Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Any problems switching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1

Any problems switching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1

Hi Guys - my orbi arrives when UPS gets it here today and I've been reading up - I have two printers that have static IP's - one of them is a scanner and the other is a color laser that is Apple Print capable - so its used for the phones and tablets. 

Both of them are on a 192.168.0.xx static and both are a pain in the rear to use the one line panel to get them to sync up -

Question:  Is there any problem renaming the router so its found at 192.168.0.1 so I can access the printers as is - and do a reservation for them as part of set up???

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 1 of 15

Accepted Solutions
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Any problems switching from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1

Set a new default IP addrss pool of 192.168.1.100 to .200, then you can set static IP addressed devices on either side of this pool.

Static IP addressed devices need to be out side of the default IP address pool while IP reservations are with in the pool. 

I have 3 printers, cameras and 3 NAS set up with static IPs on the devices. I'm also using 192.168.0.1. 

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 15

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Set a new default IP addrss pool of 192.168.1.100 to .200, then you can set static IP addressed devices on either side of this pool.

Static IP addressed devices need to be out side of the default IP address pool while IP reservations are with in the pool. 

I have 3 printers, cameras and 3 NAS set up with static IPs on the devices. I'm also using 192.168.0.1. 

Message 2 of 15

Got it - reserved IP addresses need to be outside the pool. . .

But - if I'm using 192.168.0.98 [example] and the reservations are 192.168.1.xx-xxx by default - isnt that already outside the pool?  So All I would need do is to make the reservation in the reservations list? 

Message 3 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

No, Reserved IPs are inside the pool. Static IP devices are outside the pool. Remember you'll be changing the routers IP address string from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.0.1. 

Message 4 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Another "growth opportunity" for me.  My understanding has been that the Orbi default subnet mask is 255.255.255.0.

DHCP devices are limited to one 255.255.255.0 subnet.

If devices with static IP's (not "assigned", but actually "static") are in the 192.168.0.x and the DHCP pool is in 192.168.1.x and they are all attached to the same Orbi, how does this "work"?  I would think that to any device in the 1.x subnet, an address in the 0.x subnet must be "out the WAN port somewhere."  (Same thing for the printers. 192.168.1.x must be "outside the local broadcast domain")

I am so confused.

Message 5 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

All IPs and devices need to be under the same pool string. Thus the main pool string is 192.168.0.1 or .1.1, which ever you choose on the router. The size of the pool by default is .2 to .254 in most cases. I choose to lower the pool size to 192.168.0.100 to.150 for my needs. I  don't have 50 devices as of yet so this gives me room to grow when that happens. Users can base this off what qty devices they have connected. Some may need .100 to .200 or more. This is flexible. This IP pool here resides for dymanic or reserved IP addressed devices.

Now from 192.168.0.2 thru .99 and 192.168.0.151 or .201, everthing at the head or at the end of the pool is open for use for static IP addressed devices. This is devices that have IP addresses input on the devices them selves. Not from the router. 

Message 6 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks.  Less confused now.  The question began with the printers having static IP's and being very hard to set up, so the desire was to keep them with the same 0.x IP's.

As long as the Orbi is connected to a "modem", I see no issue.  Before I switches to a "modem" from a "modem/router", the modem/router took 192.168.0.1 for itself, and asssigned 192.168.0.2 to the Orbi.  Now that I have "only a modem", my Orbi gets the public IP and can set the LAN side to anything at all.

For a brief moment, I wondered if changing the subnet mask would achieve the same thing, but that would require changing the subnet mask on the printers, and not touching the printers is the whole point of the question.

Message 7 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

I see my mistake, typo:

"Set a new default IP addrss pool of 192.168.1.100 to .200, then you can set static IP addressed devices on either side of this pool."

I meant to put 192.168.0.100 to .200. My bad. Smiley Embarassed

Message 8 of 15

I saw that but figured it was a typo - thanks again - make sense

Message 9 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Smiley Wink

Message 10 of 15

Follow up:

Set up was easy - having done it before with many routers - and the switch from 192.168.1.1. to xxx.xxx.0.1 was also easy - though it required logging back in under 192.168.0.1 because the app was looking for 1.1 . . .  once I figured out what it was trying to do I got back in. 

One hitch in the giddy up was that there were no separate 2.4 and 5ghz names - and I used my old name 5ghz name - when I discovred there were no separate names I realized I was going to have to reconnect the printers manually - the IP reservations were simple - I pulled the MAC addresses off the java app that Brother provides before I started the process. 

I have not develved into the instruction manual to see if I can separate the names for the two systems so I will have to reconnect the scanner / printer which is the one that is the pita - and also all my exterior security cameras that run off 2.4ghz only. 

Speeds are 400mbps on a 400ghz connection both wired and then wireless in the same room as the router [on a 400mbps connection from Spectrum]  - I have a ethernet hub in the attic and I wired backhauled the satellites - speeds are 400mbps in the rooms where the sats are - so I'm happy. . .

Message 11 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad you got it working well. 

Officially NG does not support separation of SSIDs on Orbi systems, thus you wont see this in the UI. Though if you really have to, others have found way to separate SSID names. Those have done this are a mixed bag of success and failure. I would recommend running the system with a single SSID name for a while tor see how it runs for you. I have been using single SSID name since Smart Connect first appeared back in 2012. Overall it works well. Some users are just not into change which is understandable. There are some issues with connecting new 2.4Ghz IoT devices to Orbi. 

NG has help with this by allowing users to disable the SSID on either frequency to help get the IoT devices connect. This is not a Orbi issue, this is a IoT mfr issue that is with there setup software requiring the setup phone or pad to be connected to the 2.4Ghz radio only. Mfrs fail to realized that dual band phones or pads can connect to either frequency which both radios on are the SAME network side of the fence. Why IoT Mfrs limit this in there software is unknown. 

Be sure to make a backup configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

Message 12 of 15

it seems like my cameras and my Ring work fine by identifying the 2.4ghz section of the signal and running through it - so there is no need for me to split the systems -

Interesting the orbilogin.com does NOT identify the more recent firmware - its still two versions behind and does not recoginize a new firmware - thats likely a backroom problem at net gear.   If its working there is no reason to cause a problem! And contactng netgear will just cause confusion on their CS people - no one listens to what you are telling them and they have no way of fixing this issue  - they'll just send you standard answer number 4 and tell you to manually update - yeah-  I know how to do that-  not why I'm calling. 

Also - read my last post and we have a 400mbps connection not 400ghz - fat fingered that.  

Message 13 of 15
CrimpOn
Guru

@comanchepilot wrote:

it seems like my cameras and my Ring work fine by identifying the 2.4ghz section of the signal and running through it - so there is no need for me to split the systems -

I think you have saved yourself from a future of frustration.

@comanchepilot wrote:

Interesting the orbilogin.com does NOT identify the more recent firmware - its still two versions behind and does not recoginize a new firmware - thats likely a backroom problem at net gear.

It is frustrating that Netgear offers no explanation for this phenomenon.  My most "charitable" hypothsis is that (a) they see no urgency (i.e. security) reason to force this firmware if a person "has no problems", and (b) they would rather "wait and see" as people discover and install the new firmware manually.  If the early adopters discover significant issues, at least Netgear is not facing thousands of complaints that, "I did what you advised me to and now my system is broken!"

Message 14 of 15
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad it's working with out separation. As it should and does. Especially if you use the same SSID name and password from your old router. 

Ya the update mechanism is quirky to say the least. One reason why I manual update and apply FW my self. Sometimes it takes a while and you may see the update happen at a later time...

If your system is working for you. Keep it were it's at. Later on at somepoint or if you notice problems appearing, then maybe update yourself, factory reset and setup from scratch again. 

Besure to make a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. 

Enjoy. Smiley Wink

@comanchepilot wrote:

Interesting the orbilogin.com does NOT identify the more recent firmware - its still two versions behind and does not recoginize a new firmware - thats likely a backroom problem at net gear.   If its working there is no reason to cause a problem! And contactng netgear will just cause confusion on their CS people - no one listens to what you are telling them and they have no way of fixing this issue  - they'll just send you standard answer number 4 and tell you to manually update - yeah-  I know how to do that-  not why I'm calling. 

Also - read my last post and we have a 400mbps connection not 400ghz - fat fingered that.  

Message 15 of 15
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7