Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

lounge11
Guide

No acknowledgement of the disconnect issues! What's going on? 

While the issues you stated should be fixed they appear to be comestic. The disconnects are actually impacting core functionality of this product. No connectivity = useless WiFi.

I am still in the return window and if I don't hear something Orbi's will definitely be going back.

Message 76 of 180
dpaugro
Tutor

Came home tonight to one of my satellites showing a blue ring. C'est la vie.

Message 77 of 180
KMAnand
Guide

I will be contacting Costco soon to recommend them to stop stocking the Orbi. I will be pointing them to messages in this forum as evidence for Netgear's awful customer service.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 78 of 180
mccx
Star

My suggestion is if you can return it, do it while you can.   Otherwise you will be stuck like us, wasting time (a lot of time) troubleshooting.

It's extremely frustrating that netgear cannot get this straighten out.   I was in the middle of doing something very important and my internet disconnected yesterday.   This happens constantly throughout the day and I cannot get a stable connection.

Message 79 of 180
mjbach
Initiate

I am dismayed to read of all the problems with this device.  I just purchased one and it hasn't even arrived yet but I think I will return it.  I thought I was getting a reliable technology that would not be outdated soon but I am not sure if it's worth what you all have been going through.  I will stick with a different brand.

Message 80 of 180
spinkick
Apprentice

@AmitRcan you guys reproduce the issue where the router and bridges need to be rebooted from time to time, after throughput drops to 40-50 mbps ? 

I'm technical and willing to do some tests. the 2.1.12 firmware was slow all of the time. I'm dealing with 40 devices split among 1 router and 2 bridges using 5ghz backhaul.

I cant call support, they only have 90 days before they charge you 😞

Message 81 of 180
MnViking
Aspirant

I had initial success with 2.1.1.12 -once i got it hooked up and running it seemed stable - 2 sateliites hooked into the router over ethernet backhaul. 

But then I left town for work this week, and now the network is completely unusable. Yesterday I had the kids reset the router and satalites,  and it eventually came back, tonight that didn't even work. I see high CPU usage on the router (using OpenVPN to connect in remotely to debug) 92.1% right now with 21 min uptime ,which is insane. I try to ping any device at home, and it fails even from the router itself. Then suddenly some packets will work, and then it dies again. Its clear the devices are there (I can run an arp -a from telnet and see them) but for whatever reason the Router doesnt' want to forward my traffic. 

Guess when I get home I'll have to try putting 2.0.0.74 back and see if that will work daisy chained again, otherwise I'll be seeing if I can find a way to return this, and go with a system that works. I bought this to fix the wireless probems I had by running 3 different APs on differnent SIDs ,but now its just giving me a headache. Very dissapointed. 

Message 82 of 180
valdisj
Aspirant

Anybody happy at all running etgernet backhaul on 2.1?
Message 83 of 180
lounge11
Guide

I had it today. Working from home and repeated drops. Put in my old router which doesn't offer the coverage I need but connection is rock solid.

I decided to return for a refund since I am still in that window.

Am going to try an eero setup to get the whole home coverage I need.

Message 84 of 180
MrX911
Apprentice

@MnViking wrote:

I had initial success with 2.1.1.12 -once i got it hooked up and running it seemed stable - 2 sateliites hooked into the router over ethernet backhaul. 

But then I left town for work this week, and now the network is completely unusable. Yesterday I had the kids reset the router and satalites,  and it eventually came back, tonight that didn't even work. I see high CPU usage on the router (using OpenVPN to connect in remotely to debug) 92.1% right now with 21 min uptime ,which is insane. I try to ping any device at home, and it fails even from the router itself. Then suddenly some packets will work, and then it dies again. Its clear the devices are there (I can run an arp -a from telnet and see them) but for whatever reason the Router doesnt' want to forward my traffic. 

Guess when I get home I'll have to try putting 2.0.0.74 back and see if that will work daisy chained again, otherwise I'll be seeing if I can find a way to return this, and go with a system that works. I bought this to fix the wireless probems I had by running 3 different APs on differnent SIDs ,but now its just giving me a headache. Very dissapointed. 

Given up. Fed up of the kids and wife calling me at work saying they cant get on the internet. Purchased an Amplify HD. 24 hours and a happy family again.

Netgear, you should be embarrassed about this farce which seems to have no end in sight. Good luck everyone.  

Message 85 of 180
Oliverpool
Guide

You made the right decision!  I just bought a set of Velop yesterday and its so much faster. No issues in the past 2 days. Not a single drop while Orbi even at its best, orbi would still have at least a few internet drops each day. 

Hoping to sell one set of my RBK50 at half price. Then I will be replacing my other set next week if the velop last the week. Thats more then I can say in my experience from Orbi.

Anyone looking at Orbi, please run far far away. If you are within your return period, Please return it! Do no waste time on Orbi. you will regret wasting your time on Orbi!

Message 86 of 180
MnViking
Aspirant

Does anyone know if Costco requires me to have the box to return it? I am in the return window, but I know the packaging for my RBK50 is long been tossed out. 

Sounds like returning it and finding one that works is the way to go. 

Message 87 of 180
Hawk600
Star

As far as I know you will be able to return without the box as long as you have the recipt or they can find the purchase under your member card on their system.

Message 88 of 180
MnViking
Aspirant

Cool, thats what I thought. I have a picture of the receipt on my phone, so between that and my membership card I should be good. 

I can't take the instability anymore, and neither can the family - so its time for a permanent solution.

Message 89 of 180
Hawk600
Star

Wow!! I just purchased a AC3000 ysterday and did not even open the box and I shocked to see all these negative customer feedbacks and no one official response from Netgear adressing the issue and letting customers know what NG is doing to fix it!

It is unbeliavable to see NG selling a "high end" product like this at top dollar without basically no support!!  Besides the speed and disconnections issues, I see that is also no work in improving promised functions on mobile and PC apps.

Also 90 days only free support?? This is a joke!

Well back it goes, and I am glad I was lucky to find this issues before my returning window closed. Great job on losing customer Netgear!

Message 90 of 180
tagteam
Virtuoso

Hawk600 wrote:

...Well back it goes, and I am glad I was lucky to find this issues before my returning window closed...

I bought an Orbi system despite the reported issues. My presumption was that the volume of complaints, as is typical with this type of product, represented a relatively small percentage out of the tens of thousands of units sold.

Thus far, I have had zero issues with my Orbi system but I did, in fact, buy it from Costco in the event anything untoward happens down the road. Regardless, I did my research prior to purchasing the product, but then I actually finished high school so........

Message 91 of 180
bsholbrook
Apprentice

There are plenty of intelligent IT folks in this forum that are having issues. If you arent great we all hope that your success continues.

Snide remarks aren’t required mister graduate!
Message 92 of 180
tagteam
Virtuoso

bsholbrook wrote:
....Snide remarks aren’t required mister graduate!...
Ordinarily, I would wholeheartedly agree. However, when an individual fires off a post, on a board where users, prospective users, and who knows who else, post anonymously, slamming a product based solely upon issues reported by other users, I have a serious problem with that and I apologize.

Message 93 of 180
spinkick
Apprentice

To further take this off track, the user said that it was going back after all of the negative comments, they did not make any technical or above high school level assumptions in their post, other than remarking that 90 days of support is short for a product that is sold as high end for home use.

Just pointing this out in case the highschool reading comprehension doesn't go far enough to realize that.

I'm working with net gear level 2 support right now and I'll let everyone else know if we make progress. Hopefully my minimal experience in IT (20 years} will let me see this through.
Message 94 of 180
CattleDog
Aspirant

This latest firmware is HORRIBLE!! (2.1.1.12)

Nothing would self update.  I manually updated the router.  Neither satellilte would update and are stuck on 2.0.0.74.  Constant drop outs (not kidding).

Not a happy customer at all!!!  This is a top tier product that seems to have the quality control of a cheap garbage product!

Message 95 of 180
Hawk600
Star

Mr Graduate I do not care if you have high school or if you do your research prior the purchase, this is not what is being discussed here. Actually you should use your High School skills to better read the posts.

I not slamming the product, other users are, I stated I am returning it (because I can) and I was surprised by the number of complaints without a response/solution from NG as well as a poor and limited tech support. As far as posting anonimously, why aren't you using your real name? Good luck with your purchase.

Message 96 of 180
plemans
Guru

Netgear can't push out update weekly as there's to much to validate but I have been impressed with how much they do update and support their products from my end.
Message 97 of 180
lounge11
Guide

Yes, updates can't happen that quickly. But some of these problems should have been caught in QA before this was released to the public. I also work in IT and some releases should be pulled when there are enough reported issues. This might be one of those instances. Netgear can't replicate these issues?

Then there is no acknowledgement of some of the major issues being reported in the communities.

With all the avenues available to communicate with users nowadays there is no excuse for not providing some type of news or status.

Message 98 of 180
Blairw
Aspirant

I am baffled how to set up Ethernet backhaul. The Netgear page isn’t clear. I have Cat5 wired house that all home runs to a closet where the Orbi router is located. When I attempt to plug a satellite into a jack that connects to a 1 GB capsule switch connected to the Orbi Router, the satellite stops working. What am I missing!

Message 99 of 180
JoeM845
Luminary

I found this thread looking for answers to two questions:

1) Why was v 2.1.1.12 showing as available on the web site for a while, but not on the ORBI's check for updates. After reading this thread my question I think I know why. I will wait for a while.

2) Will v 2.1.1.12 finally isolate "guests" from the rest of the network? I opened a support case shortly after I bought the ORBIs and it got moved to engineering. No progress and Netgear has gone silent on the case. Does anyone have knowlege that Netgear is even still working on this?

Message 100 of 180
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7