Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

Stonewall07
Aspirant

I never had to reboot my system, until now Man Mad

Message 101 of 180
valdisj
Aspirant

Seems I cannot waste any more time and nerves with this solution. Sending ORBI back. I was not able to establish not stable wireless backhaul, nor ethernet backhaul, and router was often not able to get IP addresses from the main home router. This solution really is full with bugs. :(( I was so much hoping to use its advertised features, but this is just taking 2 hours every day to try to troubleshoot, reconfigure, restart and try and try and not succeeding. Enough. I'm sorry, but Netgear really screwed this up. And this is not ORBIOS 2.1 problem, this is a deeper whole system problem, since even before upgrading to 2.1 I had same issues :(( Very very sad. Do not recommend this solution to anybody.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 102 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

I know this shouldn't be the fix, but for those that tried tp upgrade to FW ver 2.1 and are having these connectivity issues, have you tried to roll back to v1.12.0.18, and if so, does it fix the stability?  I'm on v1.12.0.18 right now, and things have been running great. I wouldn't mind helping out with the testing of 2.1, but only if I know that rolling back to ver 1 will at least restore connectivity, if things get to bad.  

Otherwise, I'll just patiently wait here on 1.12.

Also, I see there is a version 2.0.0.74 out there.  Are there stability issues with that too?

Message 103 of 180
KMAnand
Guide

2.0.0.74 has terrible connectivity issues. 2.1.1.12 just made them worse. I hear the 1.x versions are fairly stable. However, I also hear that they have some major security bugs which were patched in the newer versions. I'd be rather concerned about using 1.x and leaving my home vulnerable to hacking.

Message 104 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

Looking through the release notes, it seems a number of them were patched in the last version of 1.12, except for the KRACK fix, which is in the latest 2.1.  Will likely wait it out a litle bit.  Still in my return period, so we'll see how things go.  See if Netgear steps up and akes ownership of the issues or not.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 105 of 180
dmw_2
Guide

Having had many of the troubles described by others when upgrading to 2.1 I decided to regress to 2.0.0.74 and now everything is reliable and stable once again.  I have been running on xx.74 since it was first released. So my current configuration having regressed is RBR50 (1) & RBS50 (2) at 2.0.0.74 and RBW30 at 2.0.0.34_1.0.21

Message 106 of 180
harshakavuri
Guide

New firmware 2.1.1.16 is released with fixes for no devices shown and high cpu usage in AP mode

I am one of the many having high cpu usage in router mode, is it fixed in only AP mode or both?
Message 107 of 180
dmw_2
Guide

I see that they are pushing out 2.1.1.16 as an automatic update

Message 108 of 180
dmw_2
Guide

Although they are now pushing out 2.1.1.16 automatically I have updated my router RBR50 and satellites RBS50 manually.  The issue of connected satellites not showing appears to have been resolved.  I also updated my RWB30 to 2.1.0.18_1.0.9 manually.  Everything seems to be quite stable and has been for a few hours now.  However, I decided to try the ethernet backhaul option between my router and one of the satellites ... everything came to a halt and devices failed to respond so I disconnected quickly and after each satelllite rebooted itself things again became stable.  Previously I was on 2.0.0.74 and personally I have never experienced the frequent disconnection issues described by others. 

Message 109 of 180
CattleDog
Aspirant

I applied 2.1.1.16 and it appears to have fixed the issues I was having (its been about 8 hours so far).

Message 110 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

Does it fix the intermittent network drops/loss of connectivity?
Message 111 of 180
webminster
Luminary

Doesn't appear to fix the display of attached devices as advertised... it showed up for 3 hours after the update, now is consistently empty on my satellite.  Am certain there are devices connected to the satellite.

Message 112 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

@CattleDog wrote:

I applied 2.1.1.16 and it appears to have fixed the issues I was having (its been about 8 hours so far).

Which issues were you having exactly, and what FW version did you upgrade from?

Message 113 of 180
CattleDog
Aspirant

@netgearguy wrote:
Does it fix the intermittent network drops/loss of connectivity?

It has for me.  Stable all day and great download speeds.  I have 300m/b service and was able to hit 297m/b over wirelss on my Mac.

Message 114 of 180
spinkick
Apprentice

Those that have speed back, did you have the speed issue where it would go away after a while? Did you guys do a hard factory reset with your update?

Message 115 of 180
CattleDog
Aspirant

@kmichalec wrote:

@CattleDog wrote:

Which issues were you having exactly, and what FW version did you upgrade from?

Loss of connectivity about once every hour or two.  Would typically last 5 to 10 minutes.  I have two satellites.  One disappeared (no longer seen as a connected satellite).  The other seemed ok, but suffered the same drop out issue (probably coming from the router).

I was fine and stable on 2.0.0.74 on all 3 devices (RBR50 and 2 RBS50).  I manually applied the 2.1.1.12 update to the router and it all went to hell.  The satellites would never take .12 manually.  After a few days, I rolled the router back to 2.0.0.74, but the issues remained.

I am now on 2.1.1.16 on all 3 devices, and everything is working as expected (I had to manually re-add the one satellite). 

Message 116 of 180
dpaugro
Tutor

Upgraded router to v2.1.1.16 as soon as I arrived home. Already observed more stability in the network with respect to handling both satellites. Will apprise. Thanks, Netgear!

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 117 of 180
BarryTreg
Apprentice

Upgraded to 2.1.1.16 and all is working very well now. 2.1.1.12 was stable for me as I got no device dropouts at all for days on end. But everything seemed to be conncected to the main router. 2.1.1.16 has fixed this up and devices now show up fine. 

Feeling quietly confident in this release now and how good would it have been to have started on this a couple of months back. THanks to the netgear engineers who no doubt were under the pump on this.

Message 118 of 180
rce3
Guide

Upgraded to 2.1.1.16.  No change in behavior:

-system stable and working in AP mode with ethernet backhaul

-all devices including satellites show as directly attached to router

-no listings in satellite section (I have 2 satellites)

-same behavior in multiple browsers with cleared caches and in the iOS app

-robert

Message 119 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@rce3 wrote:

-robert

Don't know if you updated properly - this updated fixed the display issue for me. You may want to try re-deploy the updates again. First satellites and then the router.

Make sure your satellites are working and not too close to the router, since if they are devices will prefer to attach to the router because that would be the best path.

Message 120 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

What I find strange is people are mentioning that the dropouts seemed to have stopped and connections stabilized (for the most part) with this upgrade, but the release notes make no mention of a fix for this (or even other misc “bug fixes”). It only specifically mentions the display fixes for router vs satellite. If they attempted to fix the stability, why not call it out to help put peoples minds at ease? Unless this was more than just a display issue, and in order to “fix” the display, they had to fix the cause of the connectivity issues? Weird. 

Message 121 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

I can guarantee there was no stability issue on mine on 2.1.1.12, I've been teleworking all day and there was not a single dropout or jutter which I would have easily noticed. 

2.1.1.16 has fixed the display issue for me, and stability remains. But then again, I have not had any stability issues since turning off UPNP many versions back.

Message 122 of 180
spinkick
Apprentice

Well, what could be happening is that the cpu was being crushed by whatever was also causing the connection page to not work. So, the more cpu tied up with a bug like that, the less it can handle connections and stability
Message 123 of 180
DaveHamilton
Guide

@rce3 wrote:

-robert

Same. I have one satellite with Ethernet backhaul, one with wireless. The wireless one shows up in the Satellites section, the Ethernet one never shows up there and only sometimes appears in the devices section. It does, however, work 100% of the time. My wireless satellite drops out regularly, and in this location never dropped out before 2.1. 

YMMV, of course.

Message 124 of 180
KGrue
Guide

Upgraded to 2.1.1.16 and at first devices closer to the satellite connected to it. Now they are all on the router Smiley Sad

Message 125 of 180
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7