Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

kmichalec
Apprentice

Are you noticing high CPU utilization as well? Wondering if the CPU utilization is increasing higher and higher, and maybe triggering some type of safety reboot or something? Or maybe just crashing the device from the CPU maxing out? Just a theory...
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 151 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

Where/how do you monitor CPU usage on the router?

Model: RBK30| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 152 of 180
webminster
Luminary

Use https://x.x.x.x/debug.htm, where x.x.x.x is the IP of your router or satellite.

Message 153 of 180
webminster
Luminary

Tried this today for fun.  No nvram or factory reset, just redeployed the .16 update to satellite and router and restarted.   Looked fine for about 3 hours, then the connection list on the satellite disappeared.  The router attached devices list shows connections to the satellite, and the satellite "status" indicates connections to 2.4 and 5 ghz.   So still messed up from that regard.

-Alan

@aaz wrote:

@webminster wrote:
Sorry if I misunderstood. Yes, the router list doesn't accurately show what's connected to router vs. satellite. I didn't install .12, but did the auto-update to .16.

Since things obviously aren't working for you, would you mind trying re-update the devices manually? First the satellites and then router. Just wondering if something didn't happen during the update. I did re-install my .12 and then when I moved to .16 device list was fixed.

Message 154 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

Nice! Never used this before...CPU load 6.5%. 

Uptime 2 hours 31, which matches back to the last time I rebooted it to change the SSID and some other settings. 

Message 155 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

And then crash again...

2 hours 45 minutes uptime and then router rebooted spontaneously.  So back to the same behavior.  Sad...

Message 156 of 180
wooties
Star

I've only rebooted once since turning off Circle on .16 

Message 157 of 180
dpaugro
Tutor

Bounced Circle just a few minutes ago after I couldn't reach the internet. All is back to normal. I'm on v2.1.1.16.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 158 of 180
kmichalec
Apprentice

Do you have logging turned on in the debug settings? What is it saying before the crash?
Message 159 of 180
Stonewall07
Aspirant

I had never used this either.  So being a noob to this and looking at the System Uptime, I have been out of the house for 3 hours.  Would this mean that the router rebooted 1:22 minutes ago?

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 160 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

@Stonewall07 wrote:

I had never used this either.  So being a noob to this and looking at the System Uptime, I have been out of the house for 3 hours.  Would this mean that the router rebooted 1:22 minutes ago?

Your numbers didn't come through, but yes, if you show 1:22 minutes up-time, that would mean that the system restarted 1 hour and 22 minutes ago, while you were away. 

Frankly, I suspect a lot of people who believe they have "no problems" are just missing the moments when their system reboots, if they aren't home, or aren't using Wi-Fi/network when it happens. It's easy to miss unless you are looking at the router or satellites while the reboot is happening, as you're only offline for a few minutes. Only way to be sure is look at the up-time info. 

Message 161 of 180
netgearguy
Apprentice

@kmichalec wrote:
Do you have logging turned on in the debug settings? What is it saying before the crash?

No, I forgot to turn on logging in debug, unfortunately. 

I've taken down the Orbi and am using my Eero system right now as family demanded I stop "playing around and breaking the network."  🙂  😮  

The next time I have some time to try the Orbi again (either late at night or early AM when they are asleep) I'll enable the logging so I can see what preceeds the reboots. 

Message 162 of 180
KGrue
Guide

And now, none of my devices show as connected to the satellite, just the router. What a joke!

Message 163 of 180
JMU1998
Luminary

Yes many are seeing all the satellite show devices or are all connected to main router and list is incorrect not sure what Netgear is doing to address this issue.

Message 164 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@KGrue wrote:

And now, none of my devices show as connected to the satellite, just the router. What a joke!

This is a known issue, but it's display only - assuming you are on firmware 2.1.1.16 - you should see some devices in the router as connected to your satellites - otherwise your firmware is probably not installed correctly and your satellites are not accepting connections. I would try to re-install the firmware in your case - follow the normal instructions - download both router and satellite firmware, unzip it and then install it onto satellites first - one by one - then on the router after the satellites come back (light on top goes solid blue and then out.)

See what lights mean here https://kb.netgear.com/31030/What-do-the-LEDs-on-my-Orbi-mean

Netgear are working on the not all devices are displayed issue and that will be fixed in the next firmware - but otherwise I am find 2.1.1.16 very solid. Uptime now for me is 4 days and 16 hours.

Message 165 of 180
wooties
Star

Whatever I had with. 16 it's fine now. I found it rebooting randomly, disabled circle ran a few days.. Re enabled it and no random reboots now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Message 166 of 180
Blairw
Aspirant

Message 167 of 180
coolva
Aspirant

We have 2 Pixel XL phones and we had no issues with reboots when we had the Orbi system... Also the Linksys Velop has been working flawlessly. Both phones have been on Oreo 8.1.
Message 168 of 180
dpaugro
Tutor

Since the 2.1.1.16 update, I have been forced to restart Circle a few times to make internet connectivity work again. I have not restarted router or satellites in these circumstances.

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 169 of 180
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

We have a new beta firmware with fixes for the 2.1.1.16 firmware you can find the download here.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/OrbiOS-2-1-1/m-p/1476960#M19962

DarrenM

Message 170 of 180
Tgterm
Guide

@DarrenM wrote:

We have a new beta firmware with fixes for the 2.1.1.16 firmware you can find the download here.

DarrenM

Darren...just to clarify...this new beta firmware fixes stability issues in 2.1.1.16?  I.e., this should be installed if we already have 2.1.1.16 installed, correct?

thanks.

Message 171 of 180
MrX911
Apprentice

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

Anyone brave enough to go first!

Message 172 of 180
martyfp
Luminary

@MrX911 wrote:

I'm going to give it a go - after all .... what could possibly go wrong ?  Smiley Tongue

Message 173 of 180
mkenny28
Apprentice

@MrX911 wrote:

@DarrenM wrote:

DarrenM

I just updated my router and all satellites to the beta. So far so good but I am going to run it through its paces to see if I get any more random disconnects and reboots.

Message 174 of 180
dmw_2
Guide

Having been a very early adopter of 2.1.1.16 and experiencing a lot of wifi disconnections I decided to wait a day or so before upgrading to the beta software.  Just over 24 hours ago I upgraded as follows RBR50 to 2.1.2.10, RBS50 (2) to 2.1.2.10 and RBW30 (1) to 2.1.2.2.  Everything seemed rock solid so I decided to try the ethernet backhaul to one of my RBS50 satellites.  Within moments of plugging an ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports of the satellite and the other end into a remote switch located near the satellite the network just went into a cycle of crashing, coming back up, crashing etc.  I have a number of IP cameras both on the LAN and remote (on iSPY) and they were streaming video, then disconnected, coming back and then disconnecting again.  I waited 15 minutes to see if things would settle down but then gave up and disconnected the ethernet cable.  After about 5 minutes and a power cycle of the RBR50 things returned to normal.  I see from this thread that others seem to be using ethernet backhaul without any issues.  I haven't found any instructions saying there is some particular way to connect the RBS50 to the RBR50 via the LAN so can anyone shed any light on what I am doing wrong?  

Message 175 of 180
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7