Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

Where do you see the disconnects on iOS at?
Message 76 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

In the router logs. But I also see it while surfing and watching videos or whatelse, becuase it switches to cellular network and needs up to 1 minute to reconnect. The most time if I'm at home and my device is in standby and pick it up, the iPhone is not connected to my wifi. This is not happening with the Fritzbox for example. It just stays connected to the wifi.

But I also send logs from iOS to Apple to investigate the issue too, installed a Wifi-debug profile for it.

Message 77 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Looks like in the logs, nothing actually says reconnected, but I do see my IOS devices and Android ones connecting often many times.  

Message 78 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Netgear support has been mostly useless.  No resolution yet.  Issue is now happening to more devices in my house.  Our new iPhone 7s and LG v20s.  So now, 4 devices are dropping.  Seems to happen more from the 2nd unit than the router though.  Ugh.

About to just take it into Best buy and exchange it for Google Wifi or whatever they have.

Message 79 of 130

@killabandit wrote:

About to just take it into Best buy and exchange it for Google Wifi or whatever they have.

then do so , as i dont think the resolution to this issue is eather an easy fix or one that will in a matter of days 

just for info thought almost all other mesh systems with same ssid's are having similar issues with apple gear so you might just be from the frying pan to the fire 

Message 80 of 130
thebishop
Apprentice

Ok peteytesting, we got it you dont like Apple, but the facts are that many different devices from many different vendors drops, so just stop now and focus on the real issue - the dropping of connections.

Secondly, you may think that the resolution is not an easy fix and you are entitled to your opinion (although it just seems based on gut feeling and no actual knowledg of what the problem actually is), but I conversey think you may find that software engineering is a beautiful thing and if the engineering team gets a reproducible test case they will most likely sort it out within a few weeks. We all hold our opinions.

As soon as the issue is sorted out and RBS50 is avaiable in europe, Im looking forward to extend with one more sattelite.

In the meantime, I will once again offer Netgear engineering to troubeshoot and test and fixes for the issue, as I unfortunatelty have a very reproducible test setup.

Oh, and the anti-Apple bile with regard to wifi compatibility, you might want to read up on history how wifi was popularized for consumers, you might be surprised.

Message 81 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Interesting as it does it more often on my android stuff than Apple.
Message 82 of 130

yes the issue also effects things like ring door bell etc as they have the same issue ( as apple products ) in not handling same ssid well , i believe most ppl with android issues prob have location / placement issues  

its been over 6 months since the issue was detected and we still have not seen a resolution , so i do suggest that what ever the base issue is suggests this isnt and wont be an easy fix or it would have already been resolved 

the biggest issue is some apple and other users have connectivity issues while some dont at all , this makes the issue not reproducable in all cases making the fix harder as you fix one thing and break another 

for the most part i see this as a compatibility issue with client device not being able to handle same ssid from different transmissions and because its a client side compatability issue im not sure how the dev team will fix this without crippling some part of the orbi functionality

Message 83 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

I just sent Orbi back to Amazon and got the Amplifi HD. But instead the set I got two routers and connected them, so I can use the LAN ports on the mesh point (which is the second router). It was costing me 280 Euros instead of 429 Euros for the Orbi.

What should I say? No problems at all. Ok, the Amplifi has no a dedicated channel to connect each other, but to be honest, it is just working and I got 92 Mbit in my office, same as with the Orbi. In the sleepingroom I have around 40 Mbit, Orbi was at 60 Mbit. For FireTV and listening music/audio books still enough.

I walked around the flat and my iPhone just stays connected and switching between the routers without any drops. Remember: with Orbi the connection was gone  quite often and needed around 1 minute to reconnect. Same 2 meters away from the router. Also in the night while hearing audio books, the device is still connected and my Sonos has also no problems playing it. There was the problem that Sonos jumps from chapter 1 to 34 because of connectivity issues. 

It also supports band and router steering.

So, I'm out. I hope Netgear will find a solution soon and you guys get a working device. Good luck!

Message 84 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

We have told you many times to stop coming in here with unrelated non-sense.  My Android devices lose signal exactly the same time and place my ios devices do.  Your right, we still have not seen a resolution, and Netgear is working on it.  But it is NOT RELATED TO APPLE.

Message 85 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yeah, I don't have the luxury of wiring stuff in my house.  So I will have to do some research on the other ones.  Google wifi, Eero, etc.

Message 86 of 130
brasax
Apprentice

have a look at Amplifi HD. But instead the set with one router and two satelites, get two routers and connect them wireless to a mesh. The routers have 4 LAN ports you could use then, like the Orbi..

Message 87 of 130

@killabandit wrote:

We have told you many times to stop coming in here with unrelated non-sense.  My Android devices lose signal exactly the same time and place my ios devices do.  Your right, we still have not seen a resolution, and Netgear is working on it.  But it is NOT RELATED TO APPLE.

then you have a placement issue which is TOTALLY different tio the specific issue with same ssid , there are multiple issues and it seems thats not what you are understanding , the specific same ssid issue is specifically effecting apple and things like ring door bells etc 

if ALL your devices are disconnecting at the same time and place its a totally different issue which you dont seem to understand and is why the dev team are finding it hard to put a finger on it as some are reporting different issues like you , its clear there is no quick fix for the specific issue im talking about , but your issue seems to be different and again i suspect location related 

i have spent quite some time with the orbi system and well before it was released and there are many local environment conditions that effect both placement and signal quality the color lights are only a basic indication and do not take into account any other variables that effect wifi 

btw just incase you forgot this is a public forum and any comments are welcome , just because you dont like the answers or comments doesnt mean you can moderate the discussion

Message 88 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'll look into the Amplifi. Thanks.

Message 89 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Again, you have no clue what you are talking about.  The devices seem to lose the WIFI at the same time. Doesn't matter where you are in the house, it happens.  It happens more often near the satelite however than the router.  This is NOT a placement issue as Netgear and I have already discussed this.

Message 90 of 130
bobby35ny
Star

I just quit, LOL

Netgear is just taking too long for a fix for us, I just bought a Amplifi HD and will give it a shot. I should get it on Friday.

Good thing Costco has a 90 day return.

-Bobby

Message 91 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Please let me know your outcome of that.   I am interested.

Message 92 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I have given Netgear long enough to fix these issues.  3-4 months.  And still no fix.  Working with their support, it is a waste of time now.  I have packed my units up and going to Best Buy in hopes they give me credit since it was purchased in October, and I pick up the Eero mesh system as that has dropped to $399 now.  I need reliability and Orbi does not have it.

Message 93 of 130
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Let us know if they took it back.
Message 94 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

They took it back.  Made an exception.  I showed them all the issues the Netgear orbi was having (this forum, my ticket with support), and the manager approved it.  Last time I took something I didn't have to talk to a manager, but this time it required it as the normal employee didn't want to do it.  Either way, I got the credit, and now own the Eero system running.  I already set it up and have no issues at all so far.  It's fast everywhere in the house, and all my devices have a solid signal with no drops.

Message 95 of 130
bobby35ny
Star

How is the switching from satellites ? The ampli HD as issues too
Message 96 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Haven't noticed any issues.  Seems to switch just fine depending which one has the stronger signal.  I do notice they aren't as strong as the Orbi, but you get three so that fixes that issue.  Speeds are great on all of them as well.  I couldn't tell it to use 192.168.1.XXX network, so it had to use 192.168.7.XXX and I had to change a couple of my devices and reboot some others for them to start working again.  So far, no drops at all.

Message 97 of 130
Rustproofcorn
Luminary

Did Best Buy take back the orbi?
Message 98 of 130
dsc_dewain
Guide

I literally watched my android phone drop network connection multiple times right in front of me, couldn't believe my eyes.  The signal was very strong also. Only 20ish feet from the router. And my firmware is latest. I have joined the others by turning off the beam to see if it helps.

Message 99 of 130
stavrosg
Star

How did the diabling of beam forming work for you in the end?

Message 100 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7