Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

Hi,

I uses a different SSID for my Linksys R7000 to ensure the Samsungs are connected to it....

Actually, I am still very puzzle with the whole Orbi problem with Samsung phone. Let me explain:

I have 2 apartments (let's called it TG and TM, short for my address here in Singapore).

I first bought the Orbi for my place in TM. It works wonderfully well, even my Samsung S8+ connected with no problem at all.

Then I bought another Orbi set for my place in TG. That's where and why I came into this forum. 😞 lol

If I want to do even more troubleshooting, I will bring my Orbi from TM to TG or vice-versa and see if the same problem exist. 

Message 101 of 153
zobisch
Guide

Where are the Netgear/Orbi Admins/Engineers? Why isn't there a support ticket and feedback on this issue and whether it's being worked?

I'n ready to chunk these things in the trash at this point. 

Message 102 of 153
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello zobisch

We are working on the disconnect issues and have a beta firmware with a lot of people testing it getting positive feedback about the beta fixing a lot of the disconnects.

DarrenM

Message 103 of 153
zonomo
Star

How do we get the beta Firmware?

Message 104 of 153
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

FWIW, I resolved my issue with the Samsung Note 4 by enabling TKIP + AES.

@zonomo wrote:

How do we get the beta Firmware?

Do not take this as gospel, but there was a moderator post over the weekend stating the Beta was closed.  Maybe @DarrenM can elaborate.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 105 of 153
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

we are still doing beta testing would like more users and hopefully get there feedback if the firmware helped. Send me a Pm with your name, email, and phone number and our support team will contact you with the beta firmware. Also can you tell me what devices you are seeing disconnects on? This beta is only for RBK50 units.

DarrenM

Message 106 of 153

Mine is a RBR40...... Updated with the latest firmware this morning seems to have solve the issue.

However notice that with 4 iPhones and 3 Samsung , iPhones always lock on with the 5ghzbwhile Samsung always goes to the 2.4ghz
Message 107 of 153
Wesb
Initiate

Follow up...issue seems resolved with the samsung devices. S8+ connecting and staying connected and continuing with internet available at 650Mbps today...may have been earlier but I checked it today. 👍 The new firmware 1.11.0.20...good job!

Message 108 of 153
Ewoodster
Tutor

Betreff: Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

I have bought the Orbi about 2 months ago and I am facing exactly the same issues. All of my devices seem to be working just fine, except for my Galaxy S7. It keeps connecting and disconnecting about every minute or so when it is connected to the main router. I have not tested it extensively enough when it is connected to the satellite.

My wife is also constantly complaining about "the bad internet connection" with her HTC One Mini 2, but her information is not sufficient enough to make any judgements.

Seing that this problems exist for more than half a year now is bit irritating. I really hope that the next firmware will solve the issue.

Message 109 of 153
Ewoodster
Tutor

@ Wesb: Are you participating in the beta test or has the new firmware already been released?

Message 110 of 153
zonomo
Star

HI Darren - I sent you a PM asking to join beta and you asked me to ping you with my info.  I did so on June 23rd but as of today, it's not in "Not Read Yet" status.  I know you're busy but I am dying over here and would love to get this solved.  Thank you.

Message 111 of 153
JMU1998
Luminary

Does anyone have any knowledge what all issues are being addressed in the current Beta?

Message 112 of 153
goldbondx
Apprentice

So, I contacted ORBI regarding my symptoms and the fact that NVIDIA Shield TV was barely usable, XBOX One was showing weak signal when less than 20 ft from satellite, Sammy S7 drop periodically.... All on 2nd floor near satelitte. I have taken steps such as disabling the 2.5 Ghz remote from NVIDIA and use BT for connection via my phone.  I have moved Satelitte around, adjusted the placement of XBOX.....etc...etc...etc.  The best part is I also have Arlo and the connection with it drops periodically with the satelitte app. 25 ft through outside wall.  I did not have any issues with these devices and my RT-N56U. The problem with it was range..I am convinced that the satellite simply does nothing if not jam up the weak signal from base. I don't think it is working correctly at all.  NETGEAR Support is convinced it is base. I am waiting for an RMA to come in today or tomorrow.  Support seemed pretty quick to call for the replacement. I will report back if anything changes at all.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 113 of 153
rhester72
Virtuoso

I don't know what your experience with Shield TV specifically has been, but the wifi on that thing is _AWFUL_...*terrible* latency (right next to an AP!) and poor bandwidth coupled with packet loss, regardless of who made the AP.  Hook it up to Ethernet and it's an entirely different experience - so I plugged it into my Satellite and it's worked like a charm.

Rodney

Message 114 of 153
goldbondx
Apprentice

Sorry but outside range, I had zero issue with my ASUS RT-N56U. Within range, worked perfectly. That is why I bought Orbi. I wanted range.

This doesn't explain the quick RMA conclusion after running through the other various appliance problems. (including drops/disconnects on Netgears own Arlo less than 25 ft away!)

Message 115 of 153
rhester72
Virtuoso

So your Shield TV latency wasn't all over the map with the RT-N56U?  Mine has been with Orbi, OnHub (TP-Link), and eero.  The nVidia forums have roundly called the Shield's (2015 model) wifi garbage consistently.  *shrugs*

Sorry for the O/T.

Rodney

Message 116 of 153
goldbondx
Apprentice

I had zero issues with drops as I said. In fact, I didn't even know about wifi issues until I installed the ORBI and started getting drops to the point of unusable....completely erratic.  I primarily use for Netflix and Amazon Prime. I tried game streaming only to demonstrate and that seemed fine.   Update on RMA: After my first box came in with what looked like vomit or snot all over the front of the base unit (clearly not cleaned during RMA process), my 2nd unit came in with the box that looked like it rolled down a hill or was used to get a Fedex truck out of the mud.  

Losing more respect for ORBI and NETGEAR brand...

Message 117 of 153
zonomo
Star

Does anyone have a good Network monitor they can recommend for the Andorid platform?   I just installed the latest firmware without drops (so far).  v1.11.0.20.  I Have the beta v12 but not installing unless I see a drop.  But Id like to monitor w an app.  Thanks for the recommendations.

Message 118 of 153
Streak2
Master

I use a few but Network Signal Info gives good information about channels and link speeds.

Message 119 of 153
goldbondx
Apprentice

So, I replaced the RMA'd base and here are the "interim" results:

1. XBOX ONE S upstairs (25 ft to satelitte)  - 4 bars where 2 previously. There was definitely an improvement here. I will try streaming after Shield test.

2. S7 in same room as XBOX ONE S - 4 bars

3. NVidia Shield - 4 bars. In every attempt at first power up, I had issues with connection to wifi.  The Shield was connected the second I booted this time. No delay or failure on refresh of live tiles.  I am going to stream a few movies off Netflix today to verify if holds.

I don't exactly know what the problem was with the base. But, I still think there was a communication problem with the satelitte to give such poor signal on the XBOX upstairs. Will continue testing...

Message 120 of 153
zonomo
Star

I think we *may* have a winner w firmware v1.11.  I just installed it with the intention of installing the beta v12 but since I've done this, I've had ZERO drops and excellent signal strenth.   If someone can tell me how to post a pic, I'll share the screen shot..  Its pretty interesting.  

Message 121 of 153
goldbondx
Apprentice

1 hour parallel streaming with XBOX One S (Amazon Prime) and NVidia Shield TV (Netflix)..no drops...that is a first. I was on 1.11 previously and that didn't help as late as last night. This was clearly a hardware issue for me. I will continue to monitor..

Message 122 of 153
mccx
Star

Everything was running fine with the last beta firmware, until it got updated to V1.11.0.20.   My android devices started to disconnect/reconnect every few minutes.

Is there a newer version of the beta firmware I can try?

Message 123 of 153
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Mccx

Yes there is a new beta if you received the first one contact support again they can get you the new one.

DarrenM

Message 124 of 153
zonomo
Star

False Alarm.  I though 1.11 fixed my issues but while watching Apple TV, it loses connection.  VERY annoying for the family to have to start and stop 3-4 times while watching a single movie.  This is maddening. 

Message 125 of 153
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7