Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Android phones losing wifi connection when switching between RBK50 and RBS50

Vanyel
Aspirant

Android phones losing wifi connection when switching between RBK50 and RBS50

Hi all,

Pretty much as described in the subject. My android phone, Sony Xperia XZ Premium with Android version 8.0.0, keeps dropping wifi connection when switching between the Orbi Router and Satellite.

When I test the connection using a normal Windows laptop however, i do not experience this dropped connection when switching.

I have upgraded my firmware to V2.1.3.4 but this issue still persists.

To add more context, my router is in AP mode, disabled Daisy-chain, enabled implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO.

Would appreciate if anyone can help shed some light on why i suddenly experience this issue after more than 3 months of stable wifi.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Android phones losing wifi connection when switching between RBK50 and RBS50

Did you do a factory reset after updating to v2.1.3.4. If not, please try this. 

Also is Fast Roaming feature seen on your model router? Some models don't have this feature...

If you don't have any MIMO devices, you can disable MIMO. 

@Vanyel wrote:

Hi all,

Pretty much as described in the subject. My android phone, Sony Xperia XZ Premium with Android version 8.0.0, keeps dropping wifi connection when switching between the Orbi Router and Satellite.

When I test the connection using a normal Windows laptop however, i do not experience this dropped connection when switching.

I have upgraded my firmware to V2.1.3.4 but this issue still persists.

To add more context, my router is in AP mode, disabled Daisy-chain, enabled implicit beamforming and MU-MIMO.

Would appreciate if anyone can help shed some light on why i suddenly experience this issue after more than 3 months of stable wifi.

Thanks.

Message 2 of 4
Vanyel
Aspirant

Re: Android phones losing wifi connection when switching between RBK50 and RBS50

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I have tested that the issue is indeed in the Android phone as my iPhone works fine. Suspect this must be somehow linked to Android oreo.
Message 3 of 4
Ulairi
Luminary

I’d also recommend a factory reset.  That fixed a speed problem for me.

However, it could be something different.  Although my RBK50 setup is rock solid, I have similar issues with a wall plug satellite. Per post #7 of this thread, I’m pretty sure it’s a hand-off problem between the router and the sat. 

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7