Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Any good feedback from anybody regarding the orbi's epecially long time users ?

sleepbaby
Guide

Any good feedback from anybody regarding the orbi's epecially long time users ?

Just wondering if there is any good feedback regrading the Orbi, there must be some happy reports from long time users?. Any feedback with downgrading the firmware?

Model: RBK33| Orbi Plug-In WiFi System
Message 1 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Any good feedback from anybody regarding the orbi's epecially long time users ?

Had mine about a month now. Not very long however has been stable in a 5000sq ft house. I've disabling MIMO. Mine doesn't have Daisy Chain or Fast Roaming so I can't test those features. Only have 1 Satellite anyways.

It's recommended to give a try and disable Beamforming, MIMO, Daisy Chain, and Fast Roaming if you have any of these options. 

Set manual channell 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz. 

WPA2 and AES only. 

How big is your house? You might not need a Satellite, just use the Orbi router. 

If you seem to experience continued problems, and if your on v2.#.1.8, then down grade to v2.0.1.4. I would send the FW file using IE11 or FF browser, after it installs, to a factory reset on both router and Satellite. Then setup  from scratch. Disable the aboe mentioned features again and test. 

@sleepbabywrote:

Just wondering if there is any good feedback regrading the Orbi, there must be some happy reports from long time users?. Any feedback with downgrading the firmware?

Message 2 of 15
nicholb
Luminary

Had mine since mid January.  The first 2 weeks I had occasional reboots due to the Google issue. Once Google Play Services was updated they have been running great. No dropouts and no reboots. All advanced features are on and I'm running the 2.1 firmware. Coverage over the 3 floors (about 900sqf per floor) is great. I have many wired and wireless devices including phones, tablets, PCs, Mac, Xboxes, streaming boxes, home automation, security cameras, Google Homes, and speakers.

Model: RBK50| Orbi AC3000 High-Performance Tri-Band WiFi System
Message 3 of 15
dewi
Tutor

I've had a very positive experience with my Orbi. I bought it in April 2017 and I haven't had any problems with it at all.

I know that many people have had a very poor experience with the Orbi. I was reluctant to buy the Orbi because I'd previously had a very poor experience with a Netgear DGND3700v1, which ended with my obtaining a refund from Netgear. However, the Orbi had received very positive reviews. I wanted to give it a try because we've struggled to achieve adequate Wi-Fi coverage in our house, which has thick stone walls. I ordered from Amazon because I knew I'd be able to return it if it didn't work satisfactorily. The Orbi has been outstanding. We now get Wi-Fi coverage everywhere in the house and even in the back garden.

Message 4 of 15
Roamabout
Luminary

I think you will get a range of replies including people that ran trouble free for months before a firmware update broke something as well as people that had a bad experience from day 1. I have had my system for almost a month (router plus 2 sats) in a 5600sq foot house and the Orbi has exceeded my expectations.

Message 5 of 15
franktribe
Apprentice

Mine is stable. I have 2 satellites. I am running the AC3000 series. To be clear, I have only had it a couple weeks. It was a little bit of a challenge to get it up and running but part of that was my misunderstanding. I thought the Ethernet backhaul was part of the current firmware which is incorrect. I was plugging in my Ethernet cable and it was freaking out. Once I realized that wasn't supported with my firmware, I got the 5Ghz backhaul working and it worked great. I would like to get the Disney Circle feature working but that is part of the new firmware that people are having issues with. I am not running that firmware and mine is stable. And fast. I like it.

Message 6 of 15
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Orbi since Nov 2017

First 3 months not too many problems, outside a few reboots.  

2.01.18 caused router disconnect every 48 hours.  Called netgear CS and they walked be thru the fall back to .14     Still a few disconnects the first 24-48 hours.  Been stable now for 2 weeks.

My system is Motorola/Cox modem and 20-25 devices at any one time.  2000 sq ft house.

I don't do betas or tweak any settings.  Too much of that crap years ago.  I still don't understand why people would run another router with a Orbi.  Must live in a pretty huge house.  That's it....bought from Costco so if it was to completely crap out I would return and go back to ASUS.  

Message 7 of 15
Starbucky
Apprentice

I'm on the fence. I bought the RBK50 system two weeks ago and after reading about all the issues others are having I am considering returning the Orbi and going with my second choice the Velop. That said though I haven't had any issues since I installed Orbi. It's been pretty solid and blows away my old Asus RT AC66U. I rolled back the firmware right away to V2.1.2.18 because I wanted Circle and wired backhaul. I'm running with essentially default settings. I'm not using wired backhaul at the moment.

We have a 3000sf two story house, 120/10 broadband with Hitron CGN3 modem and have 30+ devices. Multiple PCs, iPads, iPhones, Smart TVs, NAS, networked printers, bunch of Google cast devices, a bunch of smart home devices, a bunch of cloud IP cameras, Android TV devices, gaming consoles, multiple giagbit switches, etc... We haven't noticed any issues with wifi or internet disconnects or reboots.

I'm worried that I will start seeing issues and will end up like a lot of the other folks waiting for the manufacturer to fix issues. I started looking more closely at the Velop community/forum and the Velop also seems to have some serious issues which aren't being addressed. A loca retailer has Velop packages on sale, ending tomorrow, and I'm thinking of buying the two pack and keeping it aside i case I decide to return the Orbi within the 30 days... I've been steiwng about it. I really would like to stick with the Orbi though. I'm hoping that a new firmware will be released before my 30 days return option ends.

Cheers!        

Message 8 of 15
harold8860
Tutor

I've had my Orbi system since February 15, 2017 and I can honestly say (with my fingers crossed) that I haven't had an once of trouble! I am sorry for those who have had problems; but my experience has been positive and trouble free for over a year!

Message 9 of 15
AC641
Luminary

I have no idea how many Orbi systems have been sold but you can assume that most of those customers who aren't posting here about their problems are having a positive experience.  I have had the RBK50 system since Apr '17 and have had zero issues.  For me it has been rock solid from day one and I have installed all the firmware updates and am now using 2.1.2.18.  I started using it as the router but following a change of ISP it's now in AP mode.  I'm also using the Ethernet backhaul via pass-through Poweline Adpaters.

Message 10 of 15
MarkC1024
Luminary

Mines been rock solid since I got it about a year ago. I've been through all of the firmware upgrades with no issues.  Currently running 2.1.2.18 with 2 satellites.  Not using ethernet backhaul nor Daisy-Chain

Message 11 of 15
tsig
Luminary

Had mine for two months now, on the latest (banned) update, not one issue.

Message 12 of 15
tagteam
Virtuoso

@MarkC1024wrote:

Mines been rock solid since I got it about a year ago. I've been through all of the firmware upgrades with no issues.  Currently running 2.1.2.18 with 2 satellites.  Not using ethernet backhaul nor Daisy-Chain

Same here except I've been running my system (RBR50 plus 2 sats) for about 6 months. Almost perfect thus far.

Message 13 of 15
larryindublin
Luminary

@MarkC1024wrote:

I agree. Bought mine Black Friday sale via Costco so have their typical "virtually unlimited" return policy (did you guys/gals see the person return a LIVE Christmas tree after New Years becase it was dead!).

A little initial problem related to Google Play Services issue but updated to Beta and that went away. RBK53 - 1 Router, 2 Satellites, 2500sqft house across 3 levels. Coverage from Sidewalk through entire backyard. 5G backhaul, not daisychained. Have uPnP off. Still running the true "newest" firmware since have never had issues. Best router system I've ever owned.

Message 14 of 15
Dd852
Luminary

Very happy with it. None of the issues bedevilling some users on this forum. I've had it since April 2017, so 11 months. 1200 sq ft Viictorian-era mansion block flat with thick walls...  much longer than it's wide. Get good service everywhere in the flat now, ranging from 280 Mbps in the best spot to 40 Mbps in the worst - which is certainly more than adequate for me! No dead spots at all. Ping times 5 ms. I'm on the now withdrawn firmware version 2.1.2.18

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 9 kudos
  • 15 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7