Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

TC10
Tutor

I don’t see the date of release unless it us on another page

https://kb.netgear.com/000053549/RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-1-2-18
Message 101 of 121
TC10
Tutor

Seems better now on new release. See below.

I have rbr50 router and satellite.

I was having 2 problems. Router dropping and not connecting and satellite not appearing on iphone app.

I checked and my router was on the new current release 2.1.2.18. A router reboot changed colors on satellite but it did not appear on iphone screen. I tried unplugging it no difference.

So, I went to part of out home that only satellite reaches. I tried a speedtest and it worked with good result. I looked at the iphne orbi app. The satellite now showed and it was prompting that an update to the satellite was available. I did the satellite update.

Both router and satellite appear to be working ok now with good thruput, both on new release.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 102 of 121
Den_
Guide

My router has been running for 17 days now without a single reboot. Speed is very good too running in AP mode.
Message 103 of 121
Guytech
Apprentice

I did the upgrade to 2.1.2.18 and thereafter had several disconnects and random issues. I figured out that it was the wall plug satellite (RBW30 running 2.1.2.2)  causing the issues. Did a reset on it, setit up again, and since then everything is awesome with no issues at all! Great speeds and very stable! IIf having issues Isuggest maybe resetting the whole system after upgrade and try again.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System, RBW30| Orbi Wall Plug Satellite
Message 104 of 121
timch
Luminary

My RBK53 has been running 25 days now, couldn’t be more pleased with the reliability, range and speed.

Message 105 of 121
jtmegerian
Tutor

I had the same problem with frequent drops. I have the new firmware (2.1.2.18). I actually had Netgear replace a router and 2 of my three satellites last month, to no avail. I have replaced my cable modem 3 times in case that was the cause of the problem. I am so frustrated with NG. I tried to ask them to return the system but they told me that is not their policy. I have been on the phone with tech support at the highest levels and all I get is the system to work for a few days before it starts dropping. It always starts slowly, then builds up to drops every 5 minutes. My family is furious, and I work from home and cannot get work done.  I actually had to go buy a verizion ellipsis to get a 'backup' network connection for when the Orbi is down.  Yesterday, I rebooted the router and there were less drops, but still happening.  I am so tired of this and so tired of not getting the fix from Netgear.  I have spent over 500.00 on this system.  Netgear customer support, if you are listening, please, please please help us.

Model: RBR50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Router Only), RBS50| Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi (Satellite Only)
Message 106 of 121
lbdyck
Star

Any plans for a new firmware drop - it's been too long and there are still problems.

Any plans to include some diagnostic software that the user can run to diagnose issues with our configuration that might contribute to these issues?

Message 107 of 121
Raka1212
Guide

I see too many complaints with Netgear orbi system. As far as my experience, I am running router and two satellites system for more than 3 months without any issue. All units are auto updated to latest firmware. Reading all the complaints, it
Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 108 of 121
wildhorse
Star

I'm not experiencing problems other users are having with 2.1.2.18 firmware. My setup is simple though - one router (ground floor) + one satellite (1st floor), both not far from staircase. I do not need more satellites. Devices include smartphones, TV, laptop. There do not appear to be any problems when moving between router-satellite repeatedly and no high CPU usage.

Message 109 of 121
heyeaglefn
Guide

Having problems with this and every release since the .74 release.  I think those that aren't seeing the problem may not be noticing it because your uptime still remains the same so you actually have to see it.

My probably is my Satelite dropping it's connection, which means my hardwired devices losing connection temporarily throughout the day for about 20 seconds.  I see it pop up on my screen on my computer or I dropped a phone call because of it.  Be playing xbox and it will just drop the connection.  None of this happened on .74 but every release since it has happened.  

Can't believe Netgear won't let me stay on .74, always auto updates and nothing I can do to fix this issue on any of the new firmware.

Message 110 of 121
tagteam
Virtuoso

If what you stated is true, wouldn't I be seeing a variance in my "WLAN Backhaul" uptime and my "WAN" (or system) uptime?

I'm not; they are identical and everything lines up perfectly.

Message 111 of 121
heyeaglefn
Guide

Do you have any devices wired into your satelitite?  

Message 112 of 121
mgdurand1
Luminary

Yes.  I have a desktop computer connected by hardware to one of my satellites.  Works fine.

wrote:

Message 113 of 121
heyeaglefn
Guide

I don't know, I just know it works fine on .74 but not on any firmware since then.

For example, my WAN uptime is 1:11:09:32

My WLAN Backhaul updtime is 1:11:09:06

I noticed multiple dropped connections over the last hour, each was a few seconds so that is probably the 26 seconds difference.

Message 114 of 121
tagteam
Virtuoso

wrote:

Yes, I have a laptop that rarely moves so I ran an ethernet cable to one of my sats.

Message 115 of 121
wildhorse
Star

If uptime is not reset it could be that some service has crashed and restarted. There could be something in logs. That is if drops occur on multiple devices simultaneously. Otherwise it could be a driver problem on some devices.

I'm affraid if nobody comes up with concrete steps to reproduce their problem Netgear won't do anything companies usually don't chase random problems if they aren't reproducible.

Most reliable way to block auto-update is to have a firewall in front of Orbi and block access to firmware images. Additional methods may exist like setting some *fw* properties in addition to those already named or deleting the fw-upgrade cron job in /tmp/etc/.. (to be persistent image would have to be modified).

Message 116 of 121
heyeaglefn
Guide

Just had Satellite drop connection for another 15 seconds, did not change the WLAN Backhaul up time so I am not sure that is even logging accurately at this point.

Message 117 of 121
wildhorse
Star

Where do you see WLAN backhaul up time? I only see System Uptime on both router and satellite. System uptime should be accurate, it resets when Orbi performs upgrade (which requires a reboot). If it doesn't decrease then there was no reboot.

I would check if connection drop affects multiple devices simultaneously. During this short period not even the router/satellite is accessible by ping? How many satellites are there?

Message 118 of 121
heyeaglefn
Guide

Go to Advanced, Show Stats, then it has it at the bottom WLAN Backhaul.

From what I can tell all my wired devices are unavailable when the connection drops on that satellite for the 10-15 second period.  I've reverted back to .74 this afternoon and no issues at this point.

It just a one router one satellite combo, so nothing complicated.  Sattelite says 5G Connection Good.

Message 119 of 121
sunildax
Star

My own experience at time for which the Orbi works flawlessly even after the fw upgrade - Not more than 36 hours.

Either the RBR goes into hang state or the RBS. Only answer is a reboot.

In comparison my DLinks (DIR 865 / DIR 655 set up as the main router and AP with wired backhaul) and the workhorse DIR 895L dont require any reboot like ever. 

I would expect better performance by the Orbi for the price I have paid.

Message 120 of 121
fitsnugly
Star

Just an update:

I've been running a debug version of the current 2.1.2.18 firmware and providing logs after the random reboots.

Apparently the debug firmware wasn't grabbing the panic logs so I was provided with 2 new sets of firmware to further try and diagnose the reboots.  Wish me luck 😛

Message 121 of 121
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7