Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

Streak2
Master

Re: Android devices keep getting thrown off the Orbi WiFi

I have an S7 Edge and a Galaxy Tab S2.

No problems with either on two different Orbi systems.

The S7 now runs Android 7 but had no problems with Android 6 either.

For now I have beam forming and mimo set off, but worked just as well with them set on.

I also have 2.4ghz running at full power, some suggested reducing this could help with the issue.

So it seems that it's not a problem with every installation but a could be a combination of things in certain installations that cause the problem.

Message 51 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Mine had issues with the S7 Edge and LG V20, and iPhones.  After many things I gave up, and returned it.  

Message 52 of 153
Random12
Apprentice

Has anybody checked if this issue is resolved with the new firmware released yesterday?

Message 53 of 153
geekjimmy
Tutor

I just applied the FW... I'll let you know what I find.

Message 54 of 153
lekw310388
Star

I have the same issue, on both IOS and Android devices. Updated to the latest firmware doesn't seems to fix the problem. Still getting signal drop and reconnect every few minutes.
Message 55 of 153
StevenYago
Tutor

I've found that any device that has the dhcp assign the ip address in the .100 range keeps dropping the signal. Since I have applied fixed ip addresses to each device in my home the problem only appears when I come home and reconnect. Logging in fresh fixes it.
Message 56 of 153
TomMac
Guru

Just an observation re the Android devices,... Not exactly sure if new sw or changes made

Have a new S7 that was draining 30-40 % at night on standby with only wifi on, and IOS drop outs. I was more concerned with the IOS/Ipad issue as it stopped me from streaming without dropouts several times per hour.

Put in a trouble report and was sent a new debug version of sw just a bit newer than the latest version issued,  ( .12 debug ) .06 is current.

Been running the debug sw for a week now and no answers yet from techs after 2 sets of logs submitted.

Last night I turned off Beamforming and MU-MIMO to try a few others things that others post here... for the IOS problem ( not even thinking about the android as I got use to turning off wifi at night )

Last night charged phone to 100% at 9pm, this morning at 8 am ( I left the wifi on just to see changes if any ) and found the S7 sitting at 97%...WOW!

The draining of the battery on the phone has stopped with wifi on.  ( I was turning off the wifi and loosing 2% ) In both cases wifi on /wifi off the phone was in sleep mode with no apps runniing in background overnight

So, it appears that either the new SW or the disabling of Beamforming & MU-MIMO or both have solved my S7 wifi issue ( will turn the two back on tonight and retest to see if it's just the SW )

Sadly, still seeing the ipad drops now and then..but one issue fixed is better than none

Edit; as to dropout on the S7, unsure as I don't stream with it and haven't seen a drop out problem with normal wifi/internet usage ( only battery drain )

Message 57 of 153
196Shr
Guide

Okay so here is my story, I will make it straight and to the point. I called Netgear, they changed channels and a couple of other settings. Next day I called again, after 1 1/2 hours, mostly on hold, they replaced the router. Same s*ht different router, I call again, change the channels and miscellaneous other settings. Same thing. If I see that wifi network available one more time I think I will scream. They have been polite, am I nuts? I spent about $400.00 and it is so frustrating. I looked on Amazon, why isnt this issue in the reviews? I am really not trying to do anything special just move through my modest size house wile using my Vonage business voice over wifi phone.
They dont even acknowledge this is a big issue, maybe it is me, but I dont think so. I am ready to chalk it up to a foolish purchase and order one of the competitive products. Anybody have any advise or solutions?
Message 58 of 153
Streak2
Master

This is really strange.

There are a number of users who have this issue and many others who don't.

Nobody has seemed to be able to isolate the issue.

We are an Android/IOS family.

I have both the RBK50 and the RBK40 and no problems with either of them, even once I had all of them in play at the same time with two different IP ranges.

Both network worked and continue to work flawlessly on my S7 Edge and the families various versions of Iphones.

All settings are default. I know that some folks have spoken about reducing the output power on 2.4ghz making a difference.

I am running V1.9.1.12 with both beam forming and Mu-Mimo on.

If it makes a difference I have the Orbi on the 10.0.0.1 range which was automatically set once I connected it to my AT&T gateway which is set to the 192.168 range.

Message 59 of 153
196Shr
Guide

So I had it and bought the competitive brand that starts with an L. Here are the unscientific differences to a layman. The L works perfect, switches between zones flawlessly, no disconect and reconect, that was my issue with the Orbi. The speed on the L is much slower, I was getting the full 150 meg upload and download on the Orbi, the L is only about 100 mb each way-don't forget I said unscientific, this is running speedtest on my Note 4. Since I only use wifi for phone and tablet the 100mb is fast enough for my purpose. Too bad, the Orbi has so much promise. Really I spent too much time trying to get it to work, had I realized sooner I would have returned it.
Message 60 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Yes, we too have about 22 android devices if you cound our sprinkler controler fire tv and chromecasts.  Overall we have about 94 devices that connect to the Orbi's (2 sats, 1 router). We don't have the disconnect problem SAVE on a brand new S8+.

Message 61 of 153
bgstewar
Guide

I also gave up. My wife's S7 and mine constantly disconnected and I couldn't stand it anymore. Went with TP-Link, which has been slower but much more reliable. Too bad Netgear dropped the ball and hasn't addressed this issue at all, because it had a ton of potential.

Message 62 of 153
Streak2
Master

This is really a strange one.

I have installed 3 different Orbi systems comprising two different model in two different locations and used a bunch of different firmware versions.

No drop out at all on either IOS or Android devices. I have tested extensively on my S7 Edge and Tab S2 including streaming movies with not even a hiccup.

Then there are a bunch of users who have this continual dropout.

It appears to be environment/network related. If you send me the units that don't work in your environment I am confident that they would work in my environment.

I think the problem that Netgear has on their hands is that they are finding it hard to reproduce the problem in their labs.

Given this the solution is being a bit elusive!!

The system works really well, I have high speed whole house coverage for the first time.

Hopefully they get the kinks sorted out so that the rest of you can also enjoy the performance.

Message 63 of 153
marshymallow
Apprentice

For the benefit of everyone who is facing major WIFI disconnect issues (Whether on iOS or Android Devices).

I've been facing this issue from the beginning with much frustrations.

Currently I'm on the new Beta FW test and it's been looking good the whole of last night.

Not a single WIFI drop. I even asked the missus to observe this WIFI disconnect/connect situation.

She affirmed that it hasn't occured since the latest Beta FW.

It's a good sign so far.

Message 64 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Glad you are having good results with the beta. Are you able to watch your backhaul and see if you are having signal drops coming from the router? I'm trying to figure out if this issue is hardware or software related. Here are my 2.4 (pink) and 5 GHz (red) backhaul signals on the latest beta firmware. Devices sensisitive to quick disconnects like Wi-Fi cameras drop with it. Screenshot_2017-05-23-21-09-59-1.png

Message 65 of 153
marshymallow
Apprentice

@BobertSaget wrote:

Glad you are having good results with the beta. Are you able to watch your backhaul and see if you are having signal drops coming from the router? I'm trying to figure out if this issue is hardware or software related. Here are my 2.4 (pink) and 5 GHz (red) backhaul signals on the latest beta firmware. Devices sensisitive to quick disconnects like Wi-Fi cameras drop with it. Screenshot_2017-05-23-21-09-59-1.png

I don't think my backhaul was dropping last night as the missus ws watching Youtube the whole night from the TV (Which is LAN connected to the Satellite Unit). If backhaul had dropped the Youtube would have stopped and the missus would have howled! But she didn't. 

Message 66 of 153
rkleivel
Guide

I have the same problem with my setup: Orbi with 1 satelite, FW 1.10.1.2. In AP mode with IpFire as firewall, DHCP etc.

My observations so far:

• LG G5 keeps disconnecting / reconnecting with some seconds interval. Seems more prone to do so in certain areas of the house.
  • Disabling 5GHz and the problem is gone (or at least greatly reduced). But I want 5GHz enabled of course...

Will continue to research...

One question though: How to I get hold of the latest beta firmware? Apparently that has solved the problem for @marshymallow (?)

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 67 of 153
marshymallow
Apprentice

Some Updates on the new Beta.

Unfortunately I encountered the occasional wifi drops but it's not as frequent as before.
I was in the same room as the router and I observed that prior to wifi drop, my mobile device will show very erratic wifi signal strength. Upon wifi drop, it reconnects back almost immediately however.

Hence the new Beta is still not perfect yet.
Message 68 of 153
rkleivel
Guide

OK - thanks!

Could someone please update me on where I can get the beta? Would like to test it myself 🙂

Message 69 of 153
marshymallow
Apprentice

Raise escalation to Support or PM moderator DarrenM.
Message 70 of 153
zonomo
Star

I can't tell you how disappointed I am in this.  I wish I had found this thread prior to dropping $500 on a routher + 2 satellites.   For those that think this is a network provider issue or modem issue - it aint.  Prior to this purchase, I had a X6 Nighthawk with an externder.  Worked perfect 100% of the time (other than having to switch SSIDs in different places around the house, which is why I purchased the Orbi to begin with).   

I have a Galaxy S8+ that kept dropping my signal and I BLAMED SAMSUNG and returned my phone for a new one!   Now that I have my new phone, it drops all the time.   For those of us that have a "Smart Home" (with lights, sensors, etc), this problem wreaks havoc. 

I have read every post in this thread and tried everything suggested.   The bottom line is that this solution simply doesn't work.   For a test, I disconnected my 2 sattelites and am running on the router only.   Still dropping.

Having been a Linksys customer for years and years from the beginning, Netgear had to work hard to earn my business.  I will not be so quick in the future to consider Netgear products.   

Message 71 of 153
rkleivel
Guide

Sorry if this is like "swearing in the church" - but do anyone of you know if there are similar issues with the Linksys Velop?

I still have the opportunity to send back my Orbi getting back my money, so I consider switching instead of going the debugging path with Orbi...

Anyone?

Message 72 of 153
196Shr
Guide

If you can dump it! The Lynksys has none of these issues. Apparently everybody and thier brother is starting to makeing the mesh, this is expensive but not a lifetime purchase it certainly isnt the last router we will own- why deal with trying to get it to work if you can send it back? I waited too long and had to eat the cost, dont make the same mistake I did.
Message 73 of 153
zonomo
Star

"why deal with trying to get it to work if you can send it back?" - I couldn't agree more.  Unfortunately, I threw away my boxes just last week so I am stuck and my conscience won't allow me to just sell it on craigslist.  I have gone back to my old router and extender.  If I could swear in church over this, I would! 

Message 74 of 153
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I really wonder about the legitimacy of the Amazon reviews for the Orbi. I am sure sure plenty of the positive reviews are genuine because it seems like an excellent product at first when most people,write their reviews. For what it's worth, Fakespot.com gives the review quality a D due to automated reviewer accounts and reviewers giving 5 star reviews to multiple Netgear products in the same category. It just seems like discussions on forums all over the internet have a very different tone than the amazon reviews and other sites that have reviewed the product. Unrelated to Orbi, I hate that fake reviews are becoming such a thing these days which only hurts the consumer.
Message 75 of 153
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7