Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Any else having trouble downloading the NEW netgear orbi app?

GaryInEdmond
Guide

Any else having trouble downloading the NEW netgear orbi app?

Firmware version 1.4.0.18 is supposed to support the new netgear orbi app.  I found it in the iphone app store, release date 12/12/2016, however, it wont let me download the app.

Is anyone else having this problem? 

I am not talking about netgear genie, it's the new app specifically for the orbi.

If anyone has it downloaded and working, how is it??

Message 1 of 19
qskillzwfu25
Tutor

getting an error message also when trying to install on android phone/device.  

Message 2 of 19
AniDutta
Apprentice

I was just able to download the app. iOS 10.2 came out today and the app store is seeing some traffic. Try in a while. I'm at work, will play around with the app once I get home.
Message 3 of 19
GaryInEdmond
Guide

Finally got the app installed.   It's a little dissapointing.  No priority device, pause device, device families, sattelite connection strength among other features offered in google wifi, eero and lumos.  I wish I could have the eero or google software with netgear orbi hardware.

Message 4 of 19
loomis1975
Luminary

Doesn't appear to be an android app released yet, at least I've been unable to find it.

Message 5 of 19
AniDutta
Apprentice

Underwhelming app. No functionality except for changing SSID and password!
Message 6 of 19
Chadhetlet
Guide

Also was hoping there would be an easy way to turn on the guest network and then share the password from the app, but no.
And I'm showing 0 connected devices on the app over an hour from downloading and installing the firmware.
Message 7 of 19
rhester72
Virtuoso

@loomis1975 wrote:

Doesn't appear to be an android app released yet, at least I've been unable to find it.

It's there.  Search Google Play for Netgear Orbi.

Rodney

Message 8 of 19
qskillzwfu25
Tutor

I see it in the Google play store but it fails to install after it downloads....anyone else get the Android version to install?
Message 9 of 19
loomis1975
Luminary

I have the Android app installed and working.  It is really limited.

Message 10 of 19

i think the design and working of the app reflects what the orbi its self is intending to do , that being simple no fuss whole home wifi 

Message 11 of 19
AniDutta
Apprentice

Petey,
I'm going to disagree with you. I've used the Luma; it was easier to set up and worked fine. The app offered a ton of options to manage the network and connected devices. I returned it since I wasn't getting coverage in areas I needed. The Orbi provides superior coverage and signal strength, but the lack of a functional app on a $400 device is disappointing. Netgear is in a position to blow away competition, but they need to develop a functional app that will provide users the opportunity to perform the similar functions that can be done through orbilogin.com
Message 12 of 19
AniDutta
Apprentice

I traded in a Luma wifi system for the Orbi since the Luma hardware didn't provide me the coverage I needed. The Orbi meets my needs. But I've got to say, the Luma app provide so much control for managing the network than the current version of the Orbi app. With the Orbi app only thing that can be done is changing SSID and password. It's missing the following:
1) QoS
2) Parental control
3) Pausing internet
4) setting time limits for devices
5) blocking devices

Netgear has one of the best whole home wifi systems. But it is extremely disappointing for them to release an app that does basically nothing!
Message 13 of 19
GaryInEdmond
Guide

I would add seeing which devices are connected to the satellite for the features that should be included in the app as well as satellite connection strength.

I want netgear to do well with the Orbi.  I honestly believe it's the best hardware solution right now.  I just wish their software was as good as other software solutions available.  It makes a difference when people are trying to decide which device to choose.  In day to day use however, none of that is a dealbreaker for me.  My internet wifi works better now than it ever has and at the end of the day, wifi speed throughout my house is the most important factor.

Message 14 of 19
AniDutta
Apprentice

Gary,
I agree that I want to see Netgear do well with the Orbi. That's why I'm suggesting some features that may help. I'm thinking from a non-tech savy user's perspective. If I'm not home and my wife needs to block my son's tablet, she will be challenged! I don't mind the lack of an app, but a happy wife is a happy life :))
Message 15 of 19
gfrey
Apprentice

I just tried installing from the Google Play Store on my Pixel XL running Android 7.1.1 and it fails installation every time.  Looking at the comments it is a widespread issue.  Ugggh!

Message 16 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Hello everyone 

If you are having problems installing the app can you provide me the

1 phone model

2 wireless carrier

3 Android version 

DarrenM

Message 17 of 19
qskillzwfu25
Tutor

Google Pixel XL
Verizon
Message 18 of 19
DarrenM
Sr. NETGEAR Moderator

Thank you for that info I passed this along for testing.

DarrenM

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7