Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android battery impacts with Orbi

csetera
Tutor

Android battery impacts with Orbi

I recently purchased an Orbi with a single satellite from Amazon.  Unfortunately, I'm seeing serious battery drain on my Android devices with the Orbi versus my R6250 setup.  If I swap the R6250 back in for the Orbi, I see battery life go back to what I'm used to.  Interestingly, it seems like if I turn off the satellite, that battery life also goes back up (although it is unclear if it goes back to "normal"). 

I've tried moving the satellite around, but that hasn't appeared to help.  I originally thought that maybe there was some issue with extra broadcast and multicast packets when using the Orbi, but looking at network traffic (from my laptop) with Wireshark seemed to prove that that is not the case.

I've reached out to support, but so far they haven't been able to help.  If I can't straighten this out, I may have to return the Orbi.

Craig

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 7
TomMac
Guru

this may help...my S7 was draining up to 40% at night before changes, now its down to 2-3% ( which is normal )

=======================

Dupe from another thread but was relevant here too; ( first time I turned BOTH Beamforming and MU-MIMO off together )

WIFI not draining S7 now...

Just an observation re the Android devices,... Not exactly sure if new sw or changes made

Have a new S7 that was draining 30-40 % at night on standby with only wifi on, and IOS drop outs. I was more concerned with the IOS/Ipad issue as it stopped me from streaming without dropouts several times per hour.

Put in a trouble report and was sent a new debug version of sw just a bit newer than the latest version issued,  ( .12 debug ) .06 is current.

Been running the debug sw for a week now and no answers yet from techs after 2 sets of logs submitted.

Last night I turned off Beamforming and MU-MIMO to try a few others things that others post here... for the IOS problem ( not even thinking about the android as I got use to turning off wifi at night )

Last night charged phone to 100% at 9pm, this morning at 8 am ( I left the wifi on just to see changes if any ) and found the S7 sitting at 97%...WOW!

The draining of the battery on the phone has stopped with wifi on.  ( I was turning off the wifi and loosing 2% ) In both cases wifi on /wifi off the phone was in sleep mode with no apps runniing in background overnight

So, it appears that either the new SW or the disabling of Beamforming & MU-MIMO or both have solved my S7 wifi issue

Message 2 of 7
csetera
Tutor

In my case, both of those are already disabled, but I'm on the official release (.6) version.  How would I go about getting the unreleased version?  Just ask the support tech I've been working with?

Message 3 of 7
TomMac
Guru

@csetera wrote:

In my case, both of those are already disabled, but I'm on the official release (.6) version.  How would I go about getting the unreleased version?  Just ask the support tech I've been working with?

that would prob be the only way... they sent me the debug version to have me capture logs

name of RBR50-V1.8.0.12-db0307

Message 4 of 7
csetera
Tutor

OK.  I've asked my support technician for the version you referenced... hopefully they will come through.  For the moment, I've had to switch back to my previous AP since the battery drain is so extreme.

Message 5 of 7
TomMac
Guru

Another option, which I was using at night, is to just switch off the wifi before going to bed.

Message 6 of 7
csetera
Tutor

I work from home, so I'd basically have to turn off Wifi 24x7 to avoid this issue.  Which seems a bit backwards to me. 

We are in the midst of packing to move and if I can't resolve this in the next 2 weeks, I'm just going to have to return the Orbi and worry about all of this after we get settled in at our new place.

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7