Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

timch
Luminary

Up 10 days now on 2.1.2.18, still rock solid.  Running in AP mode behind a BT Smart Hub with mixed network of wired and wireless.

Message 76 of 121
webminster
Luminary

wrote:
I've seen it jitter a bit more when connected via a satellite, but really on an LAN you should not be seeing constant double digit ping times, that would indicate that your network is not happy and something is causing that latency. 

I don't see "constant" excessive ping RTTs, as shown only random swings into them.  The bulk of packets return in a few ms.  I'll agree, something is causing it.   As mentioned, the only change is the Orbi - going back to the ASUS restores the normal ping times.   Pings from any box anywhere on the wired GB network to another shows consistent sub-ms RTTs.

Message 77 of 121
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

Sounds like interference with the Orbi wifi. I assume you've tried changing channels, and did a network scan to see what else is around.

Message 78 of 121
webminster
Luminary

Yes.

Message 79 of 121
Odok
Aspirant

Turning off daisy chaining seems to have worked for me too. Pity, it’s a good feature.
Message 80 of 121
Tgterm
Guide

Daisy chain off for several days.  Since then, no major drops.  A few times, my iPad seemed to have to think a little longer than one would expect.  But, prior to turning off Daisy Chaining, I would have to reset a satellite pretty frequently due to 'no internet connection' error when looking at my wifi settings on my iPad.  Haven't gotten that since.  

No no other devices having issues right now, so maybe it's my older iPad acting up at this point.  Samsung S8 is fine, as are my PCs, Fire TV streaming, Amazon Echoes, and Nest camera.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 81 of 121
Daragh
Guide

Extremely unreliable update, reboots required often then won’t connect all satelites, hard wired or not. WiFi speed is very inconsistent. Seriously regretting investing in all this hardware. Won’t make the same mistake again.

Message 82 of 121
lbdyck
Star

When can we expect a new code drop?

Message 83 of 121
Havok_
Star

One little, itty bitty, possible issue...

I would say I've had no problems at all, except for one little glitch that just sprung up...  and when I look at possible changes to devices or computer, can only be explained away by one change...  the Orbi firmware upgrade.

I have no Android devices (other than a Note8 and some tablets... all on Android 7).  But do have a bunch of Sonos and Echo Dots.

Other than that usual fare...

The challenge has been the Fuji Scansnap ix500 I have.  I had it connected wirelessly and it was working great over last few years.  Suddenly, it refuses to scan.  It's connected wirelessly, all diagnostics point to good connection as reported in it's own device manager app as well as Windows 10.  But it will no longer send a scan wirelessly.  Works perfect with a USB connection still. 

It's odd and not a deal breaker for me, but the only thing that has changed was the Orbi firmware update.  Since literally everything else is working great and I've had no other stability issues, I won't be downgrading the firmware for testing.  Rather will see if things change again at a future upgrade.  

Message 84 of 121
j44thor
Initiate

Seems that I am an outlier have significantly more issues with 2.1.2.18 than previous FW versions.  Really just started noticing any drops at all within the last couple weeks.

At first it wasn't noticeable but now my devices drop at least 1X per day and I get a 404 error along with an odd authentication request when trying to access a webpage once the drop occurs.

This was a fantasic product for at least 6 months.  Literally don't recall any drops up until this month.  Was basically a set it and forget it router.  Now it is borderline trash.  Hope disney circle was worth it.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 85 of 121
NickC4555
Star

In spite of disabling auto-updates as per the published telnet method, I have been updated against my will from a previous beta that was working perfectly to V2.1.2.18 which is causing frequent drop outs on my daisy chained satellites. I can't use a star topology, the distance is too far. I can only imagine the damage this must be doing to Netgear's reputation, I certainly won't ever buy another Netgear product.

Message 86 of 121
NickC4555
Star

Having just rebooted my router and two satellites, I now have a "poor" backhaul status on the first satellite and an "unknown" connection type on the second. With the previous firmware I had "good" and "5G" on both.

Message 87 of 121
tclutes
Guide

It is unfortunate, I had hoped this update would help but unfortunately I am still having a lot of disconnects.  As a test I hoooked up our prior system which is Google Wifi and it's working fine.  

I've always been a fan of Netgear products that's why we purchased this Orbi for our new home and so far it's been a waste of money as it has spent more time unplugged and in the closet.

Model: RBK40| Orbi AC2200 WiFi System
Message 88 of 121
JMU1998
Luminary

Anyone know if a new Beta Firmware coming? 

Message 89 of 121
Jebhdz
Tutor

absolutely the worst update. Speeds dropped from 400Mbps to 100Mbps. Very unreliable. I tried everything but no improvements. 

Message 90 of 121
pablofuente
Aspirant

Hello

Since the update to latest FW, my speed has dropped dramatically. 

Something weird is happening, one of the satellites (the one downstairs) says "Connection type: wired" instead of 5G like the other, that is not possible...I use star topology (daisy chain off) via wifi (the router is in mid level and satellites-2 units-are based downstairs and upstairs). I also notice that the IP of that satellite is changing quite a lot. 

Any help?

I tried to factory reset the problematic satellite but notings works...

Thanks

Message 91 of 121
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello pablofuente

Did you make sure that the satellite is on the exact same firmware version as the main router? also have you tried to enable beamforming and MUMIMO

DarrenM

Message 92 of 121
pablofuente
Aspirant

I did check firmware, yes exact same version. Both features (beam forming and Mimo) are enabled.
What else should I try??
Message 93 of 121
lcrosland
Initiate

Is there a new Beta on available? This router was incredible for the first 4 months and now it is ABSOLUTE JUNK! Constant drops to internet. At least 20 times per day across all devices.
Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only)
Message 94 of 121
TC10
Tutor

It would help a lot if Orbi dated their firmware releases.  Thanks.

Message 95 of 121
NickC4555
Star

It would help a lot if they tested them 😀
Message 96 of 121
sunildax
Star

Hardware Version   RBR50

Firmware Version   V2.1.2.18
Backhaul - Wired
Operation Mode   AP

Devices connected 20+ (Windows, Mac, Android, iPhone, Linux, Smart Wifi Plugs, etc.)

Upgraded 1 week ago.Router and Sat have been stable with no disconnects. However, today after a restart I noticed that the Sat was flickering between blue (stable) and orange/ red (poor connectivity) with backhaul showing 2.4 GHz - AND not wired as it actually is. Restarted just the Sat. Seems to be stable.

Question is why should a wireless backhaul be indicated at all when there is wire running between the two Orbis?

Message 97 of 121
njweb
Luminary

Been on 2.1.2.18 for a while now. Running very stable for me on my Orbi RBK53 (3 unit) system, as was 2.0.0.74

I use Citrix to connect to work and also have one application which requires a constant connection and both are working well.

Message 98 of 121
dbhajek
Initiate

I rarely post about products but just have to say something.

When I first bought my Orbi it worked great, but the last couple of months have been a nightmare.  

I do notice if I only use one satallite it seems to work better then when two are going.

The problem is the Orbi was so expensive its hard to give up on it but the fustration just isnt worth it anymore.  I was at bestbuy today talking to them and they say they dont recommend it anymore because of what they are hearing.

Message 99 of 121
joknutsen
Guide

Regarding dating the fw. I agree, but you can just look at the release notes, that's what I ended up doing
Message 100 of 121
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7