Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

Re: Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

agreed but apple is a big part of the issue 

Message 51 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

So i guess android is too since those devices are having issues. Dude you have no clue what you are talking about.
Message 52 of 130

sigh - just google MBP and issues connecting to none apple routers , its well known over many years that apple devices have had issues connecting to anything other than the routers made by apple , this is just another case if it , maybe the netgear dev's will find a work around ( and yes thats what it will be ) which while making the orbi more compatible with apple products will reduce some performance to achieve it , aka having to force 2.4 gig to 20mhz as we have had to do for years 

Message 53 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Shut up dude. Go somewhere else and whine.
Message 54 of 130
Tooljunkie
Guide

I'm not Apple bashing, either. The drops are on my overclocked desktop with Edimax 1200mps dongle, Android phone, Samsung TV, etc.

I've downloaded all the Orbi updates & factory reset to the new firmware, changed various settings like QoS, turned on and off satellites, adjusted distances, etc all in search of Netgear's promises. My main problem is lousy cell service at my house, when we moved into a new area 2 years ago. I went to WiFi calling; however, I was on the phone with my mom two days ago and all three of my Orbi WiFi calls dropped! I disconnected and I got the call just fine on cell service. I want to use WiFi calling, so that I can wander around the house taking care of other things (like 4 kids), while on the phone, not figuring out why I have to do so much work to try to get a $500 product to function like it is supposed to do!

My wife was trying to get her grades turned in & write substitute teacher plans, but got fed up with (Orbi). "Why'd you go waste all that money on something to fix the WiFi, with something that's worse than what you already had!?" I don't know. You're right, that's stupid.

I'm sure not going to keep a box of broken pieces for the next few months, while I wait for Netgear to get their act together and send out an updated fix (with new problems?). The same problems I had at the end of November when I took the Orbi back the first time.

I love the concept, but hate the implementation.
Message 55 of 130
Hydro130
Luminary

I haven't noticed any outright dropped wifi on my iOS or macOS devices, but when I walk around my house (presumably switching from router to sat connection), my wifi calling is definitely unrealiable - dropped calls galore.

I can't speak to android stuff (not a user), but there's no question Apple has had a checkered past over the years in terms of playing nice with wifi. 

However, other routers have seemingly figured this out (including some Netgear models, based on other comments here), so I hope Netgear's Orbi team will be able to get on top of this soon.  The solution must be within reach...  Well, I hope so anyway!  

I'm willing to wait it out to see what the next firmware brings.

Message 56 of 130
mcgooman
Initiate

I too am about to return the Orbi.  It drops connections all day long.   My biggist issue is Wifi Calling.   I work from home, and I'm dropping calls left and right.  Conference calls I have to be on.   Beyond frustrating.    I didn't have this issue with other routers.

I really don't like the Apple bashing in this forum.  Orbi clearly has problems with other products/vendors for Nest Cameras, TVs, Andriod devices, etc.    I don't understand why members of this community prefer to bash other vendor's products, instead of providing useful feedback on how to make the $399 Orbi function properly.   

Clearly the Orbi works for some people.   It doesn't work for me.  Even wired connections direct to the router fluctate radically (but that is a topic beyond this thread).   And yes, I have replaced the Orbi hardware.  Same issues.   I have moved the router and satelite(s).  Same issues.

Frustrated.

Message 57 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Agreed.  Netgear support put a debug firmware on my Orbi tonight, and so far my Android devices have not dropped.  I am supposed to collect logs if I see it start dropping.

Message 58 of 130
Draxxus
Initiate

My experience with Netgear has been lack luster at best. I'm having frequent drops on my Samsung TVs and some of my Apple devices. I cannot get an Aruba RAP-3WN for VPN to work at all. Dyndns is broke as well.  I really needed the extra LAN ports, which is why I opted for this solution over others. I guess I can live with buying some extra GigE switches and go the Linksys Velop route. PC Mag did a great review on all of the current systems.  Velop  > Orbi. 

http://www.pcmag.com/review/350691/linksys-velop

Message 59 of 130
Tooljunkie
Guide

I don't understand how cell companies can make cell phones that don't drop the signal when switching towers while driving 30 miles, but I couldn't get the Orbi to not drop my WiFi call when walking 30 feet. 

I gave up & took it back.

Message 60 of 130
B747driver
Star

@Draxxus wrote:

I guess I can live with buying some extra GigE switches and go the Linksys Velop route. PC Mag did a great review on all of the current systems.  Velop  > Orbi. 

I hope you have better luck than I did.  Velop was a nightmare right out of the box.  Tech support was willing to help but nothing seemed to work.  I gave up and took it back after two days.

Message 61 of 130
Silver0066
Apprentice

@B747driver wrote:

@Draxxus wrote:

I guess I can live with buying some extra GigE switches and go the Linksys Velop route. PC Mag did a great review on all of the current systems.  Velop  > Orbi. 

I hope you have better luck than I did.  Velop was a nightmare right out of the box.  Tech support was willing to help but nothing seemed to work.  I gave up and took it back after two days.

Velop was a nightmare for me also.  Tech support was awful, no User Manual, software full of bugs.  I took it back and got the Orbi which I am very happy with.

Message 62 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

Not only iOS devices have problems, also the satelite has no stable connection. 

In 16 hrs the satellite was reconnecting 69 times. At start it shows a solid blue light, so the connection should be good enough.

Message 63 of 130

Just registered to post I'm also having non-stop issues too. My iPad disconnects from wifi constantly, as does the dropcam camera we have. Everything else seems to be working fine, including iPhones, Apple TV, wifi thermostats, etc. the iPad and dropcam constantly disconnect to the point where I can't do anything on the iPad that requires a connection for more than five minutes. I get the wifi disconnect emails from dropcam throughout the day. 

Really frustating. 

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 64 of 130
Mikey94025
Hero

Regarding your dropcap disconnects -- Check that you have implicit beamforming disabled.  That's necessary right now (see the other thread: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Intermittent-internet-connectivity-outage-with-Orbi/m-p/114471...).

Message 65 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

The Debug firmware they installed seems to have fixed the issue.  I have sent them updated logs now, but I have had no drops at all.

Message 66 of 130
bobby35ny
Star

Any handoff issues with router and satellites?
Message 67 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

There is no difference with the debug firmware. It is just for debugging and for my understanding same as the normal one, but with debigging enabled.

My satelite frequently loses the connection. But it is stating a good connection while starting up (solid blue).

Message 68 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Not per the netgear tech. . They did make changes in this firmware he said and supposed to find out what for me.
Message 69 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Okay the tech told me wrong. He just sent this.

The firmware is based on V1.4.0.34 and enabled a debug printer which keep tracing and logging wi-fi client status (such as connected, or steered by Orbi). We will just have you monitor the connection for now.
Message 70 of 130
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

NETGEAR is aware of an issue affecting some users where wireless client devices frequently disconnect/reconnect from the Orbi WiFi network. We’re actively working on the issue and hope to have a solution soon.

Thank You

DarrenM

Message 71 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

I turned of Orbi and turned my Fritzbox on. 

In the log there are also some reconnects from the iPhone, but way less as with the Orbi.

The most important thing was, the iPhone was always connected as I turnied it on, so I could use Sonos the whole time without any problems. There is also no issue with loosing the connection in between. The network is exptremly slow in the bedroom, only 5-8 Mbit from a 100 Mbit landline, but Fire TV was also working without any issues.. 

With Orbi, the iPhone was never in the network and needed sometimes a minute to reconnect (Sonos is not connected as I was in LTE). It is reconnecting also during surfing or watching videos and this is the biggest problem for people without big data plans.. 

Message 72 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

Just counted the reconnects on the Fritzbox for my iPhones.

5 and 3 times in 20hrs.

With Orbi, 79 and 40 times in 20hrs.

Anyone still wants to tell me it is an iOS issue and not and Orbi issue?

Message 73 of 130
MarkC1024
Luminary

Did you not read Darren's last?  There is a known issue they are working on.

Message 74 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

I did. But here are a lot people saying it is an iOS issue and all other vendors have similar issues, which is wrong. 

I have the debug FW installed to help the guys to sort the things out and not only complaining.. 😉

Message 75 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7