Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android 8 Crashes Orbi

dstrohmeyer
Aspirant

http://www.androidpolice.com/2017/12/24/android-8-oreo-may-causing-wi-fi-connection-problems-mesh-ro...

I having some issues too, but I might not be on Oreo, but it something that happened recently. 

Message 151 of 222
logdump
Aspirant

If y'all bothered to look back a page or two in this thread you will see that it's not Oreo or the January patch.

It happens to people with old unpatched phones that don't run Oreo. Like my Samsung A7, 2017 that runs Nougat and the patch Level is August.

Message 152 of 222
dstrohmeyer
Aspirant

While I respect your opinion sir or ma'am, I referring to the vast majority of the people on this thread, that is linking something with Android recently, including myself. Like multiple people have said, this started occurring in the last few weeks and stops when the phones wifi is turned off. So something, as the article state, a well known source of android news, it being cause be recent updates. 

Prior to this, my Orbi has not dropped connection in months. So, forgive me if I, and this thread, disagree with you.

Message 153 of 222
logdump
Aspirant

Thread doesn't disagree with me at all. I do not have a single Oreo device in the house and can make Orbi crash with Nougat devices as can be seen a page or two back and there are others who are in the same situation. They have Android devices that are pre-Oreo and waking them up from sleep crashes Orbi. Have you bothered reading the thread ?

Message 154 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

It sounds like both of you are saying the same thing. In a nutshell, it's not limited to Oreo or a recent patch, but rather something that happened in the last month or so. Is that right? My problem started about a month maybe a month-and-a-half ago. I have no Oreo devices, but a bunch of Android 7.0 devices. Anyway the most frustrating thing is netgear's lack of response. I just got my r7000 back from a friend, so the Orbis are going to be shut off soon. Plus I'm also advising everyone not to buy the Orbi's until they read these community threads.
Message 155 of 222
ATLHokie01
Aspirant

Going strong at 24 hours with no reboormts since applying the January patch to my Pixel 2. It may have nothing to do with Oreo. It may simply fix an underlying issue that didn't pop up until a recent under the hood update from Google, such as an update to Google Play Services. It could also be caused by an app that we all have in common. Either way, I am starting to get warm fuzzies about my Orbi again.
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 156 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

Agreed - as the battle rages on, the January patch does indeed seem to have addressed whatever the cause of the crash was.

Message 157 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

So with Android, if we don't have a pixel, or Nexus, I assume we are at the mercy of the carriers to roll out the security patch?
Message 158 of 222
guzzijason
Apprentice

@vreynolds wrote:
So with Android, if we don't have a pixel, or Nexus, I assume we are at the mercy of the carriers to roll out the security patch?

That's always been the rub with Android - a zillion different vendors with a zillion different versions all choosing to update (or not) however they see fit. The joy of open source software! 🙂

Message 159 of 222
dstrohmeyer
Aspirant

Keep us updated on the status of the Janurary patches if you can. I still have december so not going to put to test yet. 

Cheers!

Message 160 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

It was too good to be true.

My Pixel 2 XL on the January patch just rebooted Orbi.  *sigh*

Message 161 of 222
turnerm05
Luminary

Out of our curiosity, I set up my Orbi in AP mode with my Eero serving as the router to see if the January patch had fixed the issue. Nope. Still reboots after waking my phone from a long sleep. 

I'm out. Eero is going to be my final solution. I wouldn't even feel good about reselling or gifting my 3 Orbis. 

Message 162 of 222
tcommander
Guide

Has anyone else tried wired backhaul (single satellite direct (no switch))? As I posted early on in this thread, I don't have the reboots when my Satellite is connected to do wired backhaul.

Pixel 2 on December Updates
Orbi on latest firmware 2.1.1.16
Message 163 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

Here's something new for me: no reboots on the main router for over 3 days but the single satellite is rebooting daily, sometimes more that once. I don't know what's changed... Other than I added more devices such as an Nvidia Shield. The satellite reboots are less problematic but still...
Message 164 of 222
mad2
Guide

I tried wiring the router and the satellite directly and had a reboot occur in a short enough period of time that it didn't seem to help my situation

Message 165 of 222
allroadusa
Guide

Okay...Add me to the list.

First thing did this morning (I live in Europe) was to pick up my phone (OnePlus 5T with Oxygen OS 4.7.6 Android 7.1.1 and December patching) and immediately the RBR05 with latest beta 2.1.2.10 rebooted. Already had this 3 or 4 times with 2.1.1.16 but wasn't sure about the trigger until I read this topic.

I'm using Orbi system in AP mode, fixed Wifi channels (1 & 36), Daisychain ON but other wireless options disactivated (Beamforming, MU-MIMO, Fast roaming).

Issue does not seem related to Android O but maybe with latest patched Android version. 

I hope this will help troubleshooting.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System, RBS40| Orbi AC2200 Tri-band WiFi (Add-on Satellite)
Message 166 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

I have the Netgear Nighthawk r7000. Is there anything I can do with it? Can I use it in bridge mode or AP mode and just turn off the satellite until Netgear gets their act together? Anyone know if it fixes the reboots? I could use the r7000 by itself, but it just didn't have the range for all of my devices.
Message 167 of 222
guzzijason
Apprentice

@vreynolds wrote:
I have the Netgear Nighthawk r7000. Is there anything I can do with it? Can I use it in bridge mode or AP mode and just turn off the satellite until Netgear gets their act together? Anyone know if it fixes the reboots? I could use the r7000 by itself, but it just didn't have the range for all of my devices.

Maybe? However, people in the Pixel forum are reporting reboot issues with R7000s as well (along with lots of other routers from other manufacturers). Problem isn't exclusive or Orbi. Can't hurt to try, though.

Message 168 of 222
Only1Z
Aspirant

I switched back to my R7000 and it has been fine. It is behind 2 or 3 firmware updates. My Orbi would reboot 20+ times a day. I have had none with a week back on the R7000. I returned my Orbi. I would flash some older firmware on the R7000 if it is rebooting and see if it goes away.
Message 169 of 222
kryan27
Aspirant

RBR50 + 1x RBS50 - running firmware v. 2.1.1.16 with Circle enabled

Already factory reset and tried every other recommendation mentioned here.  We have a total of 5 Android 7.1.1, no Oreo.  In all, 14 hardwired devices and 19 wireless.  This is well under the 250 clients Netgear says Orbi can support and the 50 at higher utilization.  But I still see the CPU pretty high when on the debug screen.  Not convinced these devices aren't CPU strapped.  Wish I could get SNMP out of this box to track utilization better.  Anyone done this with scripting and telnet?  

Well, on to the support case:

Just spent a couple hours one the phone with support.  Let's just say either they have no clue what is going on with these routers or they won't own up to any issues.  After getting over the horrible phone latency to India, I worked with one support person that insisted it was a power issue and wanted me to switch the power brick with the one from my satellite.  Reluctantly I did. Surprise, no change.  He also had me change the router WAN MTU to 1450.  Why the heck that would help, but ok, I'll play.  Said to call back if the router reboots again.  I said talk to you soon.  

Asked my kids to "break the Internet" as we have come to refer to the issue.  Within 15 minutes they said, "we broke it".  At least this gave me 15 minutes to use the restroom and get a snack. I then called back into Netgear support.  After putting me on hold for 10 minutes, they came back saying I need to replace the router.  I offered debug logs and panic logs, I want to help fix this.  They had no interest.  Just RMA the router.  Makes me think there is a known hardware issue.

First option was to send in the router and they would ship me the new one free of charge.  I can't just not have a router, so I asked for another option.  They said for $19.95 they could send me an advanced replacement and I could send mine back.  Are you kidding me?  Let's just say after a heart to heart discussion and another long hold, I got the advanced replacement for free.  I said great, shipping out Monday.  He went to setup the RMA and had to put me on hold again.  When he came back on the line he said they have no stock of the router and I will have to call back in tomorrow, Sunday.  WTF?  At this point it has to happen.  Not sure what I will say if they still tell me they have no stock tomorrow.  No stock?  Thinking even more that it is hardware related.  Not sure how long this will go on. 

I urge anyone with this issue to call in instead of expecting a fix reading this thread.  It is a hardware issue and they cannot make you pay for support if you are still under warranty.

Stay tuned.

Message 170 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

@kryan27 thanks for the good info. Could someone verify that a hardware replacement fixes their issue? I am not convinced that it would, since the problems started recently. I am in some kind of a weird Twilight Zone endless loop when I try to call them. I am outside my 90 days but inside the one-year mark, but still cannot get a phone number to call them. I guess if a hardware replacement fixes the issue, I don't think anyone's going to bother coming back over here to post about it.
Message 171 of 222
orb526
Guide

I seem to be a victim of this issue as well.  I have been trying to diagnose periodic lost connections on my Orbi.  I am on firmware 2.0.0.74 and have not tried updating to any newer firware versions.  I did a factory reset this weekend to rule that out as a conributor.  Then, after a lot of testing yesterday, I was able to duplicate the issue with one Pixel running 8.1 and the January patch.  Consistently, if I let the phone sit for a while (30+ minutes?) and then wake it up, the Orbi looses all connections in the base and satellite and both the Wifi and wired LAN connections.  The whole netork goes down and the connection to the cable modem is lost (the link light on the modem stops blinking).  I have three other Android devices running in the house, a 6P on 8.0, a 5X on 80 and a 6 on 7.1.1 (or something close to that whatever the last official OTA update was).  I have not been able to duplicate the issue with those devices yet.  For the next few days I will leave my Pixel Wifi off and see what level of improvment I can measure.

However, I am not comletely convinced this is the only problem with my Orbi right now.  I have been running a stability test on it and not surprisingly over the night with no usage, the connection remained up.  But for some reason I found a disconnect this morning early at 5:30 AM.  That one I can't explain yet.  I am going to keep testing and try turning of the other Android Wifi one by one to see if the issue stops.

Message 172 of 222
dstrohmeyer
Aspirant

This issue does seem to be spreading somewhat. Since turning off wifi to my phone (Note 5) it has been much less of an issue. But I had an old tablet (original galaxy Tab S) and a fire HD 8, and Fire HD 10 all cause the drop on rare occassion. It is not near as much with the Samsung phone, but I have still noticed it. Other devices, Xbox, roku, fire tv, etc have not seemed to have done it. 

Message 173 of 222
orb526
Guide

As and update to my previous post, and based on the suggestion of others, yesterday I connected an old Asus router in AP mode to my Orbi router and connected all Oreo devices (8.0 & 8.1) to the Asus.  So far this has eliminated the Orbi crashes.  It is possible the Asus is crashing but that is not as noticeable with only phones connected to it.  When the Orbi goes down it typically interferes with users streaming video or gaming and is therefore very noticeable and annoying!

This is not the best solution but certianly a good workaround until either Google or Netgear can implement a fix.

Message 174 of 222
RobbieCrash
Guide

My additional $0.02 while using a Pixel 2 on the December patch:

1. When the satellite is online every time my phone connects, or every time it wakes from sleep, the Orbi router reboots. The satellite stays active and responsive. However, I'm always connected to the router, not the satellite.

2. When the satellite is offline, rather than rebooting the router, the wifi just drops. Each time this happens the following shows up in dmesg:

[wifi1] FWLOG: [133669581] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_UCAST_KEY_SET ( 0xad79, 0x0 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133669581] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_ENCR_EN (  )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133669581] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_ALLOW_DATA ( 0x43eb8c )
 missing case for op class 83 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 84 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 116 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 117 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 118 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 119 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 120 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 121 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 122 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 123 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 124 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 125 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 126 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 127 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 128 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
 missing case for op class 130 in ieee80211_mbo_operating_class_to_chan
Disabled for Offload Architecture
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133671920] RATE: ChainMask 3, peer_mac ad:79, phymode 10, ni_flags 0x0621b006, vht_mcs_set 0xfffa, ht_mcs_set 0xffff, legacy_rate_set 0x0ff0
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133671920] RTT_REPORT ( 0x2804, 0x3, 0x479, 0x0, 0x9 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133672064] MGMT_TXRX_MU_GID_MGMT ( 0xaf, 0x2, 0x0, 0xfffe, 0x0 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133672064] MGMT_TXRX_MU_GID_MGMT ( 0xb3, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133672064] MGMT_TXRX_MU_GID_MGMT ( 0xadd, 0x2, 0x0 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133672427] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_UCAST_KEY_SET ( 0xad79, 0x0 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133672427] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_ENCR_EN (  )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133672427] WAL_DBGID_SECURITY_ALLOW_DATA ( 0x43eb8c )
Switching to Tx Mode-1 Threshold 0
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133674728] WAL_DBGID_TX_BA_SETUP ( 0x43eb8c, 0xad790006, 0x2, 0x40, 0x1 )
[wifi1] FWLOG: [133674739] RATE: ChainMask 3, peer_mac ad:79, phymode 10, ni_flags 0x0621b006, vht_mcs_set 0xfffa, ht_mcs_set 0xffff, legacy_rate_set 0x0ff0
Message 175 of 222
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7