Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

Helacious
Tutor

Do we know if it will be extended to the OrbiPros - especially the backhaul feature. 

Thanks

Model: SRS60| Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi Add-on Satellite
Message 126 of 180
rce3
Guide

Updated again, rebooted devices, resynced satellites.

Still seeing no change in behavior with 2.1.16.  

Note that I have not and am not seeing the stability issues that some othes are discussing, I only have and am seeing the problems with proper display of satellites and attached devices.  All devices including satellites are shown in the web UI as being directly connected to the router.  I have confirmed that I have devices connected to the satellites by visiting the satellite IP address and those devices are working normally, so I believe this is only a display issue.

-robert

Message 127 of 180
rce3
Guide

Interesting point raised by DavidHamilton.  He states in prior message that his wireless satellite shows up in the satellite section and his wired satellite shows up in attached device section.

Both of my satellites are wired and both show up in the attached device section.  In the past (before 2.1.12 with introduction of ethernet backhaul) they were connected wirelessly and showed up in satellite section.

Does this match what others are seeing?  Wireless satellites show up as satellites, wired satellites as attached devices?

If you reply to this, please also confirm whether you are running in router or in AP mode.

Thx.

-robert

Message 128 of 180
webminster
Luminary

There's more to this than just a "display issue," I'd surmise.  Based on .16 observations,

a) when I upgraded, the satellite display was plausible.  After a few hours, it emptied.  Even though I can tell clients are still connected.  Something is causing the satellite to fail to return any connection info in the Web UI AJAX call to populate the page.

b) On the router, I can see some devices it says are connected to the satellite.   But others it says are connected to the router, but are not.  And, vice versa.  And, some devices I know are connected, but are not listed.

If it is really a display issue, then the Orbi has a very bad one.  Otherwise, it isn't properly managing its statistics, and the Web UI (and the new 2.1 Android app as well) is useless for viewing system status.  The app is a little more useless, since it does not indicate satellite/router client connections.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 129 of 180
BarryTreg
Apprentice

LIke others, seems like after a few hours on 2.1.1.16 the display goes back to its old ways of not correctly showing whats where. router shows 3 devices on satellite, but satellite shows none. But on the upside, I tried ethernet backhaul again and this now shows up as a wired satellite rather than a connected device. 

Other than the display issue, everything else is stable.....

Message 130 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@BarryTreg wrote:

LIke others, seems like after a few hours on 2.1.1.16 the display goes back to its old ways of not correctly showing .....

Not my experience. Running .16 now for 20 hours and I am seeing devices in the list connected to satellites. Maybe all your devices are just too close to router which they should prefer.

Message 131 of 180
webminster
Luminary

@aaz wrote:

@BarryTreg wrote:

LIke others, seems like after a few hours on 2.1.1.16 the display goes back to its old ways of not correctly showing .....

Not my experience. Running .16 now for 20 hours and I am seeing devices in the list connected to satellites. Maybe all your devices are just too close to router which they should prefer.

No, in my case.   I can tell from my PC it is connected to the satellite, and that other devices are as well.   But the list on the satellite is empty.  Apparently you're luckier than some of us.   I personally used the Web UI to do the update and restart, not manual, FWIW.

Message 132 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@webminster wrote:

But the list on the satellite is empty.  Apparently you're luckier than some of us.   I personally used the Web UI to do the update and restart, not manual, FWIW.

There is no list on the satellite. The list you look at is on the router, and it should clearly state that devices are connecting to a satellite or the router. If you name your satellites different names, then you will see which satellite they are connected to.

Message 133 of 180
webminster
Luminary

Untrue.   Connect to the satellite in your browser and look at the "connected devices" menu item.  Yes, there is a list of attached devices on the router as well.   Some of us have also reported this list is not correct in the new firmware, for us, as well.

Message 134 of 180
Greyhawk68
Star

Okay has the new .16 update fixed the disconnect issues for the folks that were experiencing a lot?  And did it stay stable for a couple days?

I've moved to Eero, but I'd be willing to give Orbi one more shot if people say the disconnect issues are done.  I don't care at all about the GUI issues and seeing what is connected to what, I just need a stable internet connection.  If it's stable again, I can return the Eero and save myself the cash for the time being.  Having to shell out another $500 after already spending $650 on the Orbi hurt.

So major disconnect folks, any change?  Is there hope, or should I just stay with Eero?

Message 135 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@webminster wrote:

Untrue.   Connect to the satellite in your browser and look at the "connected devices" menu item.  Yes, there is a list of attached devices on the router as well.   Some of us have also reported this list is not correct in the new firmware, for us, as well.

I should have phrased that differently, there is a place for a list but nothing populating in there for me either. I think this is just a vestige of the software that is not really meant to be used. Most users will connect throught the router - and that is the way it should be. The router list should be accurate.

Are you reporting that your routers attached devices list is incomplete or not showing things correctly that are attached to satellites, because I can confirm that I had that issue on the 2.1.1.12 firmware but it has been fixed in 2.1.1.16.

Message 136 of 180
tagteam
Virtuoso

aaz wrote:
...there is a place for a list but nothing populating in there for me either...
It is populating for me on both of my Sats. However, after the firmware update, I had to power off, power on, and resync both Sats with the router before I was able to see a list of devices attached to each Sat.
Frankly, aaz is generally correct. There really isn't much useful information in a Sat's attached device list; I only have the IP address, MAC address, connection type, and the device names but the latter are displayed as "unknown".

Message 137 of 180
webminster
Luminary

Sorry if I misunderstood. Yes, the router list doesn't accurately show what's connected to router vs. satellite. I didn't install .12, but did the auto-update to .16.
Message 138 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@webminster wrote:
Sorry if I misunderstood. Yes, the router list doesn't accurately show what's connected to router vs. satellite. I didn't install .12, but did the auto-update to .16.

Since things obviously aren't working for you, would you mind trying re-update the devices manually? First the satellites and then router. Just wondering if something didn't happen during the update. I did re-install my .12 and then when I moved to .16 device list was fixed.

Message 139 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

@Greyhawk68 I haven't seen a consistent pattern of the new "16" FW fixing connection reliability issues. It had no positive affect in my case. 

Message 140 of 180
Smitty77
Initiate

LOL! New member, and just got my delivery from the Costco sell on the AC3000 yesterday. I LOL!, because I usually read up on software updates, before doing them. But, figured this was new out of the box, so went ahead and updated the router and satelites with the 16 version. During setup, also before researching, I went ahead and enabled Beamforming. After 'applying' this change, I could not get back into the ORBI Admin pages. Rebooted the Router only, and within 10 mins or so, I was able to get back into ORBI Admin. I use WiFi Explorer on my MacBook Air, and after looking over the local ares channel usages on the WiFi around our home, I tuned the channels, and Aplied. For good measure, I also again rebooted the Router (Not sure i needed to, but I did.). 

This was about 3:00PM yesterday, and so far both satelites (One probably just on the fringe, but still showing as 'Good'. Seeing 802.11AC  on the Router and Sattelite 1 (The closest one to the ORBI Router.) 63 and 67% signal strength indicated by WiFi Explorer. Can't see the 802.11AC of Sattelite 2, but the 802.11N 2.4 is showing 73-75% signal strength. (Satelite 2, is in a unit above our garage, about 130' away. The ORBI Router is next to the window in our Office, with a line of sight view of the garage unit. Satelite 2 is one wall path away from this line of sight to the Router. When in the garage unit, I'm able to see the Satelite 2 802.11AC with a 83% signal strength.

So I've just about hit 24 hours now with our AC3000 RBK53's. And no drops that I've noticed, and performance has been good via Speednet tests. 

LOL! again, as I read this thread on 16 release. all the way up to yesterday when... Suppose I'm lucky Costco oversold these during Xmass discounte price. If I'd setup with out the 16 release, suspect I'd have been a confused customer too:)! Will let things simmer, and see if over a few days of usage, I detect any noticeable slowdowns. 

I am interested in the ability to CAT5 connect my Satelite 1 unit, even though it is maybe 65' and one ceiling and two walls away from teh router - and is performing well. 

Will popin to this thread and monitor over the Holiday's and see what shakes out:)!

One day of usage, and good peformance, doing what it said it would do. Fingers crossed that Netgear stays on top of this higher priced item for it's customer base:)!

Best to all,

Smitty

Message 141 of 180
MikeDTuck
Aspirant

I can't believe how much this sucks! The RBR050 has rebooted today at least 5 times, 4 of them while I was on VOIP calls. I honestly can't believe how bad this is for how much it cost.

Message 142 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

@MikeDTuck wrote:

I can't believe how much this sucks! The RBR050 has rebooted today at least 5 times, 4 of them while I was on VOIP calls. I honestly can't believe how bad this is for how much it cost.

Which FW version are you running? And when did you start experiencing issues? More details please. 

Message 143 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Are you sure it rebooted? Or maybe just dropped connection? 

What do logs say - have you turned on logging?

@MikeDTuck wrote:

Message 144 of 180
MikeDTuck
Aspirant

Running V2.1.1.16 which I manually installed, first on the Satelite then on the Router.

Thought it was originally lost connections until I started checking the uptime from the debug page. I also changed the orientation of the router so I can see the top a bit better from where I work. Sure enough, each time I would find the lights on the top blinking white until the reboot finishes and the debug page would show the uptime has restarted at 0.

Basic Infomation
 	CPU Load	36.9077%
        Memory Usage(Used/Total)	185MB/495MB
        Flash Usage(Used/Total)	32MB/4GB
        Network Session(Active/Total)	1223/65536
        System Uptime	04:04:24
Message 145 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

So I was thinking my units were just dropping signal. 

If the router LED on top is flashing white does that mean it is rebooting?  That's what mine was doing when I checked when the network disappeared.  (The satellite would turn purple while this is going on.) 

Thanks. 

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 146 of 180
tagteam
Virtuoso

netgearguy wrote:

...If the router LED on top is flashing white does that mean it is rebooting?...

Yes, that is what the flashing white LED means (either rebooting or the SYNC button was pressed).

Message 147 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

Thanks, @tagteam - I guess what I thought were repeated network drops were really repeated router reboots, as others have experienced.  

Message 148 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

This is a HUGE issue if this is what’s really been happening. Anyone from Netgear on here who can comment?
Message 149 of 180
wooties
Star

V2.1.1.16 with repeated reboots all morning. Probably 8-10 within 2 hours. I notice less reboots when i turn circle off, but i still get reboots with it off.. not sure if that's anectdotal or important. .. frustrating.

Message 150 of 180
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7