Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

webminster
Luminary

Despite having gone through the telnet autoupdate-disable instructions carefully back on 2.0.0.76 a while back, my router and satellite auto-updated overnight to 2.1.2.18.   My LG TV did not connect on power-on this morning, which I saw happen often on 2.1.2.10 as well.  Never that problem with 2.0.x.

Will be testing for the apparent packet loss issue I've had previously with 2.1.x later today.

I really hate that I can't reliably control if the box updates.   I really want to like this, but a device that refuses any role for the user to manage the device realy doesn't have a place in my home...

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 26 of 121
tagteam
Virtuoso

Message 27 of 121
webminster
Luminary

Yeah, I +1'd that a while back.  Wish a lot more people would too.

Message 28 of 121
tagteam
Virtuoso

webminster wrote:

Yeah, I +1'd that a while back.  Wish a lot more people would too.

Good! 🙂

Funny that so many owners seem to have the time to make multiple posts on this board with a complaint, but then can't be bothered to vote up a suggestion to have the same thing they are complaining about implemented.

Message 29 of 121
sleepr88
Apprentice

I didn't know about the Idea Exchange until I came across this post

Message 30 of 121
Eveline
Aspirant

Hello, I have one satellite that updated to new firmware and one that did not...what can I do? Thanks
Message 31 of 121
LHZ
Guide
Guide

Is it just me or has AC and N mode somewhow being disabled after this upgrade to V2.1.2.18? 

I get horrible throughput with speedtest.net from any orbi connected device. eg. 13Mb/s.

When I look in "inSSIDer" app - it  shows Max Rate of 54Mbs.

If I test from the orbi itself I get the expected 115Mb/s.

Any ideas? I made no changes other than firmware upgrade.

Message 32 of 121
guzzijason
Apprentice

@LHZ wrote:

Is it just me or has AC and N mode somewhow being disabled after this upgrade to V2.1.2.18? 

AC is working fine for me on V2.1.2.18.
One thing to check: make sure you have WMM still enabled in Advanced WiFi settings. Disabling WMM will automatically disable support for AC/N modes.

Message 33 of 121
LHZ
Guide
Guide

thx for quick reply - that was indeed the case. enabled WMM and back to AC/N. weird that it was working for me before.
Message 34 of 121
mgdurand1
Luminary

Ditto.  Rock solid for 2 days straight.  

Message 35 of 121
sleepr88
Apprentice

Netgear, since you can't seem to fix the Orbi, are you going to start issuing refunds? or exchanging everyone to Orbi Pros (which doesn't appear to have these problems, because you value business customers over regular consumers?)?

Message 36 of 121
Alex_07
Guide

Very stable for me, all wifi options checked. The only issue i have with the last firmware is i can't see connected devices

Message 37 of 121
Taptkeg
Tutor

I am running firmware 2.1.2.18 and am still having wifi disconnects during the day.  It's frustrating.  Streaming services stop and my devices ask for passwords each time they're disconnected.  Is this something still being worked on for another firmware update?  Is there a place I can share my logs to see if there's another issue that can be corrected?

Message 38 of 121
Trailerman
Guide

I'm getting constant loss of internet on Orbi connections ATM.  Seems totally random - fine for a couple of hours, then bang, no internet on any of our units (I have router + 3 satellites) for upwards of an hour, then back to normal and so on ad nauseam.

This is becoming a real problem.   Do I send this back, is this a known issue, does it need a new firmware update - any concensus on what the problem/solution is?

Message 39 of 121
Trailerman
Guide

Just tried to contact Netgear, but my 90 days free support (what a joke) expired about a week ago, so no way to seek recourse via the manufacturer.  Not good Netgear.

Message 40 of 121
timch
Luminary

5 days on v2.1.2.18 now and rock solid. Wide range of wireless connections including android and chromecasts, echos, Sonos, Nest and apples.
Message 41 of 121
fitsnugly
Star

Still having the occasional reboot (about once a day)... Sometimes it happens when I'm alseep or even when I'm at work, based off the uptime on the debug page.  Witnessed the reboot twice this past weekend while I was actually there and using the network, once while watching Netflix on my Apple TV, once while playing on my Xbox One.  Sending debug logs to support every chance I get, but still something in my environment giving the Orbi headaches (although the tech support person who logged into my setup and saw my connected devices did not say anything was unusual).

Message 42 of 121
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

@Trailerman

I have sent your issue to support and our support team would like to work with you. They should contact you soon.

DarrenM

Message 43 of 121
OrbiDemigod
Apprentice

Initially when I bought this router in June 2017, it worked flawlessly for the next 4-5 months without any issues. I praised this router as the best I ever owned.

Fast forward to a month or two ago, firmware updated automatically and the router started crashing once or twice a day for no reason.

Now since last month this router has been crashing 5-10x a day.

How do you guys release firmware that can't even make this router function as a router, it's sole purpose??????????????????

But then add a feature (Disney Circle) that most of us could care less about, that probably is part of the problem.

Is it that hard to release a solid stable firmware that makes our router start working again?

Is it really that hard?
Message 44 of 121
Trailerman
Guide

@DarrrenM

Thanks for the message.  I'm afraid I arranged a return to Amazon yesterday, after internet dropped out for the nth time that day.

Really wanted Orbi to work, but systems like this have to be reliable, and in our case it just wasn't.   Also, I'm afraid I don't believe in restricting free support when there are issues.   I've ordered a different brand (which I won't name here unleass asked to) that offers a 3 year warranty and 3 years free tech support.

Kind regards.

Message 45 of 121
linkwrt
Guide

Just installed here in europe.

No issue until now.

Wireless/ LAN voip /netflix is working.

Message 46 of 121
KBeatty
Tutor

The original 2.1 firmware update, the one they paused just prior to Christmas was an absolute disaster for me. It bricked my satellite, and no amount of factory resets or firmware rollbacks would fix it so it would connect to the router.

2.1.2.18 has finally fixed the satellite, and both it and the router have run great since applying it. I'll not forgive Netgear for a month of issues, but I'm happy all is well again finally. 

Message 47 of 121
psrtx1
Star

2.1.2.18 is better then the previous beta but still not fully stable.

1. Wired Backhaul does not work well (main reason I got ORBI over other brands)
    1. Connecting Ethernet cable to Satalite will make the router reboot. The router does come back up and after 5 minutes or so the system is somewhat stable.
    2. The ping times to router increase significantly with wired backhaul (no idea why)
    3. Router will randomly stop responding to pings and then start responding again
    4. The router CPU usage is higher (over 30%)
    5. Wifi SSID will randomly disapear
  2. Without wired backhaul, system is stable but
    1. Phone will preidicaly loose wifi (suprisingly windows PC's don't)
    2. Can't find any logic to why or when a phone or tablet will loose wifi connection (but the one next to it may still be connected)
    3. Stable (no reboots) otherwise

Netgear support: Can we expect another update that addresses these issue, or should we move on?

Message 48 of 121
Odok
Aspirant

My RBR50 satellite has become totally unusable upgrading (automatically, not through choice) to the new firmware.

I had a somewhat stable setup in the 2.0.0.74 firmware. “Only” having to reboot 1-2 times a week. Now the satellite is requiring hourly reboots so I’ve had to switch it off.

This system is terrible!
No Google hardware on the LAN/WAN.
Very disappointed and am sharing my displeasure with friends & acquaintances.

Please fix this ASAP!!
Message 49 of 121
linkwrt
Guide

I have RBK50 kit for EU.

So RBR50 router is ok, no issue, but when i connect RBS50 using Europe country i have issue with 2.4Ghz /5Ghz.

What it did to fix satellite:

- i set RBR50 (router) to United States

- i set 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels to AUTO

- i checked Enable Daisy-Chain Topology

- i enabled BEAMFORMING

- i enabled MU-MIMO

- Fast-Roaming can be enabled or disabled as you wish.

- i did a reset to default factory satellite, then after reboot it connected automatically to RBR50 router.

What i saw:
- if satellite is close to router , it select 5Ghz
- if satellite is in same room but not near router, it select 2.4Ghz
- if satellite is in other room, it select 5Ghz , after i did previously steps.

What we need from netgear team is to let user separate 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz SSID and also a option where user can select bandwith between satellite and router:
for example Auto will select 2.4ghz if signal is lower than 5Ghz, 2.4ghz if user want 2.4ghz and 5ghz if user want 5ghz.

I get using satellite connected to router using wireless, then lan on satellite almost 700-800mbps on speedtest.

Message 50 of 121
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7