Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Amazon fire stick RBR40

stratified
Follower

Amazon fire stick RBR40

We have an orbI80 that is not happy with an Amazon firestick. All other devices connect fine. Firestick says it is connected to the wifi but when we go to netflix we get an error message NW-2-5

Firmware version 2.2.1.210

Have tried changing DNS and channel but does not help. 

Can access netflix from laptop using the orbi router so the problem is not with streaming - must be a problem with the router settings for the firestick??

Any suggestions??

Message 1 of 18

Accepted Solutions
stuartjsmith
Guide

Ok, I have resolved this. I reduced the MTU size from 1492 to 1464 and it now logs in fine. It also appears to have fixed another issue on my network whereby my wifes phone would not connect to the LinkedIn app for anyone searching for this combination! I found this here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBKR50-MTU-Setting-Query-for-Netflix/td-p/1660878

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 18

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

If you can get to netflix with other devices and not the Firestick, the probably maybe the Firestick. 

You might see if you can reset the Firestick and set it up from scratch. Contact the Mfr of the Firestick for help and information regarding there procuct. Ask to see if there is any specific wifi settings needed on the Orbi for the Firestick. 

Ensure there FW on the stick is up to date. 

Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using? Try Disabling WPA temporarily and test. Then try setting WPA2 and AES only. 

Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@stratified wrote:

We have an orbI80 that is not happy with an Amazon firestick. All other devices connect fine. Firestick says it is connected to the wifi but when we go to netflix we get an error message NW-2-5

Firmware version 2.2.1.210

Have tried changing DNS and channel but does not help. 

Can access netflix from laptop using the orbi router so the problem is not with streaming - must be a problem with the router settings for the firestick??

Any suggestions??

The Netflix error code NW-2-5 indicates a network connectivity issue, which means that there is something preventing the device from connecting to Netflix.

Two areas to check in Orbi for this device:

- Do you have Parental Control enabled? Please check that the device is allowed the needed access in Circle or OpenDNS

- Access Control. Please check that the device is not in the access control block list.

Message 3 of 18
stuartjsmith
Guide

Did you ever resolve this? I ahve the exact same issue.

Firestick 4k

Netflix error NW-2-5

Orbi RBK53

All connectivity checks done in the Netflix app appear ok

Switch Firestick to personal hotspot on phone and no error

Message 4 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

OP hasn't posted back his there initial post. 

What FW is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the ISP modem the NG router is connected too?
Is the Orbi system operating in Router or AP mode?

@stuartjsmith wrote:

Did you ever resolve this? I ahve the exact same issue.

Firestick 4k

Netflix error NW-2-5

Orbi RBK53

All connectivity checks done in the Netflix app appear ok

Switch Firestick to personal hotspot on phone and no error

Message 5 of 18
stuartjsmith
Guide

I have a netgear dn200 in bridge mode, and the orbi is running in router mode. Netflix works on every other device in the house, just not on the firestick 4K. The firestick 4K will work on my mobile network though when connected to the hotspot. I even got the shop the replace the firestick in case it was an issue with that one, but it didn’t help.
Message 6 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
What WPA security modes are you using?

Try enableding Beamforming and MIMO.

@stuartjsmith wrote:
I have a netgear dn200 in bridge mode, and the orbi is running in router mode. Netflix works on every other device in the house, just not on the firestick 4K. The firestick 4K will work on my mobile network though when connected to the hotspot. I even got the shop the replace the firestick in case it was an issue with that one, but it didn’t help.

Message 7 of 18
stuartjsmith
Guide

I don’t think this is anything to do with satellite positioning. Everything else on the firestick works fine e.g. amazon prime video, plus I can plug in an old style fire stick with Netflix on and it works absolutely fine. It is specifically the combination of the new fire stick 4K, Netflix and the Orbi. I will experiment with the other setting you have mentioned thanks!
Message 8 of 18
stuartjsmith
Guide

Ok, I have resolved this. I reduced the MTU size from 1492 to 1464 and it now logs in fine. It also appears to have fixed another issue on my network whereby my wifes phone would not connect to the LinkedIn app for anyone searching for this combination! I found this here: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/RBKR50-MTU-Setting-Query-for-Netflix/td-p/1660878

Message 9 of 18
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Amazon was selling the Ethernet adapter for $10 recently and I picked up a few .  An alternative if you can take advantage of it .

@stuartjsmith  did you see/follow @FURRYe38  suggestion to make sure the Orbi is connected to a DMZ port?

Message 10 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

His modem is in bridge mode supposidly so DMZ wouldn't work in this case. Odd that changing MTU effected his FireStick. 

Glad he got it working. Please mark this thread and solved so others will know for future reference.

@stuartjsmith 

@gr8sho wrote:

Amazon was selling the Ethernet adapter for $10 recently and I picked up a few .  An alternative if you can take advantage of it .

@stuartjsmith  did you see/follow @FURRYe38  suggestion to make sure the Orbi is connected to a DMZ port?

Message 11 of 18
ekhalil
Master

@FURRYe38 wrote:

........... Odd that changing MTU effected his FireStick. 

Not odd at all! 🙂 Seems that the Fire Stick supports limited MTU size. Of cource lower MTU size can result in more buffering issues, but not if the MTU size was slightly decreased. 

@stuartjsmith Have you noticed any buffering issues in the Fire Stick or other streaming devices after the MTU size change? Please note that the MTU size change will affect all internet traffic for the whole network and all devices!

Please check if it's -somehow- possible to change the MTU size of the Fire Stick in it's settings instead.

Message 12 of 18
gr8sho
Virtuoso

Sorry, not buying it. I have many AFTVs here and none of them ever needed that level of intervention. Neither connected to an Arris router nor a Netgear. Must be something else involved.
Message 13 of 18
stuartjsmith
Guide

No, not noticed any buffering yet, all seems well.

There are other cases of this, so I am not alone e.g. https://community.netgear.com/t5/DSL-Modems-Routers/DM200-has-serious-flaws-in-modem-only-mode-resul...

If you google mtu netflix there are plenty of people with similar issues. FWIW, I have another firestick and a 1st gen fire box that work fine without the mtu fix.

Message 14 of 18
gr8sho
Virtuoso

It just means you're having to workaround an issue caused by an intermediate piece of hardware/firmware.  Modifying MTU should not be required in the normal case.  I run Netflix all day long on a Fire TV 3 connected to an ORBI which in turn is connected to an Arris router configured in IP Passthrough, their version of DMZ.

And FWIW, a recommendation was also made to factory reset equipment.  I do that step myself if I see gremlins, but if the fault lies in bad firmware or a misconfiguration, you'll just end up back where you started.  

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Sounds like a HW issue with the stick. If other sticks are working with default MTU values and this one partiuclar stick isn't and your having to intervien for it, then this is a work around for the stick, not the Orbi. Probably a faulty batch of sticks. 

Message 16 of 18
stuartjsmith
Guide

That was my initial thought too, and after a load of messing about (and yelling:)) I did take it back and exchange it. I had to wait a week because they had none in stock, so the chances of the second stick being the same batch would be low I think. This only affected the netflix app, on the original 4k stick I bought, and the exchange. Netflix works fine on my two other (non-4k) sticks. I have verified the issue by reverting the MTU back to 1492, and it indeed fails to connect to Netflix. I am not dubious that this is the fix, but I am confused as to why it is the fix.

Message 17 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

A week would not be long enough. Batches can come in hundreds or thousands. You would have to get one from maybe a online e-tailer some place to get into some thing different. 

So Non 4K sticks work and 4K doesn't work with default MTU values? This would be something Amazon FS should look at. 

@stuartjsmith wrote:

That was my initial thought too, and after a load of messing about (and yelling:)) I did take it back and exchange it. I had to wait a week because they had none in stock, so the chances of the second stick being the same batch would be low I think. This only affected the netflix app, on the original 4k stick I bought, and the exchange. Netflix works fine on my two other (non-4k) sticks. I have verified the issue by reverting the MTU back to 1492, and it indeed fails to connect to Netflix. I am not dubious that this is the fix, but I am confused as to why it is the fix.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7