Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

Jako888
Star

Re: Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

Frankly I am getting fed up with this.

I have requested a return on Amazon on the basis the product is not fit for purpose.

will see what they say. 

Message 101 of 130
Jako888
Star

Re: Almost officially done with Netgear Orbi and their support due to not fixing the wifi issues

Amazon confirmed they are happy for me to return.

Message 102 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Amazon is usually great for returns, even outside the period.   

Message 103 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

As I said a few posts above yours, Best Buy did take it back. 🙂

Message 104 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'd like to say that after now almost 2 weeks with Eero installed, we have had ZERO issues.  No connection drops, no stuttering, no buffering on videos, fast wifi speeds.  It has been a pleasure unlike my 6 months with Orbi.  Netgear may have lost my business forever on Routers because of that.

Message 105 of 130
Jako888
Star

Nice one. Sadly EERO is not available in the UK.  I have returned my Orbi system for same reasons.  Now back to using the BT Homehub 5 extended via powerlines with two airports.  Certainly a little slower and Orbi, but much more stable, despite the HH's bad reputation.

Speaking to a friend at Netgear, they are apparently close to a solution, but for me, it was too long a wait.

Will reassess during this year and see what I do.

Message 106 of 130
JMU1998
Luminary

I am holding on to hope just a little longer before I ditch Orbi, I am giving it 2 more Firmware releases and if still no improvement or stability issues I will look at other options.

Message 107 of 130
bobby35ny
Star

I returned my orbi, I tried the amplfi and it too had the same issues!!

I went the same route as you killabandit, I got the EERO.

Well.....................................

The Eero just plain WORKS!!!

No issues, seamless handoffs, for little units they cover my 3800 ft house with no issues. And YES you can make the ip 192.168.1.1 if you want.

Love it!!

-Bobby

Message 108 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Nice man. How can you set it to 192.168.1.1? I tried to do that and never could figure that one out. Ours still great since install.
Message 109 of 130
JMU1998
Luminary

Does it have wired backhaul? 

Message 110 of 130
bobby35ny
Star

I was having trouble updating the firmware so I called support. Took about 10min to fix. While we were waiting to update I told the guy, I didnt want that 192.168.7.1 crap. He said no problem, what do you want? I said, 192.168.1.1 and he logged in my router and did it for me, LOL

-Bobby

Message 111 of 130
Yld2rob
Luminary

Tried Eero. Speeds were crap. Lost half my bandwidth when connected to the satellites. Had four of them.

Message 112 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

You may lose some speed but when reliability is more important speed isn't any more. As long as it's fast wifi with stable connection that's all I cared about.
Message 113 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

With my 200 meg down connection I still see over 120-140 speeds at the satellites. Which isn't crap. Maybe there are other issues around your house causing interference.
Message 114 of 130
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

I tried the Eero once as well, realiablility yeah, very good, nice apps and super easy to setup, however speed was horrible, does not compare with the Orbi at all.

Message 115 of 130
bobby35ny
Star

I'm getting 200 up and down on my cellphone. Not the 300 I get on my hardwired PC.  still pretty good.   Not slow by any means. What good is fast speed on the orbi if it keeps dropping all the time. 

Message 116 of 130
B747driver
Star

@killabandit wrote:
You may lose some speed but when reliability is more important speed isn't any more. As long as it's fast wifi with stable connection that's all I cared about.

@bobby35ny wrote:

I'm getting 200 up and down on my cellphone. Not the 300 I get on my hardwired PC.  still pretty good.   Not slow by any means. What good is fast speed on the orbi if it keeps dropping all the time. 

Exactly!  Another Eero convert here.  Orbi may be the future but it's definitely not today.  I wanted a system that is reliable and doesn't require constant attention.  Eero provides that, Orbi did not. Very happy camper now.

Message 117 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Speed is for braging rights.  Having wifi that is stable will always be # 1 over speed in any ones network.  If you can't have a stable wifi connection, you won't be able to run that speed test. 🙂

Orbi didn't have it.  When my family (that doesn't care about speed) complaining to me all the time about their devices not working, I had to ditch the  Orbi.

Message 118 of 130
Yld2rob
Luminary

Agreed. With the latest firmware, i finally have the best speeds and coverage with Orbi. Finally they fixed it
Message 119 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Doubtful. Give it time as it will show itself. Turn beam forming back on.
Message 120 of 130
Yld2rob
Luminary

Right now it's solid. Beamforming is not on. Haven't tested that yet. But MU-MIMO is on. 

Message 121 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Looks like per your post in another topic, it isn't solid.  Using it in only AP mode is not a fix but a work around and not acceptible for a package like this.

Re: Orbi loosing Internet Connection

You are correct. I had the exact same problem. You need another router and put the orbi in AP mode until Netgear fixes the issue 

Message 122 of 130
Yld2rob
Luminary

It is not acceptable Netgear launched this product way too early. But, I know using this device in AP mode right now is the best option of all other options out there. I get extreme coverage and throughput. Once they do decide to fix it, I will just remove my FIOS router. The key is that it works. Not more complaints from my family. 

Message 123 of 130
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Running AP mode shouldn't have any effect on wifi from it. All it does is tell the main one to not act as a router.

Message 124 of 130
Yld2rob
Luminary

I wasn't having issues with the wi-fi signal. I was having issues with the routing. It would drop DHCP every 24 hours 

Message 125 of 130
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7