Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Amazon Fire tv stick not showing internet

Mikey94025
Hero

@dpirovolos wrote:

I'm having this same exact issue with both of my Fire Stick 4k units; however, my modem is just a modem (not a modem/router).  Would setting the Orbi to AP mode work for me as well or does that only apply if your modem is also a router?  I did change the 2.4Ghz channel to channel 11 (was on auto).

No, you can only use AP mode if your cable modem also serves as a router, which yours does not.  You should not have an issue with your Amazon Firestick 4K units connecting to Orbi wireless (since many people do this).

Try the other Orbi Wireless settings recommendations from @FURRYe38 's earlier post:

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 26 of 37
dpirovolos
Aspirant

It's not that I have a problem connecting the sticks to my orbi - the issue is that  even though the fire stick is connected to the orbi, the fire stick says that I'm not connected to the internet.  I don't have this problem with any other device in the house except for the fire sticks.

Message 27 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Soemthing to contact Amazon about. 

@dpirovolos wrote:

It's not that I have a problem connecting the sticks to my orbi - the issue is that  even though the fire stick is connected to the orbi, the fire stick says that I'm not connected to the internet.  I don't have this problem with any other device in the house except for the fire sticks.

Message 28 of 37
Mikey94025
Hero

@dpirovolos wrote:

I assume you have other devices connecting wireless to your Orbi network and they have internet connectivity?  Then try forgetting the wireless network on your Amazon firestick and setup the wireless connection again.  Worst case, factory reset them and start over.  It seems that something is wrong with its connection to your working wireless network.

Message 29 of 37
dpirovolos
Aspirant

All other wireless devices work perfectly - it's only the two fire sticks that seem to have a problem.  I know that likely points to a problem with the fire sticks rather than with my Orbi configuration, but I was encouraged when I saw that other people with the same problem were able to rectify it by making some changes to their configuration.  I've been on the phone with Amazon support numerous times over this, have done multiple factory resets of the devices, and tried forgetting the network and reconnecting a bunch of times - I just think the fire stick is poorly made, especially as far as networking goes.  If all other devices work great and have no problems getting out to the internet, it's tough to blame the problem on anything but the fire sticks themselves.  Unfortunately, I don't think first-line Amazon support knows enough about networking to effectively assist customers with problems such as this one.  I understand that troubleshooting 101 involves resets, reboots, etc. but they have to be capable of more than that since most of us can handle that stuff on our own.

Message 30 of 37
Petern0415
Aspirant

did that resolve the issue?  we had the same problem and looking for a fix.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 31 of 37
Caseykit
Tutor

I also have this same exact issue. I believe Option #3 is to switch to AP mode. It defaulted to router mode when I got it I believe and I thought that was because it literally needed to route wifi to/through the cable modem. Does it hurt anything to switch to Access Point mode? It seems like a big change. Also, apparently it can broadcast an SSID even when not in AP mode. Seems strange to me.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 32 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

Does your cable modem have a built in wifi and router? If so, then yes you can switch to AP mode on the Orbi system. 

If the modem does not have a built in router, then you'll need to leave the Orbi in router mode.

@Caseykit wrote:

I also have this same exact issue. I believe Option #3 is to switch to AP mode. It defaulted to router mode when I got it I believe and I thought that was because it literally needed to route wifi to/through the cable modem. Does it hurt anything to switch to Access Point mode? It seems like a big change. Also, apparently it can broadcast an SSID even when not in AP mode. Seems strange to me.

Message 33 of 37
Caseykit
Tutor

I have just a cable modem without wifi (since I have an ORBI). I could be wrong but I always thought a router was to go from one medium to another, like from cable coax to ethernet (which connects to ORBI). Therefore isn't a cable modem always a router? I'll be honest it seems like I should be setup as an Access Point but it works just fine without it the SSID's do broadcast.

Message 34 of 37
FURRYe38
Guru

No. Cable modems can be with and with out built in routers. The router portion is needed if you are configuring AP mode on the RBR. 

What is the mfr and model if your cable modem. We can help you determine what you have. 

Message 35 of 37
Mstrbig
Master

The Firestick is still seeing the original router's tables. You need to forget your WiFi Network and re-establish a connection.
Navigate to Settings.

Use the Firestick remote to navigate to the Settings menu and select the Network option.
Select Your Network.

Locate all networks and press the Menu button for more options. ...
Forget each Network. ...

Search and Reconnect to your Orbi WIFI Network.

Message 36 of 37
Caseykit
Tutor

Got it! In fact, it was being denied access by Orbi which I found under access control. Everything works well now. Thank you so much for all your help.
Message 37 of 37
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 36 replies
  • 12 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7