Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android/2.4-5 GHz switching potential fix

Nikon164
Aspirant

Android/2.4-5 GHz switching potential fix

Good afternoon!

For those having problems with Android/5 GHz devices dropping the wifi and picking it back up immediately, I have found a temporary solution. The problem with the LG G5 and Pixel was that it was switching between 2.4 and 5 GHz connections regularly. On the Orbi, you cannot separate the SSID's for each frequency so I just disabled the SSID on the 2.4 GHz network. I then chose "forget network" and reconnect my 5 GHz capable devices to the only SSID showing which was 5 GHz.  All devices connected to 2.4 GHz stayed connected and the loss of signal quit happening. I suspect that the 2.4 seemed to be slightly stronger between walls so the strongest signal would vary between 2.4 and 5 GHz. Here is my configuration below. So far it has been up and running with no dropping or Orbi restarts for 18 hours.

Firmware: 2.1.2 10 Betaconfig.JPG

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 1 of 3
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Nikon164

Thank you for this feedback I will report your workaround to the engineers may help with the correct fix.

DarrenM

Message 2 of 3
Nikon164
Aspirant

Netgear,

I am sorry to say that this also did not work. It had the same problems as most of the other firmwares and configurations. I am done. The number of productive hours lost has now exceeded the value and utility of the product. Bought a Velop last week with no drops, restarts, or issues with Android. It really is too bad that you guys haven't figured the firmware and bugs out yet after the product has been out for so long. Done with Netgear now. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7