Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android Device can't connect to network ressources although stays connected to Wifi

chris_at
Tutor

Android Device can't connect to network ressources although stays connected to Wifi

Device:

Sony Z2 Tablet running Android 6.0.1 (last Update from Sony)

ORBI50 AC3000 with latest firmware (V2.2.1.210)

Never had any issues with a Netgear Nighthawc AC1900 R7000 running on DD-WRT which was replaced by the Orbi System.

Tablet is connected using 2.4 Ghz to the main router. I deactivated the satelites - problem remains:

The internet connection is working fine until all of the sudden it stops working. The device is still connected to the Wifi but it shows that there is no internet connection. Also it is not possible to access local ressources like the Orbi Router, Printer etc.

When I deactivate Wifi and reactivate it's working again.

Other devices like Win10 Thinkpads or iOS devices don't have any issues.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

Re: Android Device can't connect to network ressources although stays connected to Wifi

@chris_at wrote:

Device:

Sony Z2 Tablet running Android 6.0.1 (last Update from Sony)

ORBI50 AC3000 with latest firmware (V2.2.1.210)

That's not the latest firmware.  Download and install v.32 to see if problem persists.

Message 2 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

Where do I get this firmware?

The update function says 2.2.1.210 is the latest and also on the product support page there is only this version available.

I then found a page for 2.3.0.32 saying

"If you’re manually updating the firmware using a browser, you cannot update the firmware directly to v2.3.0.32. You must first update the firmware to v2.2.1.212.  After updating the firmware v2.2.1.212, your Orbi router will reboot, and then you can update to v2.3.0.32.   "

So I need to get 2.2.1.212 first ... is there actually a support page that lists all available versions and why is 2.2.1.210 listed as current if newer versions exist? Or are these version still beta / unstable?

Message 3 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

If you read the forum thread titles, you will find exactly what you are looking for.

https://kb.netgear.com/000060603/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-3-0-32

Here is intermediate firmware link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/34qdnx73uikusf7/RBR50-V2.2.1.212.zip?dl=0

Message 4 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

Thanks - I really appreciate

but from Netgear thats kind of ... do they really expect End Users to manually search for Firmware Versions which then needs another temporary version to update?

Message 5 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

Read above... I edited and added intermediate link.

Message 6 of 35
Blanca_O
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi @chris_at

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information @Chuck_M provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance.

Regards, 
Blanca 
Community Team

Message 7 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

Hi,

I updated to the latest firmware but it seems the issue occured after that again - as I was not using the device I will wait a couple of days to see myself if the problem got solved.

br

Message 8 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

Can you tell us again what equipment you have orbi plugged into?  (e.g. make/model?)

Message 9 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

You mean the internet router?
Thats a ZTE MF283+ LTE-Router. But as also Orbi itself and other local ressources are not accessible I don't think it's got much to do with the LTE router.
It also never caused any issues with the old netgear router.

But as I said I haven't seen this issue myself yesterday. I restarted the tablet yesterday evening and as I'm not using it a lot since then I can't yet tell if the update fixed it or not.

Give me a couple of days and if I don't have this issue until sunday I'd say its fixed.

Message 10 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

..........Thats a ZTE MF283+ LTE-Router. ........

This is a router and likely your issues are caused by a double NAT situation.

A simple and quick way to test if you have double NAT is using traceroute.

Please open a Command Prompt on any computer attached to Orbi and type:

tracert 8.8.8.8

1. If you see two private IP addresses listed in the first two hops then you have double NAT. Please check the model of your ISP modem and if you have a manual for it.
  2. If you see only one private address and the second hop shows a public address, then you’re all good and we need then to troubleshoot further to find the root cause of the issue,

In the manual for your 4G Router, pgae 10, there is the following setting:

Namnlöst 2.png

What setting do you currently have there?

Message 11 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Modem Combo Units:
This would be a double NAT condition which isn't recommended. Couple of options,
1. Configure the modem for transparent bridge mode. Then use the Orbi router in router mode. You'll need to contact the ISP for help and information in regards to the modem being bridged correctly.
2. If you can't bridge the modem, disable ALL wifi radios on the modem, configure the modems DMZ or IP Pass-Through for the IP address the Orbi router gets from the modem. Then you can use the Orbi router in Router mode.
3. Or disable all wifi radios on the modem and connect the Orbi router to the modem, configure AP mode on the Orbi router. https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop

@chris_at wrote:

You mean the internet router?
Thats a ZTE MF283+ LTE-Router. But as also Orbi itself and other local ressources are not accessible I don't think it's got much to do with the LTE router.
It also never caused any issues with the old netgear router.

But as I said I haven't seen this issue myself yesterday. I restarted the tablet yesterday evening and as I'm not using it a lot since then I can't yet tell if the update fixed it or not.

Give me a couple of days and if I don't have this issue until sunday I'd say its fixed.

Message 12 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

Well wouldn't all devices be affected if it was a NAT issue? Its only this android tablet that has troubles with orbi. And also local ips cannot be reached where no NAT is needed.

The problem wasn't fixed by the update. ;(

Message 13 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

Well wouldn't all devices be affected if it was a NAT issue? ........

Not necessarily!

Message 14 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Try the modem configuration suggestions...

@chris_at wrote:

Well wouldn't all devices be affected if it was a NAT issue? Its only this android tablet that has troubles with orbi. And also local ips cannot be reached where no NAT is needed.

The problem wasn't fixed by the update. ;(

Message 15 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

Ok so actually after a software update I was able to setup the LTE Router in Bridge mode. So no double NAT anymore - guess I should have done that before but who changes something thats working perfectly well - at least it seemed so 😉

So lets see if that fixed the problem. Will take 1-2 days to confirm.

Message 16 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

Ok so actually after a software update I was able to setup the LTE Router in Bridge mode. So no double NAT anymore - guess I should have done that before but who changes something thats working perfectly well - at least it seemed so 😉

Good luck! 🙂

Message 17 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad that was a simple fix. 

Please mark your thread as solved so others will know for future reference. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@chris_at wrote:

Message 18 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

not fixed 😞

Problem is still there ...

Message 19 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

So is the modem still in bridge mode? 

It was working. What changed? 

@chris_at wrote:

not fixed 😞

Problem is still there ...

Message 20 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

yes - still in bridge mode - still all devices but the android tablet working having no issues with the networt / internet connection

Message 21 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Almost sounds like a problem with the Android device. 

Has it's SW/FW been updated recently? 

Message 22 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

yes - still in bridge mode - still all devices but the android tablet working having no issues with the networt / internet connection

Have you tested the tracert command as described above? It will be interesteing to see if you really now have only one NAT router after the latest changes?

Message 23 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

trace route gives

Routenverfolgung zu google-public-dns-a.google.com [8.8.8.8]
über maximal 30 Hops:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 78 ms 27 ms 50 ms 172.16.22.170
3 * * * Zeitüberschreitung der Anforderung.
4 64 ms 37 ms 27 ms 213.94.72.44
5 40 ms 18 ms 46 ms ae9.vienna51.vie.seabone.net [195.22.215.60]
6 96 ms 54 ms 59 ms racc.franco52.fra.seabone.net [195.22.211.207]
7 89 ms 40 ms 44 ms

not sure why there is a timeout on the 3rd hop but as only one internal ip is shown I guess there is no double NAT

software/firmaware of the table has not been updated since its not maintained by sony any more and I saw no need to switch to a alternative rom.
It might be a combination of Orbi and the Device but its defenitly not the device that worked flawlessly for the past 4-5 years in combination with the R7000 and other hotspots when traveling.

Message 24 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms 192.168.1.1
2 78 ms 27 ms 50 ms 172.16.22.170

Both 192.168.1.1 and 172.16.22.170 are private addresses so you actually have double NAT, and I believe this is the main source of the issue!

Message 25 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7