Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android Device can't connect to network ressources although stays connected to Wifi

chris_at
Tutor

Re: Android Device can't connect to network ressources although stays connected to Wifi

172.xxx is the IP I got assigned from the network provider ... no way to get around this. So basically every customer of Three Austria has double NAT then 😉

Message 26 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

172.xxx is the IP I got assigned from the network provider ... no way to get around this. So basically every customer of Three Austria has double NAT then 😉

So you mean that your ISP provides you with ONE private IP address? Only one IP or a DHCP service? Can you connect multiple devices to the ISP router and get them to work? Which IP address range will you get if you connect multiple devices to the ISP router?

Message 27 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

172... is the IP that I get on the WAN port from the provider. 

The LTE Router or now the Orbi have a 192... range. Obviously I don't get a public IP from the provider. I will call them tomorrow morning and see if they can provide a public IP.

I thought they did in the past.

Message 28 of 35
Chuck_M
Mentor

can you go to WHATISMYIP.COM and see what your IP is?  (xxx out the last octal for privacy)

Message 29 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

Well the technical support wasn't really helpful.

I do get a public IP (77.x.x.x) assigned to the router - I also see that on WHATISMYIP.COM

But I don't know yet where the 172.x.x.x is coming from. I try to get an answer via the local forum on such topics maybe someone knows more about that.

BUT that setup didn't cause any issues in the past - so I still doubt thats the cause of the issues

Message 30 of 35
ekhalil
Master

@chris_at wrote:

But I don't know yet where the 172.x.x.x is coming from. I try to get an answer via the local forum on such topics maybe someone knows more about that.

This must be the internal network in the 4G router?

@chris_at wrote:

.......BUT that setup didn't cause any issues in the past - so I still doubt thats the cause of the issues

This is the nature of double NAT issues, can appear only for very specific ports and traffic cases.

Message 31 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

No replies on the other forum. I think there is no way to get around this 172.x.x.x - likely internal IP of the LTE router.

But regarding double NAT: the traffic cases and ports did not change and it even effects normal browsing not only streaming and access to the webinterface of the local NAS or Orbi itself. I assume for the later there is no NAT involved at all.

I really appriciate but I honestly doubt its a double NAT issue as nothing changed but the router (R7000 -> Orbi).
As I have the feeling I can't be sure Orbi will work with any device (in the future) and it is also lacking a VPN client  I guess the best option for me is to replace the Orbi system again with a DD-WRT based system.
( Yes I know there is a post about VPN client for Orbi but it's been in review by netgear for a long time and the mentioned limitation by the used CPU does make sense. )

So again thanks a lot for trying to help but if there are no other suggestens but double NAT elimination I guess we can close this topic.

Message 32 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

Have you configured Orbi for AP mode with the LTE router? 

@chris_at wrote:

No replies on the other forum. I think there is no way to get around this 172.x.x.x - likely internal IP of the LTE router.

But regarding double NAT: the traffic cases and ports did not change and it even effects normal browsing not only streaming and access to the webinterface of the local NAS or Orbi itself. I assume for the later there is no NAT involved at all.

I really appriciate but I honestly doubt its a double NAT issue as nothing changed but the router (R7000 -> Orbi).
As I have the feeling I can't be sure Orbi will work with any device (in the future) and it is also lacking a VPN client  I guess the best option for me is to replace the Orbi system again with a DD-WRT based system.
( Yes I know there is a post about VPN client for Orbi but it's been in review by netgear for a long time and the mentioned limitation by the used CPU does make sense. )

So again thanks a lot for trying to help but if there are no other suggestens but double NAT elimination I guess we can close this topic.

Message 33 of 35
chris_at
Tutor

No as that is not an option for me. Orbi is way to expensive as AP and the LTE router also lacks functionality I'd like to use.

Message 34 of 35
FURRYe38
Guru

I would at least give it a try to see if this resolves the Adroid device. If there is a NAT issue, this will be telling if this changes in AP mode with the Android device. You can change The Orbi back.

Does the LTE router have a DMZ or IP Pass thru feature? 

@chris_at wrote:

No as that is not an option for me. Orbi is way to expensive as AP and the LTE router also lacks functionality I'd like to use.

Message 35 of 35
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 34 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7