Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Another problem with a satellite on wired

WS-010
Guide

Another problem with a satellite on wired

Hi, again some troubles. I have resetted all the devices to factory defaults, router en satellites. The RBR-50 is up and running in Access Point mode and 2 out of 3 are connected, at least, according to the orbi app on the phone. When I login into the router via the browser, I do see all 3 the satellites.

When looking further there is a mismatch in the ip address in the phone app, it is showing an old ip address and the browser is showing the new, correct one. I have included 2 screen prints. I have rebooted the router, but nothing helpes.

Another issue is that 2 of the 3 are wired connected, but as shown on the screenprint, they are connected wireless. Next to this, I wonder why the names of the devices differ in the browser, 2 out of 3 are called "Netgear" and the third, currently not working one, is named "Orbi Satellite RBS50) and the satellites are all the same.

Can someone please help to get the 2 satellites up and running, connected on wired?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Another problem with a satellite on wired

Possible that you may have a faulty RBS that needs replacing.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 15

All Replies
WS-010
Guide

Re: Another problem with a satellite on wired (screenprint of the browser)

Message 2 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I see your FW is behind by one. Might want to update the RBS FIRST then the RBR lastly:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi/New-RBR50-RBS50-Firmware-Version-2-7-4-24-Released/td-p/221345...

Factory reset and setup from scratch.

I would setup the system with the RBS in the same room as the RBR, one at a time. 

Message 3 of 15
WS-010
Guide

Thanks, I have updated the firmware a few hours ago, but it is still not working 100%. A wired RBS50 is still on 5G and another RBS50, with the same setup, is working over wired. I have no clue why the first one is not able to connect as a wired connection. 

Any idea?

Message 4 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

How are the RBS connected to the RBR via ethernet? Directly to the back of the RBR or is there some LAN patch panel or LAN switch in between? If so, Brand and model of switch please.

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

What CAT# lan cable is being used? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 5 of 15
WS-010
Guide

Hi,

Thanks. I have 3 RBS, 2 off those are connected thru wired and 1 is thru wireless. However, 1 of those connected thru wired still shows in the browser that it is connected thru 5G and the other one say wired. I cannot get the second one working over the wired connection. Daise Chaining is set to off.

All satellites are working, wired and wireless, but the app still show that the 2 wired are not connected. Very strange.

Message 6 of 15
ekhalil
Master

I think it will help to remove all satellite pairings and start again. Please pair the wired satellites only when the LAN cables are conneted. Please follow the following procedure:

1. Switch off the Satellites
  2. Go to Attached Devices in the web GUI and click on the "Disconnect" button beside all the Satellites one by one.
  3. Turn on the Satellite -one by one- and use a paper clip to factory reset the Satellite.
  4. When the Satellite is up after factory reset, press the Sync button on the Satellite (while the Ethernet cables to the Router are connected for the wired satellites) and then on the Router.
  5. When the Satellites are now added they should -hopefully- behave correctly.

Message 7 of 15
WS-010
Guide

Ok, thanks. I will try that tonight and let you know.

Message 8 of 15
WS-010
Guide

Thanks, I followed your guidelines, it is not working. Next to that, I am unable to get the satellite working again at all. A restore also doesn't help. I am getting frustrated about this equipment. It is not the cheapest stuff, but it is not an easy setup. I have resetted it a number of times, it doesn't help.

Maybe I should buy a another brand........

Message 9 of 15
KevinLiT
NETGEAR Moderator

Hello WS-010,

Thank you for your post!

I understand that you would prefer to use the Wi-Fi backhaul instead of the wireless backhaul. 

Please try the following steps:

• First, sync the RBS to your RBR wirelessly.
  • Then, plug in the ethernet cable. 

Please let me know the progress of this issue as soon as possible!

Best,

Kevin

Community Team

Message 10 of 15
WS-010
Guide

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I have tried this numerous times, it remains on 5G and not wired.

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

So taking the RBS to same room as the RBR and using a LAN patch cable connected in the back of the RBR to the RBS doesn't change the status to wired after a few minutes? Using a good quality LAN cable. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 12 of 15
WS-010
Guide

Yes, tested that, with a good cable. One RBS is working, the other not. Thanks for your reply.

Message 13 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Possible that you may have a faulty RBS that needs replacing.

Message 14 of 15
WS-010
Guide

You are probably right

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements