Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Amazon Fire tv stick not showing internet

Kristy838383
Follower

Amazon Fire tv stick not showing internet

We just set up our new Orbi system of a router and 2 additional satellites. We are plugging the Orbi router directly into an AT&T modem router 5268AC (which was just not putting out a big enough signal).
We have several devices connected and using the new Orbi network, however when trying to connect our two new Amazon Fire Tv sticks we’re having issues.
The Fire Stick will show that it can connect to the Orbi network, but shows the network is not connected to the internet. We’re not understanding the issue because other devices in the same room are using the internet through the very same network that is shown to be offline.
Is there something in the settings to allow the Fire stick to connect?
At the moment we’re connected and streaming on a fair strength from the AT&T router and feeling like we may have waisted a bunch of money on the Orbi system.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Message 2 of 37
randomousity
Luminary

Are the Orbi router and Orbi satellite synced? I had an issue just a couple days ago where they lost sync, so devices connected to the satellite showed as connected but no internet, whereas other devices were connected directly to the router (wirelessly) and had no issues.

You could start out by going to the Orbi config page and looking at attached devices, and making sure the satellite shows up, and that the backhaul connection is listed as "good" for the satellite.

I don't have a Fire Stick, but is it possible to see its configuration somehow? E.g., the network you're conected to, the gateway, IP address, MAC address, etc? In particular, the MAC address of the access point you're connected to? (so you can determine whether you're connected to the Orbi router or satellite). Alternatively, does it show up in the list of attacked devices on the Orbi config page, and, if so, what does it say for the connected Orbi? Is it connected to the Orbi router, or Orbi satellite? You can also log onto the Orbi satellite's config page (figure out the satellite's IP address from the Orbi router's attached devices page, then type that IP address in your browser and use the same logon credentials for the satellite as you do for the router, and then look at the attached devices on the satellite's page and see if the Fire Stick is listed there.

Your Fire Stick being connected to the satellite, and the satellite not being synced with the router, is my best guess as to why the Fire Stick shows as no internet while other devices work fine. Check on that and then report back.

Message 3 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Let us know if you have any progress on this...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@Kristy838383 wrote:
We just set up our new Orbi system of a router and 2 additional satellites. We are plugging the Orbi router directly into an AT&T modem router 5268AC (which was just not putting out a big enough signal).
We have several devices connected and using the new Orbi network, however when trying to connect our two new Amazon Fire Tv sticks we’re having issues.
The Fire Stick will show that it can connect to the Orbi network, but shows the network is not connected to the internet. We’re not understanding the issue because other devices in the same room are using the internet through the very same network that is shown to be offline.
At the moment we’re connected and streaming on a fair strength from the AT&T router and feeling like we may have waisted a bunch of money on the Orbi system.

Message 4 of 37
SSCR2
Tutor

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Let us know if you have any progress on this...

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.

MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

If you updated to recent FW v.210, try enabling Daisy Chain. Some have mentioned that this seems to be working in reverse order, enabling means disabled actually.

@Kristy838383 wrote:

Im having the same issue with this. I will try option three since I cannot put the Pace 5268AC RG in either bridge or DMZ mode.

Im also having dificulty with certain websites asking me to sign in with a password... but I think this might be because of the double firewall being provided by the RG and the Orbi system?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 5 of 37
SSCR2
Tutor

By the way the sattelites are shown connected to the router and the Orbi app shows the Fire Stick as connected. Thanks

Message 6 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

Please review:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Installing-Orbi-behind-ATT-Pace-5268AC-gateway/td-p/1234191
Modem FW may have broke good speeds between the modem and Orbi in router mode:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBK50-Speed-Throttling-Wired-and-Wireless/td-p/1673291/jump-to...

@SSCR2 wrote:

Im having the same issue with this. I will try option three since I cannot put the Pace 5268AC RG in either bridge or DMZ mode.

Im also having dificulty with certain websites asking me to sign in with a password... but I think this might be because of the double firewall being provided by the RG and the Orbi system?

Message 7 of 37
SSCR2
Tutor

Option 3 worked! Thanks!!
Message 8 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@SSCR2 wrote:
Option 3 worked! Thanks!!

Message 9 of 37
Kedge
Aspirant

Thank you!  Option 3 did the trick and was way too easy!  Thank you!

By the way, my Orbi RBR40 has 3 satelites and the base/router is in my metal building.  The satelites are in the house about 60 feet away and they receive a Very Good signal.  I have 3 Fire TV Sticks and they all work wonderfully now!

Message 10 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it working well for you. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@Kedge wrote:

Thank you!  Option 3 did the trick and was way too easy!  Thank you!

By the way, my Orbi RBR40 has 3 satelites and the base/router is in my metal building.  The satelites are in the house about 60 feet away and they receive a Very Good signal.  I have 3 Fire TV Sticks and they all work wonderfully now!

Message 11 of 37
mmolesbr
Aspirant

My firestick works great until i turn it off and it reboots. Then it connects, but says no internet. After i tell the firestick to forget network (orbi) and then reconnect, it works again.....until i reboot firestick, and i have to do it all over again
Message 12 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What model Orbi system do you have? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

@mmolesbr wrote:
My firestick works great until i turn it off and it reboots. Then it connects, but says no internet. After i tell the firestick to forget network (orbi) and then reconnect, it works again.....until i reboot firestick, and i have to do it all over again

Message 13 of 37
mmolesbr
Aspirant

Do i make these settings on the Orbi or network modem
Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 14 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware is currently loaded?

What model Orbi system do you have? 

What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?

On the Orbi router...

@mmolesbr wrote:
Do i make these settings on the Orbi or network modem

Message 15 of 37
hlimoges
Initiate

Option 3 worked like a charm and it was so much easier!  THANKS!!!

Message 16 of 37
raamahuja
Initiate

3rd Option to disable all radios on original modem and setup Orbi Router as AP worked like a charm. 

Life saver... 

Message 17 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@raamahuja wrote:

3rd Option to disable all radios on original modem and setup Orbi Router as AP worked like a charm. 

Life saver... 

Message 18 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it worked. Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@hlimoges wrote:

Option 3 worked like a charm and it was so much easier!  THANKS!!!

Message 19 of 37
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Glad it worked. Enjoy.Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Please mark your thread as solved so other will know. 

Thank you. Smiley Wink

@raamahuja wrote:

Life saver... 

Message 21 of 37
VL2020
Aspirant

Thank you!  Option 3 worked!!!   I think Amazon helpdesk should know this.  The only thing they could offer to me is to reset the firestick to factory default which were useless. 

Message 22 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it work out for you.

Enjoy. 

@VL2020 wrote:

Thank you!  Option 3 worked!!!   I think Amazon helpdesk should know this.  The only thing they could offer to me is to reset the firestick to factory default which were useless. 

Message 23 of 37
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@VL2020 wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. Glad it work out for you.

Enjoy. Smiley Very Happy

Message 24 of 37
dpirovolos
Aspirant

I'm having this same exact issue with both of my Fire Stick 4k units; however, my modem is just a modem (not a modem/router).  Would setting the Orbi to AP mode work for me as well or does that only apply if your modem is also a router?  I did change the 2.4Ghz channel to channel 11 (was on auto).

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 25 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7