Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

tagteam
Virtuoso

Re: Announcing availability of OrbiOS 2.1

Not sure whether or not it will be of much utility to you, but a Netgear support article on the subject is at the link below.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy...

Message 176 of 180
Bing-Stroller
Luminary

I had similar problems with crashing and random reboots when I tried the ethernet backhaul (between 2 satellites) on a reasonably stable setup.
Appreciate the diagrams - thanks.
But, with no clear guidance on how to get to that stage it's all guess work.
i.e sync everything and then connect or switch on in a particular sequence after connecting.
It's all trial and in my case - error/crash.
Message 177 of 180
tagteam
Virtuoso

Bing-Stroller wrote:
...But, with no clear guidance on how to get to that stage it's all guess work....

It's unfortunate that even the user manual, which was just updated last month, doesn't provide more specificity.

http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/RBK50/Orbi_UM_EN.pdf

Message 178 of 180
aaz
Virtuoso
Virtuoso

@dmw_2 wrote:

.. Everything seemed rock solid so I decided to try the ethernet backhaul to one of my RBS50 satellites.  Within moments of plugging an ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports of the satellite and the other end into a remote switch located near the satellite the network just went into a cycle of crashing...  

What kind of switch do you have connected to the satellite and what plugs into that switch? Do you really need more ports there than the satellite can provide?

Also maybe try using ethernet backhaul through the switch instead of connected directly to the satellite if you can.

Message 179 of 180
dmw_2
Guide

@aaz wrote:

@dmw_2 wrote:

.. Everything seemed rock solid so I decided to try the ethernet backhaul to one of my RBS50 satellites.  Within moments of plugging an ethernet cable into one of the LAN ports of the satellite and the other end into a remote switch located near the satellite the network just went into a cycle of crashing...  

What kind of switch do you have connected to the satellite and what plugs into that switch? Do you really need more ports there than the satellite can provide?

Also maybe try using ethernet backhaul through the switch instead of connected directly to the satellite if you can.

Thank you tagteam for directing me to that diagram about how ethernet backhaul can be set up.  I am not sure if it's critical to have the RJ45s plugged into those exact LAN ports but the diagram with the SWITCH best matches my set up.  However, with the Orbi coming so long after me laying concealed ethernet cables around my house over time, there are in fact 3 switches involved before the satellite.  Within a few inches of the RBR50 there is a Netgear GS308 which primarily serves all the devices round my PC workstation.  One of the ports on the GS308 is then hard wired round to a cupboard and a Netgear Pro Safe GS116 (that provides ethernet to various hubs e.g. British Gas HIVE, a weather station, a NAS (Netgear ReadyNAS 212) etc.  One of the ports on the GS116 then goes out to the garage and a TP Link PoE switch which connects to several wildlife cameras, IP cameras and micro PC used as a camera server.  One of those TP Link ports is where I plugged the RBS50 into.  Now, responding to aaz's question ... the garage is right on the limit of backhaul signal and shows as 5G but POOR (probably 25 feet but 3 brick walls away).  As the ethernet cable is already in situ I thought it made sense to use that for the backhaul but it cannot be used exclusively by the RBS50.  It's possible I could plug the ethernet cable from the GS116 into the garage into the RBS50 and then put the TP Link switch beyond it (thus reducing to 2 switches between the RBR50 and RBS50) but whether that would solve my crashing network problem I do not know without trying.  I hope my explanation of my network topology makes sense.  

Message 180 of 180
Top Contributors
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7