Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

AmitR
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

I posted this on a different thread, but copy & pasting it here for more visibility.

Let me give you a quick update on where NETGEAR is with the OrbiOS.  

Just before Christmas break, we paused the distribution of OrbiOS 2.1.  Very soon, we're about to restart the distribution of a slightly updated version of the beta (2.1.2).  In addition to the major new features introduced in 2.1 (e.g. Circle, Ethernet Backhaul), this firmware is expected to address the high CPU issue, as well as the special character in PSK issue as well as support for the Outdoor Orbi.  Check Release Notes for complete list.  

We are continuing to work on the issues with Google devices that have been documented in the press (several users have provided links here).  

My recommendation is that you should either use the Orbi Mobile App (if you haven't seen it recently, check it out, we've made some major improvements) or the Web UI to check for new firmware or wait until your system gets auto-upgraded.  

Link to RBK50 firmware & Rel Notes:  https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18 

Orbi Product Management

Message 1 of 121
MrX911
Apprentice

Updated.  3 reboots within the first 2 hours

Message 2 of 121
bmcguirk
Initiate

Where do you go to check whether the router or satellites have rebooted? Or check CPU utilization?

Ever since installing 2.1.1 .12 and 2.1.1.16 I had been experiencing WiFi dropouts. (Laptops falling off WiFi, mobile phones that rely on WiFi for calling dropping calls, FaceTime calls having multiple pauses/poor connection messages) multiple times per day. Seemed more like wireless radios on Router or Satellites toggling off and on rather than rebooting. Seeing the indication that CPU being high makes me wonder if that was the cause of the Devices falling off the WiFi for a few moments.

I installed 2.1.2.18 two hours ago and so far things have been stable. FaceTime calls are much better. Time will tell.
Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 3 of 121
guzzijason
Apprentice

You can get uptime and utilization for the router or satellites by going to:

https://[router-or-sat-ip-address]/debug.htm

Message 4 of 121

Took update now nothing will work tried several reboots and nothing . How can I roll back to stable release?
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 5 of 121
tagteam
Virtuoso

You simply download the previous release (of your choice) and then do a manual update, ensuring you update the satellite(s) first. However, unless you disable auto-updates as set forth in the thread below (Message #105), you will ultimately be updated to the current release.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Firmware-V1-12-0-18-Discussion/td-p/1320421/page/5

Message 6 of 121
BigRedZ06
Initiate

This company’s poor QA controls are causing a terrible customer experience and they don’t seem to care to fix it. For months customers have been reporting issues with constant drops and having to rest and the issues are yet to be fixed. They are more interested in adding Circle than repairing this persistent issue. Never again will I buy another Netgeat product and will let my friends also know to avoid them.

Netgear, look into your product and QA teams and address the quality issues you have of not addressing real issues impacting your customers, before you worry about adding new functionality.
Message 7 of 121
xanderwong
Tutor

Netgear what on earth is happening with the latest update? We can no longer access the internet! The router is in constant red hue now! Even after power cycle it won't re-establish internet connection. Why bother sending out and update and break all of our routers? When things are performing so well.

Running on PPPoE, no way to reestablish Internet at all. This is ridiculous! Check the thread of complaints, get your act together. We didn't pay a premium for **bleep**ty QA and software testing!

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 8 of 121
Dustin278
Apprentice

@xanderwong wrote:

Netgear what on earth is happening with the latest update? We can no longer access the internet! The router is in constant red hue now! Even after power cycle it won't re-establish internet connection. Why bother sending out and update and break all of our routers? When things are performing so well.

Running on PPPoE, no way to reestablish Internet at all. This is ridiculous! Check the thread of complaints, get your act together. We didn't pay a premium for **bleep**ty QA and software testing!

Try and restart your modem - works everytime for me

Message 9 of 121
Dustin278
Apprentice

FYI - I have been up and running for 12+ hours on the 2.1.2.18 without problems coming from 2.1.1.16 without any problems..

Message 10 of 121
DScone
Star

Running solid for me so far on the latest update!

Message 11 of 121
Hydro130
Luminary

@Dustin278 wrote:

FYI - I have been up and running for 12+ hours on the 2.1.2.18 without problems coming from 2.1.1.16 without any problems..

Same here - working like a champ so far!

Message 12 of 121
ALNJ2017
Star

.18 release bricked my RBR. This makes me very popular with my family!

Lost connectivity 2-4x a day on prior release. Netgear get real!

Model: RBK53| Orbi Router + 2 Satellites Orbi WiFi System
Message 13 of 121
timch
Luminary

Works perfectly for me too.

Message 14 of 121
ktd
Apprentice
Apprentice

2.1.2.10 worked really good for more than a week and so far 2.1.2.18 is working just as good. 

I think we finally are heading in the right direction now.

One RBR50, two RBS50 and no Android devices.

Message 15 of 121
tkshaffer
Guide

The beta that was out has been very stable for me and this release has been equally solid so far.  Hopefully we are back to the stability I experienced throughout my Orbi ownership outside of the December nightmare.

Message 16 of 121

update: I rebooted the router and satellite with  2.1.2.18 this morning. knock on wood, everything is now running fine now. Hope it stays that way. 

Message 17 of 121
Ely
Luminary
Luminary

Mine updated automatically, however the satellite did not update and it stayed on the older firmware, I had to re-install the older one on the router again, then manually update the Sat first and then the router, so far so good for the last few hours.

Message 18 of 121
sambiller
Aspirant

I just updated to V2.1.2.18. I hope this fixes the fact that V2.1.2.10 crashed and rebooted on me this morning. 

Message 19 of 121
Retired_Member
Not applicable

I'm actually wondering what is considered to be 'high' CPU usage? My router is somewhere between 2% and 7% which given the load looks totally fine to me. The sat is hovering between 15% and 33% with only a printer attached that is actually in sleep mode and a good backhaul connection. Are those normal percentages? I not worried at all - my Orbi system has been running fine since I first got it roughly a year ago - but am just curious.

Message 20 of 121
4boys
Guide

Updated to 2.1.2.18 on Wednesday and have been running without issues. Can't comment about Android devices but I have 24 devices (including August products) attached to my RB50 setup with 2 satellites. 

Message 21 of 121
vcdx71
Star

Everything solid here. No google/android devices (excpet my wired samsung tv). ~90 devices depending on who's home. RBR50 router, 2 RBS50's and 1 RBW30 satelites. 

2.1.2.10 and now .18 have been the best FW for me since I purchased back in November!

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 22 of 121
timch
Luminary

Just checked my system. The router CPU is 7% and the satellite is 11%. The system has been up for 2 days and 12 hours ever since I updated to .18 and appears to be rock solid. I am running the Orbi in AP mode and have a mixed environment of apple, Samsung, google Chromecast, Nest, Sonos and echo dots.

whilst I recognise that some people are clearly having difficulties, my system has worked perfectly now for months and I’m actually impressed so far with Netgear’s responsiveness both on here and with regular updates. 

As as I would like another system for my parents, I have been checking eBay but no sign of a mass exodus so my conclusion is that the problems reflected here are not as widespread as reading the posts might imply; of course doesn’t make it any less frustrating for those who are having difficulties.

Message 23 of 121
BobDuke
Apprentice

2.1.1.16 was working well for several weeks, with known cosmetic issues. 

2.1.2.18 was installed using the Update All button without any issues. 

All has been well in Orbi land for the last couple of days. 

I know it's not critical, but I do enjoy seeing which Orbi each device is connected to.  Just wish we could sort the list of devices as we can in the Orbi app.

Two floors x 1200 square foot house.   Orbi at opposite corners of house,  one on each floor. 

Devices:  Windows 7, Android, Roku, WDTV, Samsung Smart TV.

Message 24 of 121
yaggermr
Guide

Getting constant network loss. Now I also lose my Lan connection as well as WIFI. Guess I am rolling back to 2.0.0.74. Getting close to bagging this Router. It's just way to unstable.

Message 25 of 121
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7