "hack" the Orbi using telnet.  That can be done with the residential Orbi (our forum).  Here's a link to the Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-pro-wifi 

Message 4 of 5
dmshimself
Tutor

Aha!  I just used the link from the support email - many thank for the correct place to go!  I'll also review the other suggestions thy have made, just in case.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7