Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

goldbondx
Apprentice

Final update..My issues definitely hardware. It is now the 3rd of July and all appliances connected upstairs or down are remaining connected and functioning as expected. Signals are strong. This includes my NVIDIA Shield TV which unlike previous, is connected flawlessly at startup and does not require constant wifi reconnections. 

Message 126 of 153
zonomo
Star

OK Peeps - peace out.  I finaly broke and returned it, I just couldn't take it anymore. I wanted it to work so bad and feel I went above and beyond but I was losing crediblity with my family.  I hope Netgear figures this out but likely I won't be back.  How's that saying go?  Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.  Take care all. 

Message 127 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

See ya.  I played the same game with Asus for almost 5 years, but in that case, it was with all devices.

Message 128 of 153
goldbondx
Apprentice

I am getting to the same point although cannot return. Pretty close to selling ORBI, Arlo and anything else NETGEAR after the past 2 weeks:

- After reporting how the eventual RMA (failed on that as well)  installed and fixed my regulary drops with NVIDIA Shield, mobile etc...The unit crapped out a week ago with extreme latency and inability to connect to 99% of IPs/URL's. No clue what happened. I had to eventually break down and reset which resolved. 

- Support is completely, utterly useless. I was panicking as had to do an online meeting. I had my support removed without notice because I was over 90 days and even though I had severe problems as indicated and 2 faulty RMA's that were embarrassing. Absolutely THE worst customer service I have seen in any company. They did eventually get back to me...TODAY! (a week later)

- Today, I noticed my Arlo not recording to cloud. Nothing on website..now back to diagnosing whether Arlo or ORBI or a combination as there seems to be latency on connecting to them.

It's pretty clear that NETGEAR is garbage. I have zero respect for the company and not adding to my Arlo camera collection anytime soon (or buying anything else)_.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 129 of 153
Streak2
Master

It really is a great pity that Netgear can't get to the bottom of these issues.

I still believe that it's environmental related ie. if I were to send you my perfectly working Orbi/Arlo setup and you were to send me yours, that your would work perfectly here and mine would give you grief there.

This is by no means and excuse but something that Netgear needs to dive into to find out why in certain installations these problems are occurring.

Were you sent some of the Orbi beta versions of the firmware to try out?

If not then I would ping @DarrenM to see if he can assist.

Message 130 of 153
HoboJones
Aspirant

One more for the list.  Brand new Orbi RBK50 + Satellite, updated to the latest firmware.   Running as router.

The good:

A room that was previously a deadspot now has solid, fast internet.  A PS4 connects and, for the first time anywhere in the house, maxes out the line and doesn't give me network error messages in games.  A laptop connects and inSSIDer shows a green connnection strength.  TV streams 1080P happily.  All solid, fast connections.

The bad:

Android phone.  LG.  In the same room.  Repeatedly drops connection.  "Internet unavailable with ORBI20".  "Authentication error", occasionally. All without moving the phone. 

I've tried:  assigning an IP, letting it select an IP, both types of DHCP available in the developer options, beamforming on/off, MUMIMO on/off, moving the satellite. None change anything.

The satellite signal is twice as strong as the base, so it shouldn't be an issue of choosing which to connect to.  

Literally just watched it, over 5 minutes, go from a "good" 5GHZ 351Mbps connection, slow down to a 13Mbps connection.  Disconnect.  Connects to 2.4.  Tells me "internet unavailable" and now "Avoided Poor Internet Connection".  Without moving it.  Turn the wifi off and back on, and connects fine.  Plus the laptop I'm typing on stays connected (5GHZ) and inSSIDer shows no change in signal.

Phone had no issue staying connected to the Asus router in place beforehand.  The signal just doesn't cover the house.

Message 131 of 153
OrbiPhilip
Luminary

Try enabling TKIP

@HoboJones wrote:

Android phone.  LG.  In the same room.  Repeatedly drops connection.  "Internet unavailable with ORBI20".  "Authentication error", occasionally. All without moving the phone. 

Message 132 of 153
HoboJones
Aspirant

But that will limit the speed to everything else to 54Mbps, which kind of defies the point of spending this much.  I can get that performance with a pair of £10 wifi extenders.

Message 133 of 153
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello HoboJones

Have you gone into the advanced wifi settings on the phone and turn off the feature that switches to your mobile network when it has low wifi or loss of wifi it could be a issue on the mesh network when it keeps dropping.

DarrenM

Message 134 of 153
HoboJones
Aspirant

Have never had that turned on.  And the signal strength is enough to stream 1080P, etc.   It's purely the android phones - 2 of them - on the network.  And they've never had an issue with the previous wifi.

This would appear to be an Orbi issue, given the number of similar comments/posts.

Message 135 of 153
Sangwich
Star

There are Cisco routers at work and I have no issues at work. My nighthawk works fine and my FIOS  router works fine. It's Orbi for sure. I believe it's the satellite. It was working fine then one day it started disconnecting. I've had my Orbi for about 2 months now.

Message 136 of 153
Sangwich
Star

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello HoboJones

Have you gone into the advanced wifi settings on the phone and turn off the feature that switches to your mobile network when it has low wifi or loss of wifi it could be a issue on the mesh network when it keeps dropping.

DarrenM

This didn't do anything but lose all my WiFi passwords for every place I visited. 

Message 137 of 153
Ewoodster
Tutor

Betreff: Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

So finally there is a firmware update that fixes the disconnect issues...for IOS devices. Not that I ever had any issue with any IOS device using my Orbi, but the way more apparent Android issue is left unfixed Smiley Frustrated

My patience is about to end. Finally Google WiFi is available in Europe as well. I will soon give it a try.

Message 138 of 153
jaredrummler
Aspirant

Hardware Version RBR40
Firmware Version V1.12.0.20
GUI Language Version V1.0.0.297

My Samsung Galaxy S8 running Android 7.0 disconnects frequently and quickly. I have been using my mobile network in my home ever since I purchased ORBI.

I have tried every suggestion in this thread with no luck. Is this an issue with Samsung or NETGEAR? Is there a beta available? Has anyone had any luck with another product (Google Wifi)?

Message 139 of 153
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello Jaredrummier

It was a issue with samsung and a patch from them has fixed the issue but not every ISP has pushed it out yet keep checking for a update on your phone.

DarrenM

Message 140 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DarrenM wrote:

Hello Jaredrummier

It was a issue with samsung and a patch from them has fixed the issue but not every ISP has pushed it out yet keep checking for a update on your phone.

DarrenM

Darren,

Why does the exact same problem affect Surface Pro (2017's), Surface Pro 3's, Amazon Echo's, Chromecasts and Samsung S7E's and S7's at the same exact moment the S8/S8+ experiences teh issue?

Message 141 of 153
HoboJones
Aspirant

Or LG.  Any suggestion it's Samsung only is nonsense.  

Message 142 of 153
jaredrummler
Aspirant

The excuse that some ISPs haven't pushed the update is false. As of today, the latest update from Verizon is NRD90M.G950USQU1AQG4. My device already has this update. I temporarily fixed the issue by creating a guest network and my device no longer disconnects.

When creating the guest network check "Allow guests to see each other and access my local network", change the "Guest Wireless Network Name" and enable security (so your neighbors don't use it and you can still control other devices connected to the network).

Message 143 of 153
rkleivel
Guide

I finally gave up and returned my ORBI and sattelite. Got the opportunity to test the AirTies 4920 for some weeks, with promising results. The disconnection issue is not completely gone, but greatly reduced and not any problem more. Found out that giving different SSIDs to 2.4 and 5GHz was best.
I ended up buying the AirTies (3 pack) and am very happy with them. Prefer stability over cutting edge speed 😉
For background on my system, testing and observations - please see my previous posts.
Good luck!
Message 144 of 153
OrbiUser86
Tutor

Same problem. S8 keeps dropping connection after 5 minutes on Wifi. Do not want to return it but Netgear leaves no option.

Message 145 of 153
Dustin278
Apprentice

@OrbiUser86 wrote:

Same problem. S8 keeps dropping connection after 5 minutes on Wifi. Do not want to return it but Netgear leaves no option.

The latest Verizon firmware fixed my S8 issues and may others! Just rolled out yesterday mid-day for me.. Make sure it is updated

Message 146 of 153
Dustin278
Apprentice

Go into  "Settings" on your phone then selected "System Update" towards the bottom..

Message 147 of 153
OrbiUser86
Tutor

I have the T-Mobile version. Not received any updates yet. What is your software version now?
Message 148 of 153
OrbiUser86
Tutor

I have the T-Mobile version. No updates yet. What is your software version?
Message 149 of 153
Dustin278
Apprentice

Hello

G950USQU1AQGL is the latest from Verizon

Message 150 of 153
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7