Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Android & 2nd Gen Firesticks dropping off network?

Jodus
Aspirant

Android & 2nd Gen Firesticks dropping off network?

Bought an Orbi system with one router and one satellite. Mostly pleased with it, generally excellent speeds, however my Android handset drops off the network regularly. Often my Samsung S6 Edge thinks that it is still connected but it isn't and the 4g then kicks in.

Also noticed that my 2nd generation Firestick is also reporting 'no network' at regular intervals.

I'm running the latest firmware version available on both the router and satellite. Just not sure where to start troubleshooting this issue.
For the price of this system I didn't expect any basic connectivity issues that I'm experiencing which is disappointing.

Any help appreciated!!!
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 1 of 7
JoeCymru
Virtuoso

Re: Android & 2nd Gen Firesticks dropping off network?

Just a thought: There was a known Android issue, that Google has theoretically fixed. Can you update your phones firmware? If locked check on the availabilty of a update with your company. Unsure about the firesticks.

Message 2 of 7
Jodus
Aspirant

thanks for the suggestion...but I'm on Android v7.0 which is the most recent update available from Voda.
My phone has no problems with disconnects on any other wifi systems...
Are there any log or debug files on the Orbi that might help in diagnosing the root cause of this issue?
Message 3 of 7
guzzijason
Apprentice

The fix from Google wasn't an Android OS update, but rather, and update for the Google Play Services app. If you have that, make sure it is the most recent version.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kevinmurnane/2018/01/18/heres-how-to-fix-the-problem-if-googles-home-or...

Message 4 of 7
Jodus
Aspirant

Thanks again for this information. My Google Play services is showing as up to date, with version 11.9.75, so not sure that this can be related to my issue?
Message 5 of 7
Jodus
Aspirant

My problem unfortunately still exists. Pretty disappointing really considering how much this Wifi system cost. I'm struggling to understand why my Android handset works on every other Wifi system I use but not the Orbi?

Message 6 of 7
FURRYe38
Guru

Try diabling Beamforming and MIMO on the router...see if this helps any.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7