Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android 8 Crashes Orbi

rhester72
Virtuoso

I doubt it's related, but I am IPv6 dual-stack SLAAC as well.

Rodney

Message 126 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

@logdump good troubleshooting, but I think the crash happens after a long sleep/wake of wifi in my opinion. Maybe not long sleep but I think it's related to sleep. But I am curious about your test results anyway. I am outside my return window so I am stuck with the Orbi till they hopefully have a fix.
Message 127 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

OK - I'm really mystified now.  Just took out wifi again while on a static IP, so DHCP isn't it.

I *am* dual-stack, as indicated, but I find it hard to believe that IPv6 is a component of this (and I've no means of proving or disproving it regardless).

The only 100% foolproof way I've found of stopping the problem is simply not connect the phone to my home network, at all, period.

Message 128 of 222
logdump
Aspirant

I have done some more testing but now whenever I reply to this thread my findings are censored by the moderator. Very strange.

My replies keep getting removed and end up in https://community.netgear.com/t5/premod/moderationitemspage/tab/rejected

Message 129 of 222
turnerm05
Luminary

@rhester72 wrote:

OK - I'm really mystified now.  Just took out wifi again while on a static IP, so DHCP isn't it.

I *am* dual-stack, as indicated, but I find it hard to believe that IPv6 is a component of this (and I've no means of proving or disproving it regardless).

The only 100% foolproof way I've found of stopping the problem is simply not connect the phone to my home network, at all, period.

Agree.  Outside of trashing the Orbi, that IS the only solution and it's completely unacceptable.  And unless you're within the return window OR the 90 day free support window then you have to pay money to even have Netgear help you with the issue.  Seriously - how ridiculous is that???

Message 130 of 222
logdump
Aspirant

Well I have a few Orbi systems and one is within the 90 days warranty period but now that I submitted my ticket they claim I did not register the product correctly and want my invoice / receipt. I can't get to that until thenew year. Plus my post with more details on further testing I did has been removed by the moderator - twice, so its no accident. I start to think they are more interested in sweeping this under the carpet.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 131 of 222
logdump
Aspirant

@vreynolds wrote:
@logdump good troubleshooting, but I think the crash happens after a long sleep/wake of wifi in my opinion. Maybe not long sleep but I think it's related to sleep. But I am curious about your test results anyway. I am outside my return window so I am stuck with the Orbi till they hopefully have a fix.

I just came to that conclusion, too. I was hoping for a quick and easy replication of the issue but here is what happened three times now:

Bring up only my cable modem, router, Orbi and then the Chromecast Ultra.

Then spam the network with new devices joining. Booting up a handful of various Android phones and tablets. And... Nothing happened. Everything worked as it should.

I think back to the times where it crashed and I realize its always happening in the morning when I pick up an Android phone that has been untouched while I was sleeping. Cold boots do not seem to let me replicate the issue.

I publicly apologize to my trusted Chromecast Ultra. Sorry I wrongfully accused you, bud.

Now I think it is a memory leak on Chromecast or Orbi or some kind of flood of things the Android devices have queued up and blast out when they awaken from sleep.

At this point I would encourage all of you in here who have not done so yet to log into your Netgear support account and file a level 1 ticket and refer to this thread.

I have this overly optimistic concept that the lack of acknowledgement of this showstopper on Netgear's part is that they can claim ignorance because only a small number of actual tickets were created. Forum threads do not flow into any metrics. Only tickets do. Thus my call to action is to please go and create a ticket.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 132 of 222

So I enabled my Guest network and so far have been reboot free for over 3 days, no idea why, I have nothing actually connected to it but my main access point has been up for a while now. I still have my Pixel XL 2 and my sisters original Pixel, I had constant reboots before. Since enabling the guest network I had one reboot right after I did it and assumed it didn't help but was just thinking today I have not seen any reboots in a while, when I logged in to check I saw it had no reboots. I am on firmware 2.0.0.76 in AP mode for now until they fix the wifi password issue with the $ but it seems to be stable again.

System Uptime03:15:15:53
Message 133 of 222
turnerm05
Luminary

@electronics18 wrote:

So I enabled my Guest network and so far have been reboot free for over 3 days, no idea why, I have nothing actually connected to it but my main access point has been up for a while now. I still have my Pixel XL 2 and my sisters original Pixel, I had constant reboots before. Since enabling the guest network I had one reboot right after I did it and assumed it didn't help but was just thinking today I have not seen any reboots in a while, when I logged in to check I saw it had no reboots. I am on firmware 2.0.0.76 in AP mode for now until they fix the wifi password issue with the $ but it seems to be stable again.

System Uptime03:15:15:53

Wow... that would certainly be baffling if enabling the guest network fixed the problem!  I did not have my guest network enabled so you may be on to something.  I really hope it works for those that are still wresting with Orbi.

Message 134 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

I thought/tried the same - presence of Guest on my AP setup didn't help at all (whether the Pixel is connected to Guest or main).

Don't expect many responses from me from this point forward - now that Netgear has begun openly and blatantly censoring/blocking my posts, I'm pretty much done.  It's one thing to be practically become an unpaid support employee offering 'community support' for more than a year, another to be slapped in the face this way.

Rodney

Message 135 of 222
parostberg
Tutor

Rodney: Have you tried setting a fixed IP in you android phone (disable dhcp I the phone)?
After er changing this on my phone, things have been working for a few days.

No, this is not a good solution, but it seems to be working for now..
Message 136 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

Yes - after doing so, I experienced reboots within 2 hours.

Rodney

Message 137 of 222
lprzybylski
Guide

I was able to open a support ticket outside the 90 day return policy. I just needed to call into the 800 number to create the ticket. I'm on level 3 support with engineering looking at it. That being said and after two weeks, we're no closer to a solution from Netgear. They keep coming back to me with things that I've either tried or things that older community threads have talked about. No new solutions or acknowlegements that they've found issue.

They also really don't seem to care that this thread exists. Its not like we're helping them debug this issue with all our attempts to fix it through setting and enviormental changes (sarcasim). 

Message 138 of 222
sleepr88
Apprentice

the problem apears to be coming from Android Oreo devices... I verified by turning off wifi on my phone(Oreo 8.1) last night, haven't had any issues with Orbi... Netgear still has to come up with a fix for their end, because no way should a client be able to disrupt and REBOOT a router!

Message 139 of 222
Mabashi
Tutor

This problem is not caused by Android Oreo, can we please stop blaming the issue on that? I have Android 7.1 and am impacted by frequent reboots.
Message 140 of 222
sleepr88
Apprentice

I noticed it shortly after updating to 8.1... no problems before that

Message 141 of 222
sleepr88
Apprentice

and I made no changes to the Orbi system myself ... I haven't had any problems since buying it a little over a year ago (until recently)

Message 142 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

There are other factors other than upgrading to Oreo. We have no Oreo devices in our house, but we have the same problem. I have an S7 and an S8, both on Android 7.0. Constant reboot of the router.
Message 143 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

Let me clarify, I don't have any proof but I think it has something to do with the recent Android patch.
Message 144 of 222
logdump
Aspirant

@vreynolds wrote:
Let me clarify, I don't have any proof but I think it has something to do with the recent Android patch.

That isnt it either. My Samsung A7 are not Oreo and are not November / December 2017 Patch level. They are August 2017 patch level.

Message 145 of 222
ATLHokie01
Aspirant

I've been having the same constant router crash -> reboot issues for the last 6 weeks or so. We have a Google Pixel 2 phone as well. When the phone is connected to Wi-Fi, the issues occur. 

I went away over the holidays and when I returned home yesterday, my router crashed almost immediately. I then noticed that Google had released the January Security Patches for Pixel phones, so I downloaded the OTA file from Google and manually installed it. We are now about 16 hours later and the router has not had a crash or reboot since. My Logs go all the way back to yesterday afternoon. Fingers are crossed that the issue is fixed. If so, then the blame lies with Google. Even if you are not running a Google phone, if you have a Samsung you are running Google's software. The issue could lie somewhere in the security patches that they have released to manufactures or some of the underlying software that they silently update on all modern Android phones via Google Play Services. Time will tell, but if I don't report back, then the news is good.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 146 of 222
luisalvaradox
Aspirant

Same issues. It started for me using the latest 2.1.1.16 version

It happens once a day now, it also happens exactly at 9am my time. There is no schedules shutdown or anything (Netgear has no option for this anywhere on the Orbi). 

The devices connected are:

2 TVs (Samsung 8500 4K and Samsung 32' 720p TV both using a Chromecast 4K)

2 PCs (One laptop, one desktop)

2 Samsung 7

1 Samsung 8s

1 Samsung 5

1 Samsung 4

(Seeing this list looks like am a fan of samsung, never noticed that)

Since I work entirely from the internet, this happening to me it's a big problem. What other options are out there compared to Orbi?

Message 147 of 222
QuestingHero
Aspirant

After having an Orbi for 3 days and it rebooting every 15 min (upgrading to the latest firmware made it worse) I returned my Orbi and got a Linksys Velop. Network has been rock solid for several days now.

Message 148 of 222
turnerm05
Luminary

I replaced my Orbi with Eero. It's been rock solid for several weeks now. Not one single issue.
Message 149 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

I think I managed to stop the bleeding locally by taking the OnHub and putting it on an isolated VLAN on my switch - now that Orbi can't see _any_ traffic from the phone whatsoever, things stopped crashing.

That being said, I disagree with an earlier post that if the January security update from Google makes the crashes stop that "it means it was a Google problem".  No...I'm afraid I have to agree with an earlier poster who said that a router should never crash in the presence of errant traffic, ever, period.  I don't doubt there were bugs on *both* sides, but it's not the bug in OrbiOS that's aggravating...it's the appalling lack of attention to it by the vendor.

Message 150 of 222
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7