Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android 8 Crashes Orbi

Hydro130
Luminary

@Tpars wrote:

I have removed my 4 chromecast devices,  updated to the new firmware 2.1.2.18.  I still get reboots.  If I log onto my RBR50 and RBS50 (Pixel XL) within 1 minute the router reboots. NOTHING is getting fixed here. 

Firmware 2.1.2.18 does not claim to address the Chromecast issue. 

That issue appears to be on Google's end to fix, and Google is supposedly releasing an update tomorrow (1/18) for it.

Message 201 of 222
Tpars
Guide

Thanks for letting me know
Message 202 of 222
lprzybylski
Guide

Let's all just keep in mind, that if these Google Chromecast issues are the cause of our reboots, its not all Google's fault. While they have bugs in there Chromcast infrastucture, a device on your LAN should not be able to overwhelm or reboot your router. 100,000 packets isn't even that much compared to a real DoS attack, which Netgear claims they have protections for. Other routers have protections (like rate control) that are stopping this from becoming an issue on their network. 

Netgear needs to address this issue from their end. Otherwise the next bug (from any company) will just overwhelm the router all over again. 

Message 203 of 222
Jramlow
Tutor

I would agree that the root cause for the issue appears to be Googles to fix however Netgear can't wash their hands of this. This router should have protections in place for this type of issue. It may be Google issue today but who knows who it will be tomorrow. Other manufacturers already have these protections in place OR are applying patches to handle this type of issue. Netgear has not even acknowledged the issue exists. At least not from the Orbi side.  

Message 204 of 222
lprzybylski
Guide

I'm removed all my Chromecast devices (Google Home and Chromecast dongles) from my network. I've signed up for the Google Play Services beta (now running 11.9.73) on both Galaxy S7 edge phones. And removed the Google Home app from my phone. 

With this config since, I haven't had a reboot and my phone would always reboot the network in the morning when I woke up (not this morning though). Its been a short amount of time, but I wanted to share it with all of you anyway. 

Message 205 of 222
Hydro130
Luminary

@Jramlow wrote:

.... Netgear has not even acknowledged the issue exists. At least not from the Orbi side.  

The Orbi Product Manager posted earlier that they are working with Google on a solution (post 348 in the "OrbiOS 2.1.1" thread).

This issue is pretty much exclusively on Google (they say it happens when BOTH a Android phone AND a Chromecast device [like Home] are present on same wifi network), and Google is releasing a fix tomorrow for it.

I don't disagree that Netgear should also be working on their end to prevent any similar such vulnerabilities in the future, but A.) they've acknowledged that they are in the process of making that happen, and B.) this seems like a very unique/rare combination of factors causing the crash - I wouldn't worry about it being some sort of common or easily-exploited vulnerability that needs immediate patching.

Message 206 of 222
Tpars
Guide

Google to Issue Fix Tomorrow for Slow WiFi-Chromecast Bug

https://www.droid-life.com/2018/01/17/google-home-chromecast-slow-wifi-fix/

Message 207 of 222
sleepr88
Apprentice

@Hydro130 

Seriously? If Netgear was paying attention they would have acknowledged there was a problem sooner, and worked hard to get a patch out like TP-link and Linksys did

Message 208 of 222
Jramlow
Tutor

@Hydro130 you are correct. I missed the single sentence in a single post in a thread that was over 370 posts long which was posted at quarter after 12 last night. In the mean time this issue has been going on for well over a month. Many people have posted here. I personally know of one person who has been trying to work with Netgear tier 2 support since mid December and simply been getting the runaround. Linksys and TP-Link found this issue and brought it to the attention of google. Netgear appears to be playing catchup. 

I am glad that they are working on prevention measures. I would not say its all that uncommon because wasn't it just a few weeks ago that Sonos had a flooding issue? I don't have Sonos so I can't really comment on it but I seem to remember seeing that there was a Sonos connected amp flood issue that was causing similar WiFi dropouts. I'm glad it isn't a vulnerability that we really need focused attention on.

My biggest beef is that I spent a lot of money on a one of the most expensive home mesh systems available and its been sitting in a box on my table because my network kept going up and down. I'm out of my 90 day support window and am directed here only to see posts indicating this is limited to a very small segment of the population as evidenced by the lack of articles posted by the news sites....at least until yesterday! Now, it is a big issue being covered by everyone. 

As I said earlier, at least it is getting is well deserved attention now. 

Message 209 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

I work for a big software company, and we regularly send out our employees today communities to check posts and identify any major issues to work on them right away. I've seen a few Netgear employees here, but it's normally something like send your details to support. Only last week, they asked for a detailed explanation of what's going on. I think the problem that people have with Netgear, is that they didn't get ahead of this in advance. There are so many threads on router reboot or constant internet disconnects for several weeks now. They really should have investigated this.
Message 210 of 222
turnerm05
Luminary

Read this thread to see how eero proactively implemented protection against this very issue. This is why I'll be staying with eero for good.

https://www.reddit.com/r/eero/comments/7qkjt8/does_eero_mitigate_this_chromecast_bug/

Message 211 of 222
orb526
Guide

I installed the beta update for Google Play Services on 4 Android phones and ran them all weekend with zero Orbi crashes.  The beta app does fix the problem.  My advice to anyone with this frustrating issue:  Do not wait for Google to release the official app...  Who knows how long that will take...  Sideload the APK immediatly!  

https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/google-inc/google-play-services/google-play-services-11-9-74-release/

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 212 of 222
Mayhugh1
Apprentice

An important reason for Netgear to add their own protection against this vulnerability is that even as the Chromecast dust settles, hackers are swarming to Android's open source playground to re-exploit it.

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 213 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

Uh oh. Running 11.9.75 Google Play Services on all 3 of my Android phones, and just had a reboot as soon as my wife touched her phone this evening. I wonder if the other devices need this Play services update also. This is getting really old!
Message 214 of 222
orb526
Guide

I would suggest to put the beta Google Play Services app on any and all Android phones on the network.  This is issue is not only an 8.1 issue.  On my network I had 1 phone on 8.1, 2 on 8.0, and 1 on 7.1.  All of these phones were capable of crashing the router.  I have installed the beta app on all 4 of these devices and I have been crash free for 3 days now.

Message 215 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

I have the beta on all my three Android phones, but Google Home also needs an update right? I also have an Nvidia Shield TV (Android TV device). These things run Android, so they too need the update I assume.
Message 216 of 222
dstrohmeyer
Aspirant

Can anyone confirm that the updates are working?

If possible, can someone give me a run down on how to force google play services to update?

Thanks everyone for all the information!

Message 217 of 222
orb526
Guide

@vreynolds wrote:
I have the beta on all my three Android phones, but Google Home also needs an update right? I also have an Nvidia Shield TV (Android TV device). These things run Android, so they too need the update I assume.

The issue is with how Android phones were waking up cast enabled devices, not the cast devices themselves.  I have 3 Chromecast, 2 Home-minis, and a Nvidia Shield.  There is nothing needed for any of those devices.  If you simply update the Google Play Services app to the latest beta version (currently 11.9.75), it should resolve the router crashing issue.

Message 218 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

You need to either register for the beta version of Google Play Services or sideload the beta.

That _may_ not be enough.

In my experience, I still encountered some disruption until I did the following (on Android 8.1):

Settings -> Google -> Cast Media Controls -> Media Controls for Cast Devices set to Off

Since then, not a blip, and 100% stability on 2.1.2.18.

Message 219 of 222

I've been running the 11.9.75 Beta Goggle Play Services on my Android Phones (Pixel XL v8.1 / 6P v7.1) for the past 72hrs and I haven't been able to trigger any of the mDNS related WiFi issues or Router Crashes.

I still have some more detailed tests to run later this week, but all of the normal use and device wake-up related issues look to be solved with the Google Player Services Beta release.  

Message 220 of 222
vreynolds
Luminary

I had one reboot when my wife picked up her patched phone in 4 days. This is better than several reboots a day but wonder if it is a coincidence that the reboot occurred on phone wake.
Message 221 of 222
rhester72
Virtuoso

@vreynolds wrote:
I had one reboot when my wife picked up her patched phone in 4 days. This is better than several reboots a day but wonder if it is a coincidence that the reboot occurred on phone wake.

I don't think it's coincidence.  See my post three up from this one.

Message 222 of 222
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7