Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

Vinterbird
Star

Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

(This was also an issue before the latest firmware)

Our Android devices (tablets and phones) keep experincing the same issue. They are all sporadically thrown off WiFi and re-connected again a few seconds later. 

What could the reason for this, and any recommended way of fixing this issue? I've done no changes to the basic Orbi setup, other then enabling Ipv6 and changing the DNS (issue was also present before doing those two changes).

I previously had a Nightahwk X8 where this never was an issue, so I'm worried either a setting or the Orbi system itself is flawed. In general I feel like the X8 has been superior in terms of speed, range and stability. Is that supposed to be correct?

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 1 of 153
TomMac
Guru

Message 2 of 153
Vinterbird
Star

Looking at the thread at a glance, I don't think so. I've never had issues with the iOS devices in the house and this was before the latest firmware hit, it's also present on the latest firmware. But the root of the issue might be the same.

Message 3 of 153
rseijen
Guide

I have the same problem with two android phones. My IOS products work fine but the android ones keep ketting disconnected en reconnected. Very very annoying. I am honestly thinking about returning this product because its faulty in my opinion.

Message 4 of 153
Vandergraff
Apprentice

Yes same issue here.

Android client (Samsung Galaxy) disconnects and then reconnects - it reconnects quickly but is frustrating 

Message 5 of 153
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone

First thing I would try to do is to disable beamforming and Mu Mimo see if that is causing the issue. The setting is located in Advanced-Advanced Setup- Wireless setting and should be 2 check boxes at the bottom. The other thing I can think of is the wifi radio may be bouncing back and forth between the satellite and the main router causing the disconnects you could try to position the satellite a little further away if possible.

DarrenM

Message 6 of 153
rseijen
Guide

Those options are off and Intried every channel available. No luck. Its really an issue with android and this router. I will bring it back after the holidays.
Message 7 of 153
rseijen
Guide

And the router and sattelite are two floors apart. The next would have been to put the sattelite on the roof and I guess thats not the idea. Its just not as greatbas I expected from the ads. I had a apple network (much slower) but that was stable.
Message 8 of 153
Vandergraff
Apprentice

The Android device is normally connected to the main router (not satellite) when disconnects occur.

Placement is per recommendations - router where Intenet (cable modem) accesses the house and satellite in center of the house. Disconnects occur when devices  are closer to the router (and connected to the router).

Message 9 of 153
Streak2
Master

I am running an S7 Edge and a Galaxy Tab S2 with no problems on a new Orbi installation (about a week old).

Happy to run some tests for you if that will help.

Message 10 of 153
Vinterbird
Star

Did you change anything to settings within the router?

Are you using a ISP modem/router and connecting that to the Orbi?

Trying to wrap my head around why so many of my devices can't keep a stable connection to the system.

Message 11 of 153
Streak2
Master

I have the Orbi plugged directly into my AT&T residential gateway.

I made no changes to the Orbi settings. 

We have Iphone's, wireless printer, Roku, wireless thermostats, Kindle and the android devices all working well with the Orbi.

During installation Orbi assigned 10.0 IP range to the  to keep it separate to the 192.168 range of the AT&T RG.

Prior to the Orbi I had another Netgear router also attached to the RG and also manually changed the IP range to 10.0. Before making this change I had connectivity issues.

Maybe try and do a reset on the Orbi as a long shot? Also maybe restart the router that the Orbi is attached to.

Check the IP ranges of the Orbi and your router.

Message 12 of 153
JMU1998
Luminary

My android devices and Sony Xperia z4 tablet and phones also experience random WiFi drops frequently, have tried factory resets many times, different channels disabled beamforming nothing works this issue was a lot less frequent on old 16 Firmware with the 18 Firmware it happens constantly 

Message 13 of 153
StevenYago
Tutor

I ran into the same issue holding a connection for a Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. I opened the orbilogin.com site on my desktop when I tried to connect the tab3 and noticed that the ip addresses did not match. The orbi assigned 192.168.1.5 but the tab noted the address of 192.168.1.125. I went into the tab3 advanced setup under the orbi connection and changed the dhcp setting to manual and entered the 192.168.1.5 with the other settings left alone.

Once I restarted the tab it connected quickly and so far seems to be working. I know its not the perfect solution, but it'll work while you're in your home.

Good luck. 

Message 14 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

My S7 Edge is constanly about every 5 seconds losing the wifi then it connects again.  

Message 15 of 153
Streak2
Master

This is really odd.

I am also running the latest firmware V1.4.0.18  (updated the satellite first and then the base) and both of my Android devices (S7 Edge and Galaxy Tab S2) have no issues.

Do you still have wifi enabled on the router to which the Orbi is attached?  Have you tried linking your devices to that wifi?

What is the IP address range of the existing router and is it different from the IP address range of the Orbi?

As mentioned before, the IP address range of devices attached to my AT&T gateway are in the range 192.168 and the Orbi 10.0.

After attaching the Orbi to my AT&T gateway I then restarted the gateway, Orbi then automatically assigned the 10.0 range to the Orbi.

Message 16 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

https://youtu.be/eIR66mBkJD8

My Orbi is my router.  No other wifi in my house.  Here is a video of my android phone s7 Edge doing what I am saying.  Watch the wifi signal and you will see 4G LTE popping up every 5 sec.

Message 17 of 153
Streak2
Master

Who is your ISP and how do they get the signal into your home?

Have you tried a direct connection to the Orbi using an Ethernet cable from a computer just to see if the wifi is dropping or the incoming signal?

Have you tried downgrading to V1.4.0.16?

Message 18 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Suddenlink.  Through Cable. That is how my PC is directly connected to the ORBI.  No, I haven't downgraded as I had the same issue on 16 before I upgraded.

Message 19 of 153
Streak2
Master

OK got it.

What is the model number of the Suddenlik modem?

Have you tried running wifi analyzer, you can download it from the app store. It will give you a visual picture of what wifi signals are transmitting in your area and on what channels.

This to make sure that there are no signals that could be interfering. 

By default the Orbi sets it's 2.4Ghz channel to Auto and the 5Ghz channel to 48.

Let's see if we can get to the bottom of this.

Message 20 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I've actually used wifi analyzer and we do have other signals. The bands I'm using are ones that have the least interference from others actually.

The modem really has nothing to do with the issues here. It's an Arris cm820. I've set the 2.4 to 9 and since I only had I believe 3 or 4 channels to select from on the 5ghz I left it at 48.
Message 21 of 153
Streak2
Master

Try and set the secuirty option on Orbi to none and do a quick test.

In some instances WPA2-PSK [AES] have been known to cause problems, a long shot but give it a try.

Message 22 of 153
zupreme
Initiate

Has this issue been solved? Im having the same problem with my samsung galaxy s6.. I get dropped out from the wifi connection and then it reconnects right away...

Message 23 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

After Netgear support had me turn off Beamforming and back on, it seemed to resolve my issue.

Message 24 of 153
zupreme
Initiate

I'll try that later when I get home from work.

Thanks for the tip..

Message 25 of 153
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7