Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Android phones being redirected to Comcast device activation page...?

BlueSol
Follower

Android phones being redirected to Comcast device activation page...?

Hi all,

I'm having a strange issue with our phones (Galaxy S9 & S7) connected to our Orbi wifi.  Periodically, the phones connectivity drops, and the phone says the device needs to login.  When we click on that, it takes us to an Xfinity login portal for device activation (seemingly for our cable modem).  No other devices are getting this, though--all wired devices are working fine, and even the other wireless devices (Nest security system, Ring Pro doorbell) all seem to still have connectivity (which I've verified by connecting to them over the phone's 4G connection).

I spoke to Comcast's support, and they've sent an activation signal to the modem several times, which seems to clear up the issue... for maybe a day.  If I manually do the login portal process, that also clears it up... for maybe a day.  If I reset the Orbi system, that also clears it, but not for very long.  At this point, Comcast is saying the modem looks completely normal from their end, so they just pushed me off to contacting Arris.

We're obviously on Xfinity service, with an Arris SB6183 modem (in bridge mode), with the Orbi system behind that.  All of this was working perfectly well until recently when two things changed: we either upgraded the Orbi firmware to the latest 2.1.4.16, or we changed the modem from an Arris SB6141 to the 6183.  I've swapped the new modem with a replacement of the same model, but the behavior persists, so doesn't seem to be a one-off.  I still have our old SB6141, so I may just try putting that back into service and seeing what happens.

Curious to see what insight others may offer.

Thanks.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 1 of 2
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Android phones being redirected to Comcast device activation page...?

The 6141/6183 is not a modem/router, it's just a modem only thus no bridge mode on this modem. 

Try some of the following:

What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between them to begin with depending upon building materials.

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?
Try disabling the following and see:
MIMO, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7