Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

BigRune
Apprentice

Another RBR50 Dropping Internet Connection

OK, so now I just about had it with this Netgear setup I bought. 

Seven week old setup of RBR50 and a wired RBS50. fwV2.3.5.30 on both devices.Router Connected to a CTS HES 3106 Fibre converter switch.

After initial setup the system was running fine, serving a mix of connected and wireless clients. Great speeds too. However after 3-4 weeks I experience losing wan connection weekly on both wired and WiFi devices. WiFi still working though.

Logging in locally with the orbi app i displays the RBR50 as having magenta ring and no internet connection. Selecting Internet Speed displays a healty 300/300 connection.

Turning off WiFi on the phone and logging in remotely displays a RBR50 with green ring and INTERNET ONLINE. Smiley Frustrated

Rebooting the Router makes everything OK.

I would have guessed this was a mature product by now. Scanning through the forum on similar topics I only see suggestions that users should hardware reset and spend time making new setups trying different, often unrelated, changes in settings.

Again, as stated in other thread, I come from previously using an AC3200 Router that never required a reboot or stopped traffic in five Years.

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 1 of 39

Accepted Solutions
BigRune
Apprentice

Today I feel total relief. I returned the RBK50, got a total refund and installed my old ugly, no-app, rock-solid AC3200 router.

Could not imagine a product that flawed would still be in the shelves. Good luck you all with future firmware uppdates and endless discussions what equipment this malfunctioning piece of garbage is,connected to Smiley LOL.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 39

All Replies
BigRune
Apprentice

Today I feel total relief. I returned the RBK50, got a total refund and installed my old ugly, no-app, rock-solid AC3200 router.

Could not imagine a product that flawed would still be in the shelves. Good luck you all with future firmware uppdates and endless discussions what equipment this malfunctioning piece of garbage is,connected to Smiley LOL.

Message 2 of 39
ekhalil
Master

This is the issue of the ISP Lease time that was introduced few months ago in Orbi.

Reducing the ISP Lease time should solve this issue.

Reducing the ISP Lease time can be done using the following telnet commands:

>> config get wan_lease

>> config set wan_lease=1200

>> config commit

Good luck.

Message 3 of 39
BigRune
Apprentice

Thanks @ekhalil , that might be useful information for troubled Orbi owners 👍.

For my part, I now enjoy two weeks of uninterrupted and trouble-free up-time with a Unifi Dream Machine from Ubiquiti Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 39
ssgtweasel
Guide

Having same issue where I keep dropping connection and started maybe 2 weeks or so
I have latest RBR50 with 2 satellites
How do I access cli?
What are login/password?
Message 5 of 39
ekhalil
Master

• From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400 as default
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=1200
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 6 of 39
ssgtweasel
Guide

Currently v2.5.1.8
RBR50
Message 7 of 39
ekhalil
Master

@ssgtweasel, please try the steps mentioned in the previous post. 🙂

Message 8 of 39
Beekmeister
Aspirant

Had the same issue. This solved it for me.

@ekhalil wrote:
  • From browser go to the router's debug page (http://192.168.1.1/debug.htm). Use your router's IP address or http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm
  • Enter admin as user name and your router’s management password
  • Tick "Enable Telnet" option
  • Use Telnet from a computer attached to Orbi to connect to your Router telnet 192.168.1.1 and enter admin and the same password as above
  • Enter the following commands:
    • root@RBR50:/# config get wan_lease    — Should give you --> 86400 as default
    • root@RBR50:/# config set wan_lease=1200
    • root@RBR50:/# config commit

Message 9 of 39
BigRune
Apprentice

@Beekmeister Would not helped me, i could run speedtest successfully and login to the router remotely so the router was still online though blocking and reporting offline.

My solution is better: Now on 4th week of uptime. Great speeds, lot’s of functions and settings in app/web. Manufacturer even offer opt-In on a beta programme if you prefer to live on the edge. An additional Unifi AP secures coverage for large homes https://dl.ubnt.com/ds/udm_ds

Message 10 of 39
gabe_rhodes
Aspirant

I keep lossing internet!  This used to be such a great peice of equipment. Have to reset almost every other day. Which fixes the problem and the satalite losses connection every other day too! How do I return this product!???  

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 11 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and satellite(s)? 30 feet is recommended in between RBR and RBS to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected. https://kb.netgear.com/000036466/How-far-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite-from-my-Orbi-route

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and any unused channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many

Try enabling Beamforming and MIMO(MIMO may or maynot be needed) and WMM. Under Advanced Tab/Advanced Settings/Wireless Settings

Try disabling the following and see:
Armor, Circle, Daisy Chain, Fast Roaming, IPv6 and Set 20/40Mhz Coexistence to 40Mhz only. Set Short preamble instead of Long preamble modes. Save settings and reboot the router and satellite(s).

You can contact NG support for further RMA information and help. 

https://www.netgear.com/support/#

@gabe_rhodes wrote:

I keep lossing internet!  This used to be such a great peice of equipment. Have to reset almost every other day. Which fixes the problem and the satalite losses connection every other day too! How do I return this product!???  

Message 12 of 39
BigRune
Apprentice

@gabe_rhodes wrote:

Just put the Orbi stuff in the recycle bin and upgrade to something that just works.

Dont spend your time disabeling, reseting, downgrading, upgrading, configurating Orbi. It will just not work as advertised and no firmware can fix the bad system design.

Now living a trouble free networking life, supporting easy-peasy Google Wifi for relatives and myself enjoying super fast Ubiquiti Unifi Dream Machine at home.

Bye-bye Netgear, the greed and incompetence you put in Orbi will make you loose a lot of customers and $$$$. 

Message 13 of 39
A_T
Initiate
Initiate

After many many hours of zero productivity while trying to work from home, changing Telnet, SSID, Frequency, I eventually disabled Circle.  Presto my cycle of dropping out for 2 minutes every 30 and having to relog into all the company security VPNs, seems to be fixed.  Begs the question on why on earth this software in bundled with the unit in the first place

Message 14 of 39
Retired_Member
Not applicable

People here never want to hear this but I've had three years of uninterrupted uptime with my RBK50 set. So from my point of view dumping the whole shebang in the recycle bin is a bit like getting a new car because the fuel-tank is empty 🙂

I'm glad though that you're happy with your move.

Message 15 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Been log threads on the use of Cicle resently:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-RBR50-instability-issues/m-p/1884128/highlight/false#M866...

I don't use it period. I recommend users avoid using it. NG is aware of the problem. 

@A_T wrote:

After many many hours of zero productivity while trying to work from home, changing Telnet, SSID, Frequency, I eventually disabled Circle.  Presto my cycle of dropping out for 2 minutes every 30 and having to relog into all the company security VPNs, seems to be fixed.  Begs the question on why on earth this software in bundled with the unit in the first place

Message 16 of 39
BigRune
Apprentice

Bad system design. ”Don’t use Circle, disable Armor, disable all features...” What value does that bring users paying top $$$?.

Orbi will be in Beta until discontinued and sorry no opt-out of beta-program is available for customers 👎
Message 17 of 39
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Design is always subjective.  If Orbi FW works as design, it's a good Mesh system.  If Orbi FW is buggy, it's a bad Mesh system.  There's no question that Orbi hardware spec is far better than most competitions.  It boils down to firmware/software quality testing.  NG needs to beef up their stress test coverage for high loads, scaling, and better integration testing with ISPs.

With that being said, if you've already paid for the system, this forum could help bringing your Orbi back online unless you've already decided to toss it in the bin and got yourself a new Mesh system.

I've been down a similar rocky roads with Orbi, but I've since found a workaround, switching Orbi to AP Mode, and my Orbi setup has been rock solid even since.  YMMV.

Stay safe and good luck!

Message 18 of 39
FURRYe38
Guru

Users can try Voxels FW for Orbi as well:
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Voxels-FW-available-for-50-series-Orbi-only-available/m-p/1883...
You can revert back to stock FW if it doesn't work out for you. 

Set up my friends Orbi system two years ago:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I haven't touched it since. Been up and running fine for him. Zero issues. 

Message 19 of 39
BigRune
Apprentice

Orbi should be flashed with alternative firmware or be used as access point. Really? People buying in to an expensive Netgear Wifi 5 system in year 2020 should do this? Come on😁😁😁🤣😂
Message 20 of 39
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Message 21 of 39
espcar
Star

@FURRYe38 wrote:

Set up my friends Orbi system two years ago:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/Orbi-firmware-update-v2-1-4-16-availability/m-p/1592753/highli...

I haven't touched it since. Been up and running fine for him. Zero issues. 

I assume this was without Circle and Armour?

Because without those, my system have also been 100% uptime and no issues.

Since it was working 100% fine for more than 6 months now, I decided to try Armor again.
And then, 4 days of uptime and everything locks down so the RBR have to be rebooted.

I think this is the real issue, as when I got the RBK53, it was because it was best in test for speed all over and it had the Armor and Circle options. If I knew then what I know now, that the Armor and Circle software kills the system, I'd probably wouldn't have bought it.

Yes, without any of the optional security and monitoring, it works rock solid, however, the app keeps nagging that "armor is not enabled" and "Have you tried circle yet?" 🙂

I really wish Netgear took the issues seriously and fixed the integration.

Or just released a firmware that enabled more debugging options, so it was possilbe to get closer to what the real issue is.

Message 22 of 39
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

Well, not everyone has the same requirement when they purchased Orbi.  I bought 2 sets of RBK53 from Costco for its strong Tri-Band WiFi capability and I'm very happy with Orbi in AP Mode so far.  Orbi routing features are not up to the task for my use cases.  I don't need to pay monthly for Circle/Armer features when I can get better features for free with pfSense + DNS filtering.

The point of this discussion is that folks can decide if they want to throw away a good piece of HW that's already paid for or try to get the best out of what it does best, which is WiFi/Mesh network, without paying more money for something else.

We can agree to disagree I guess.  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 39
SW_
Prodigy
Prodigy

@espcar wrote:

I assume this was without Circle and Armour?

Because without those, my system have also been 100% uptime and no issues.

Since it was working 100% fine for more than 6 months now, I decided to try Armor again.
And then, 4 days of uptime and everything locks down so the RBR have to be rebooted.

You're right on target.  The good news is that NG is working on a fix.  Check out this Orbi-RBR50-Circle-frequent-DNS-failures 

Message 24 of 39
BigRune
Apprentice

There is no system without software. The system is no better than the qualities of its combined parts. The Orbi hardware may be used as a good paper weight or as an alternative to access points in an other system. It is just not a reliable WiFi system in it self. The software cannot be trusted and users try to mitigate this with factory resets, up-/downgrading FW or alternate FW distributions. 

Now four years in its life cycle stability is still an issue, but Orbi is still marketed,as,"Worry-free WiFi" 😆

Orbi blankets the whole home with steady WiFi so you can stream wherever you want, without worry. No more running around looking for a stable internet connection.

Easily set up your Orbi WiFi, monitor devices connected to your network, and even put your internet on pause at specific times for specific devices.

Manage online content across web and app platforms and set bedtimes and time limits for any connected device. Circle Smart Parental Controls gives parents peace of mind.

Protect an unlimited number of devices from cyber threats, including your smartphone, laptop, security cameras, and more. Learn more about Armor.

This is what I expected to get when I bought the Orbi. Or at least something like what's advertised. 

Message 25 of 39
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 38 replies
  • 34 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7